BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driver
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRAKE PADS WONT FIT AROUND ROTOR. I'm a little confused. I took off my pads and rotors and now putting it all back together, the pads will fit in the caliper but there's no room for the rotor to slide in there. I don't see anything different from when I removed them......? What am I missing? I'm sure it's really obvious and simple.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Is this your first time doing brakes? You have to push the brake piston back into the caliper. Make sure you don't overflow the master cylinder. I suggest finding a DIY.

Tim

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Exactly! The piston needs to be pressed in. Open the brake fluid reservoir cap first. You may need to remove excess fluid to prevent a mess.
Remove half the reservoir fluid slowly, a turkey baster will work. You can add fluid back in after the job is done.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,110 Posts
AND be sure to pump the brake pedal a couple of times after the job is finished and before the first drive to insure that the caliper chambers are full of fluid (pistons extended)
so that the new pads are centered and in their proper position, just clearing the rotor. Then follow the proper procedure for bedding in the new pads to the new/old rotors.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Suggestion: attach a length of tubing to caliper bleed port and crack the bleed valve open when you retract the piston to allow fluid to exit caliper - makes for easier work than messing with reservoir on master cylinder.

Locate a DIY video on YouTube...that will be useful.
Good luck /Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Read Only
735 Posts
If you never added fluid to the reservoir, are not too zealous when depressing the pucks, you do not need to worry about overflowing fluid. i.e. nothing added, nothing to overflow when returning to stock configuration.
Some pucks, especially on the rear of some makes, have to be turned to depress them. If your brake piston does not recede under the leverage of a large screw driver, pushing against the opening on the top of the caliper, then try twisting the piston with your hand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
BRAKE PADS WONT FIT AROUND ROTOR. I'm a little confused. I took off my pads and rotors and now putting it all back together, the pads will fit in the caliper but there's no room for the rotor to slide in there. I don't see anything different from when I removed them......? What am I missing? I'm sure it's really obvious and simple.
Brakes kind of important! Please access one of the good DIY write ups either here or on a commercial website like Bavarian motor sport..there are other things besides retracting the caliper piston that you really must do when changing brake pads..like cleaning the pad bearing surfaces in the calipers and applying some brake paste (BMW) or synthetic high temp caliper grease to allow pads to slide properly and help prevent squeal. If your car is older than a couple of years I'd also replace the spring clips..cheap and they also prevent brake squeal. If the slide pins are worn/grooved corroded etc...replace those if caliper "hangs up" you'll wear out your new pads real fast! Spending a bit more do do the job right..can save you a bunch!:thumbup:

PS If your fluid hasn't been flushed recently...do that while you have wheels off..good DOT 4 low viscosity fluid only costs about $15-20 for a liter can..enough to flush brake system properly.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts