BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a 2003 X5 4.6is it is a salvaged car the reason why it was salvaged was the front bumper was ripped off the airbags were not deployed it is fixed and looks in pristine condition there's a hundred and twenty thousand miles on it what should I look for ore should I run away just need a little help and guidance the suv looks awesome
$5500 for it

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just found a 2003 X5 4.6is it is a salvaged car the reason why it was salvaged was the front bumper was ripped off the airbags were not deployed it is fixed and looks in pristine condition there's a hundred and twenty thousand miles on it what should I look for ore should I run away just need a little help and guidance the suv looks awesome
$5500 for it
Have it gone over by a mechanic. These cars have a lot of expensive issues, especially the older they get.

·
Registered
572 Posts
these older beasts have tons of options, electrical, . expect to replace some of the suspension sometime down the road, maybe chain guides, alternator, water pump, . also you should ask for a list of repairs that were done to the x5 over the years. for the list of things to do, I could go on and on. possibly transfer case rebuild. tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I get it I plan on doing all the repair work myself I'm pretty handy and I've been pricing the parts at RockAuto they don't seem too expensive from what I've been reading it's when you take it to the dealer tou get bent over

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so the question i I'm posting now is I'm able to do all the work will this car still cost me out the wazoo from the research that I've done I can get the parts at a reasonable price that the labor that kills everything on these cars

·
Registered
833 Posts
Okay so the question i I'm posting now is I'm able to do all the work will this car still cost me out the wazoo from the research that I've done I can get the parts at a reasonable price that the labor that kills everything on these cars
The parts aren't cheep on these cars, even after market. There are lots of parts to go wrong on them as well. Perfect example: rear window washer pump doesn't work, just replace the pump right? Not on an X5. The pump can be good but the computer chip on the rear wiper motor can be bad. New one? $150. Stuff like this goes wrong on these cars all the time. Another example: DSC warning light. Read the codes and I have a bad steering angle sensor. Found one on line for $80. OEM is three times that. Replacing it is a major pain in the ass AND you have to take it to the stealer to program it after it was installed. Dealer charge? $193. These cars aren't cheap to fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The parts aren't cheep on these cars, even after market. There are lots of parts to go wrong on them as well. Perfect example: rear window washer pump doesn't work, just replace the pump right? Not on an X5. The pump can be good but the computer chip on the rear wiper motor can be bad. New one? $150. Stuff like this goes wrong on these cars all the time. Another example: DSC warning light. Read the codes and I have a bad steering angle sensor. Found one on line for $80. OEM is three times that. Replacing it is a major pain in the ass AND you have to take it to the stealer to program it after it was installed. Dealer charge? $193. These cars aren't cheap to fix.
So what I'm hearing is no matter how cheap I get this car it's going to cost me an arm and a leg and a so I should just go buy a Toyota lol

·
Registered
833 Posts
if you can pick it up for 3000.00 and like working on vehicles like I do than go for it. imho
I'm with pudinboo. You like working on cars and can get this one cheap, buy it. But, plan on spending plenty on parts and plenty of hours working on it. Buy the Bentley manual. You'll see how many specialty tools you'll need to do the work. I like working on cars, but these are a pain in the effing ass. If it can possibly be over-engineered the Germans will do it that way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i just inherited my grandfather's '03 3.0 with 95k it needs some work but thankfully nothing in the thousands. when that day comes it will be on the market, just can't put thousands of dollars into a car right now even though i'm a former mechanic & can do most jobs myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Well let my mechanic look over it from top to bottom he says it looks good I'll probably pull the trigger I was trying to get just a little info and you guys blew my mind

1 - 17 of 17 Posts