Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hit a deer about 2 months ago and I need to replace the hood. Preferably a carbon fiber hood but I haven't had luck in the past. I purchased a carbon creations good that came cracked so that was junk but I was wondering if anybody has bought a Seibon carbon fiber hood before? And if so how was it? Thank you for the feedback :)

·
Automotive Hack
177 Posts
I'm looking to do the same. Btw I have a brand new oem hood for sale, black. $350

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have one that oxidized white after 3yrs on my car - in my own opinion stick with the oem bmw hood - also i believe that changing the hood affected the overall ride because of the reduced front weight-i bought mine on craigslist new for $300 in hopes to have the original repainted for blistering paint and chips on the front

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Check eBay they have a vented hood for 500 bucks

·
Supercharged 540i
426 Posts
If your looking at getting a carbon fiber hood make sure it's a double sided one. If you need pic's of what I'm talking about I'll send you some. My hood is a Vorsteiner. It's been on my car for over 6 years and no problems. It is one of the higher priced carbon hoods on the market.

Attachments

·
Automotive Hack
177 Posts
The hoods on eBay for 450-500 that have 2/4 vents are crap from what I've heard. This is coming from someone who uses eBay regularly for certain things. The problem is they are duraflex. From the reviews I've read they don't fit well, are wavy and even after a ton of work they only look good from "20 feet away". You only want cf or polypropelene.. Anything I have ever ordered by the way, with abs on one side and carbon fiber on the other has needed to be heat treated for proper fitment, such as window spoilers etc.

I'm entertaining the idea of buying a beat oem hood, taking a torch to it, cutting some holes and welding in a few vents and something to give the middle a raised profile with fiberglass.. I used to make surfboards but this would be my first time trying anything like this, but with very little pressure. I'm not sure if I can tackle if. Postponing my paint job until I decide.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sounds intersting. Use your beat up hood for practice first. It will help you test your welding on the thin sheet metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts