BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I saw that too. More buttons... mine works just fine thank you.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't know what all the buttons in front of the knob are (and I think there are probably too many), but the 'Back' button I see behind the knob is a welcome addition in my opinion.

Also I have to assume either this is a photoshop or they're not waiting for the F10 to upgrade to the new iDrive because that's definitely the E60 interior (shoehorned/duct-taped like a mule, the trim has been made to fit the new controller).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here's another shot of it from Bimmerfile...

Buttons look like: SAT, NAV, CD, Tel,??

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/04/24/exclusive-e60-spotted-with-updated-idrive/

"That aside, one of our sources has confirmed that this update should begin production around 09/08 assuming all things go well with final testing.

So we have now seen this udpated iDrive controller on three 2009 BMWs, the new 7er, the aging 5er and the current E90 3er. What this tells us is that BMW seems interested in implementing this change throughout the range as soon as possible. In fact it***8217;s perhaps particularly telling that BMW will be updating the E60, a car scheduled to be replaced for the 2010 model year. While we can***8217;t confirm this new iDrive interface controller will show-up on other models for 2009, we wouldn***8217;t be entirely surprised.

One thing to note. The above images are not spy photos but final marketing pics. While we can***8217;t go into detail about where the photos are from, we can clearly say that what you see above is not a test mule but final images for marketing related material."

·
Registered
481 Posts
Doh.

I figured my car wouldn't be outdated for two years when the F10 came out. I'm gonna be *sadface* if it's three months.

·
Giant Robot
608 Posts
A total step in the wrong direction. I said it in another thread; they've got a software problem, not a hardware problem. More buttons just makes it worse. They should hire a design firm (or me). Getting rid of haptics was also a bad idea.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A total step in the wrong direction. I said it in another thread; they've got a software problem, not a hardware problem. More buttons just makes it worse. They should hire a design firm (or me). Getting rid of haptics was also a bad idea.
Totally agree. I hate it. I like mine so much more. I just wish I had haptics. We don't need more buttons.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Again, not having the experience of prior versions, it's hard for us to discuss/compare some of this since we're not necessarily calibrated to the same iDrive implementation. My 01/08 build has a level of haptic feedback in the controller, if I'm understanding what that term means.

Specifically, for example, each rotation through say the alphabet list provides slight resistance so that I can keep track of which letter I'm rotated to without looking at the screen. Isn't that the type of feedback you desire in the controller, or is there another level of feel that was present previously and is gone now?

Sorry, I'm just not clear what haptics you had before.

Agree, no more buttons (maybe 'back'), just solutions improved via the iDrive software, and its interwoven voice recognition complement would be super.

Cal

·
Registered
395 Posts
+1. The deficiencies with iDrive are software-related, not hardware. Adding more buttons is just an attempt to over-engineer your way out of a problem.

BTW I really hate the new gear shifter, too. You go to put the car in park and instead it's in reverse. That's not just annoying; it's dangerous. It's an even better example of over-engineering.

·
Registered
246 Posts
travel4B;3231036 Adding more buttons is just an attempt to over-engineer your way out of a problem. .[/QUOTE said:
I'm not a fan of adding more buttons, EXCEPT a back button. IMO that would be a huge improvement and very intuitive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Again, not having the experience of prior versions, it's hard for us to discuss/compare some of this since we're not necessarily calibrated to the same iDrive implementation. My 01/08 build has a level of haptic feedback in the controller, if I'm understanding what that term means.

Specifically, for example, each rotation through say the alphabet list provides slight resistance so that I can keep track of which letter I'm rotated to without looking at the screen. Isn't that the type of feedback you desire in the controller, or is there another level of feel that was present previously and is gone now?

Sorry, I'm just not clear what haptics you had before.

Agree, no more buttons (maybe 'back'), just solutions improved via the iDrive software, and its interwoven voice recognition complement would be super.

Cal
No, not the haptic feedback we are talking about. Prior to the '08 models, the idrive controller would stop turning at the end of a list, and vibrate in your hand somewhat. This controller is totally different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't go the way of Audi

I just got sold an 08 Audi I had with their verision of I Drive... I hated it!!!! Too many buttons way to complicated compareed to iDrive in my opinion... I've had my I drive for a week and it functions just fine.. I think it is a good system much simpler than Audi, that should be kept and refined... But please!!!! Let's hope for no more buttons to push...

·
Registered
548 Posts
No, not the haptic feedback we are talking about. Prior to the '08 models, the idrive controller would stop turning at the end of a list, and vibrate in your hand somewhat. This controller is totally different.
Mine's an '07 an it does not vibrate at the end of a list, should it? I do not have NAV.

Could I have missed a software revision?

·
Registered
676 Posts
+1. I have never been fan of iDrive, but only because software was/is wrong. They don't need more buttons. Apple does not keep adding buttons to iPod or iPhone. With correct UI design it is not necessary.

·
Registered
548 Posts
travel4B;3231036 BTW I really hate the new gear shifter said:
I am so nervous about the gear shifter too - occassionally I find myself going set the gear in the wrong direction. I do like the clean lines and the joystick like looks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine's an '07 an it does not vibrate at the end of a list, should it? I do not have NAV.

Could I have missed a software revision?
Only NAV equiped cars had the haptic feedback.

From what I have read, they removed the haptic feedback from the 08's as it used too much of the car's processing power, thus slowing down the idrive interface. I would trade in my car's haptic feedback for more speed in the idrive system in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 01/08 iDrive isn't as fast as it should be (heck, there ought to be an 80GB hard drive in this car, too, wouldn't ya think?), but it's speed isn't highly distracting. I agree with jsimmons et al that the bigger improvement opportunities lie in the software design, such as the layout and organization of the menus, continuous scrolling through A to Z to A, back button type capability, and uniform consistent hiearchy to the menu structures from one place to another... Lots to improve, but still when coupled with Voice I find it highly functional, pretty intuitive, and a giant plus compared to a bunch of buttons and/or touch screen maneuvers to do the functions. The Voice Recognition is very capable for the most part.

Cal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, the new iDrive is not even out yet, none of you have tried to play with it, and already you guys smash it to peices like its nothing. I can see this happening on a "civic" forum - with a bunch of ingorant teenagers ... never thought you guys would be so synical. Not one person has said "lets wait and see". Maybe you guys should be writing book about this kind of stuff ... and maybe someone will read it and recomend you guys to be a part of the "design team" at BMW.

Grow up.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
+1. The deficiencies with iDrive are software-related, not hardware. Adding more buttons is just an attempt to over-engineer your way out of a problem.

BTW I really hate the new gear shifter, too. You go to put the car in park and instead it's in reverse. That's not just annoying; it's dangerous. It's an even better example of over-engineering.
I don't mind the shifter. It may be that this is my first auto transmission since I shared a car with my mom 40 years ago, so I have no habits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts