BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut my teeth in the car business selling Nissans back in the mid 80's... The first thing that I noticed when I sat in this car was that it smelled like a Nissan inside... Amazing ~ our human memory for olfactory perception, isn't it??? Like a particular perfume or cologne, and the memories associated with it... ;-)

Initial impression ~ very nice car at a great price (i.e. tremendous value). Really liked the factory air intake - almost like a "ram air" system. No need to purchase an aftermarket CAI system with this auto. Reclining rear seats also impressive. Supple, luxurious leather. The car does lack BMW's unique steering /road feel, though...

What do y'all think???

:bigpimp:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I agree Jon - nothing to worry about,

Talk about the E65's rear end... :tsk:

What's with the '70's MB headlights? :yikes:

Can we say uninspiring, cheap?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I don't know what it is about Japanese car interiors. I was sitting in a LS430 a little while ago, and with my eyes closed, the ergonomics, the feel of materials and switchgear were absolutely unbeatable. Certainly better in those aspects than my car, or even a E39. Open my eyes and look around, and it looks way crapper than it feels. I don't know what it is. VAG products get both aspects as close to spot-on as I've ever seen.

As for Nissans, I've started reading in the auto press that Ghosn is doing a great job turning Nissan around productwise, but possibly at the sacrifice of quality. And at least from checking out the interiors of the new Altima and G35, I have to agree. And to think, until I started finding out info about the R35 Skyline, I swore to myself I'd dump any car I had for a Skyline when it finally came to the US.
:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Now that you mentioned about ergonomics, I did find that the interior of the IS300 is better designed than our E46. However, the quality is otherwise.

Funny how you mentioned Skyline here. I was reading a review about it just yesterday. That car certainly has something to rave about. BUT...I will kill to see the Skyline race alongside on a touring championship with BMWs.

Kaz said:
I don't know what it is about Japanese car interiors. I was sitting in a LS430 a little while ago, and with my eyes closed, the ergonomics, the feel of materials and switchgear were absolutely unbeatable. Certainly better in those aspects than my car, or even a E39. Open my eyes and look around, and it looks way crapper than it feels. I don't know what it is. VAG products get both aspects as close to spot-on as I've ever seen.

As for Nissans, I've started reading in the auto press that Ghosn is doing a great job turning Nissan around productwise, but possibly at the sacrifice of quality. And at least from checking out the interiors of the new Altima and G35, I have to agree. And to think, until I started finding out info about the R35 Skyline, I swore to myself I'd dump any car I had for a Skyline when it finally came to the US.
:thumbdwn:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

Funny how you mentioned Skyline here. I was reading a review about it just yesterday. That car certainly has something to rave about. BUT...I will kill to see the Skyline race alongside on a touring championship with BMWs.

You do realize that the G35 = Skyline, right?

·
Polemicist
109 Posts
ALEX325i said:
I agree Jon - nothing to worry about,

Talk about the E65's rear end... :tsk:
The LEDs are sweet! BMW should do this.

What's with the '70's MB headlights? :yikes:
Very nice, reminds me of a Porsche.

The tilting gauges are a fabulous idea! I wish BMW would change the font on their gauges one of these days...it looks too old school.

·
Registered
595 Posts
thoughts.

Jon S: i agree with you. the best part about the RWDers coming from japan though? they make BMW more market-responsive. they won't sit on the 330 for long without tweaking it. there's no question they can continue to demand the price premium, but HP is still necessary. in that sense, it's fantastic to have the G35 around. maybe kicking BMW around in a few comparo's will help (i'll bet it does because the 10k price differential and you know reviewers, they do see that as an edge).

Kaz: jamie kitman (last page columnist for Automobile) wrote a nice article espousing exactly what you wrote. turnaround is great as mediated by ghosn, but at what cost? and the cost is clearly the interior of the non-infinity nissans. been in a new altima lately? yeck yeck yeck. can't wait to see how downhill the maxima after this generation goes in terms of interior costcutting.

it would never happen, but imagine if BMW sold a clubsport 330 coupe? track ready and able to go head to head with the Z car? the margins which they never make on their M cars could be made on such a car since it would be using some M parts already paid for in R&D and track-tested. but the premium over the cost of the standard e46 330 would make money. no power seats, no power windows, no SAT/NAV. putting out about 260hp, it would scream.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was looking to buy a G35

that is until I drove one (twice) and compared it to a 330i. It handles fine (even great) but all the dash and steering wheel buttons are cheap and will begin falling a part in a few years.

Also, their resale value is unproven being a first year car and if they start dicounting them in a few years, it will be even worse.

The Infiniti dealer called me last (Wed) and had a fully loaded one for $36k + ....

Got my 330 for less than $38k on Thursday.

You do the Math...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
jastevenson said:

Talk about the E65's rear end...
The LEDs are sweet! BMW should do this.
What?

What's with the '70's MB headlights?
Very nice, reminds me of a Porsche.
What??

The tilting gauges are a fabulous idea! I wish BMW would change the font on their gauges one of these days...it looks too old school.
What???

Well, what can I say? I'd go get a G35 right now if I were you then...

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
:dunno: Not feeling that design. Fugly, I think the E65 looks better.

Reminds me of the old adage "You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Ooh-

that G35 dash pic definitely sheds a "low quality" light on the car. It looks like the silver guage faces are metallic stickers (which i'm sure they are). Looks like a cheap toy. Granted- I bet it rattles less than my BMW-- but i'd rather have my ears assaulted than my eyes. Yuck.:thumbdwn:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
kaz/vince: i thought i read somewhere that the r34 replacement will just be called the gt-r while the g35 was supposed to be called the skyline to take one very marketable name the "skyline gt-r" and split it between 2 cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.