BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car 2 years ago with one key only.

After misplacing my key last week and couldn't find it for like three days I decided to go to the stealer and order another master key. The new key came in and I was told they will program it as part of the purchase.

So new key would not do anything when service guy put it in as he says all that needs to be done is to turn and hold for 5 seconds in start position for car to learn key but nothing happened and we got the light on dash with pic of key and line going threw it.
Now I did mention to the guy that I read about initiation procedure and he said that just makes the buttons for lock and unlock etc etc to work but all the new key needs to do is put in ignition and turn and hold to learn car. We did the initiation thing after I mentioned it and locks do not function.

So after the tech brought my car in for a diagnosis he said must be faulty key and they ordered another one from BMW and that came in today so back to the dealer I went and same ****..

So now he is telling me there is some thing wrong with my car and Im gonna have to pay for diagnoses and repair ounce problem is found..

SO MY QUESTION IS

How is my old key that I got with car working perfect for 2 years now OK, and the new key from BMW ( codded to my car with VIN ) not working at all but there is some thing wrong with my car???

Are these guys just trying to get some dollar's out of me as parts department told me it is FREE to activate key to car..

AND THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH MY CAR AS ALL THINGS FUNCTION PERFECTLY except for the dreaded valve cover gasket leak which I am fixing this week..

So any help PLEASE!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
They most likely should use their software to activate the key. Depending on how many keys have been registered to the car in the past, some not being used should be deleted.

·
Michael
2,288 Posts
+1. There are only so many keys that can be coded into the ECU before you have to change the unit. It strikes me that the garage you are using do not seem to understand the key initiation process.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I bought my car 2 years ago with one key only.

After misplacing my key last week and couldn't find it for like three days I decided to go to the stealer and order another master key. The new key came in and I was told they will program it as part of the purchase.

So new key would not do anything when service guy put it in as he says all that needs to be done is to turn and hold for 5 seconds in start position for car to learn key but nothing happened and we got the light on dash with pic of key and line going threw it.
Now I did mention to the guy that I read about initiation procedure and he said that just makes the buttons for lock and unlock etc etc to work but all the new key needs to do is put in ignition and turn and hold to learn car. We did the initiation thing after I mentioned it and locks do not function.

So after the tech brought my car in for a diagnosis he said must be faulty key and they ordered another one from BMW and that came in today so back to the dealer I went and same ****..

So now he is telling me there is some thing wrong with my car and Im gonna have to pay for diagnoses and repair ounce problem is found..

SO MY QUESTION IS

How is my old key that I got with car working perfect for 2 years now OK, and the new key from BMW ( codded to my car with VIN ) not working at all but there is some thing wrong with my car???

Are these guys just trying to get some dollar's out of me as parts department told me it is FREE to activate key to car..

AND THERE IS NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH MY CAR AS ALL THINGS FUNCTION PERFECTLY except for the dreaded valve cover gasket leak which I am fixing this week..

So any help PLEASE!!!!
Your car can have up to 4 keys programmed to it at one time. I would seriously doubt that it has had that many keys ever programmed.

Tot procedure he is suggesting is COMPLETELY WRONG! 5 seconds holding the start button will do nothing if the key was not programmed to the car. Programing the key to the car requires sophisticated programing and whoever you are talking to is completely wrong.

They do not have a clue, and your replacement key is most likely OK. You will need to get to a BMW dealer that knows what they are doing to get this sorted out.

Is this really a dealer or just s BMW shop?

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok to clarify things, I bought key at dealer in NJ ( Springfield BMW ) and was told key cost $140 including programming the key to car..

Key came in and service guy gets in car and does the 5 second thing mentioned in first post ( doesn't work ).

Then he says we need to check key so his tech brings it in the bay where I am not allowed to go and watch.

30 minutes later mechanic drives car out and says key fob is bad ( the new key ) and they order another under warranty and I DO NOT PAY any thing.

When service guys comes to me to give me my original key he says there might be some thing wrong with car itself but won't know till second key ( warranted key ) comes in and next time we will have to charge you.

So 2 days later I go back to the dealership ( bMW ) and the parts guy won't hand me the key and takes it straight to the service guy who walks over and says let's go try this one..

We go to my car and he does the z5second key to the start position and says no good car won't except key. I say to him I saw that there is an initiation procedure for my key and he says that is for locking door buttons not the ignition. I tell him to do it and it doesn't do anything ..

He now tells me I need to make an appointment to bring car in as it's the car with problem not key..

I think I'm being lied to and there trying to get me to pay even though I was told programing key was FREE at time of purchase by there BMW parts guy.

So what is supposed to be done to get my key to work????

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way I am 3 owner and all previous owners brought car to dealer for all maintenance and my history shows no keys have ever been programmed to this car or car ever having a key issue at all so only keys programmed to my car are the ones came with it new..

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also,I have the diamond key NOT the push button comfort access so key needs to go in ignition and turned to start.. ( NO BUTTON )

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Ok to clarify things, I bought key at dealer in NJ ( Springfield BMW ) and was told key cost $140 including programming the key to car..

Key came in and service guy gets in car and does the 5 second thing mentioned in first post ( doesn't work ).

Then he says we need to check key so his tech brings it in the bay where I am not allowed to go and watch.

30 minutes later mechanic drives car out and says key fob is bad ( the new key ) and they order another under warranty and I DO NOT PAY any thing.

When service guys comes to me to give me my original key he says there might be some thing wrong with car itself but won't know till second key ( warranted key ) comes in and next time we will have to charge you.

So 2 days later I go back to the dealership ( bMW ) and the parts guy won't hand me the key and takes it straight to the service guy who walks over and says let's go try this one..

We go to my car and he does the z5second key to the start position and says no good car won't except key. I say to him I saw that there is an initiation procedure for my key and he says that is for locking door buttons not the ignition. I tell him to do it and it doesn't do anything ..

He now tells me I need to make an appointment to bring car in as it's the car with problem not key..

I think I'm being lied to and there trying to get me to pay even though I was told programing key was FREE at time of purchase by there BMW parts guy.

So what is supposed to be done to get my key to work????
Does your working key still work, or has the new key messed up everything? I have an 2005 & when I got an extra key made, a similar procedure was done. Something like they put in the working key, remove put in the new key, then put the working key back in & shut the door. It has been years, but I saw it done. The car key memory needs to be accessed, to read all keys ever registered to the car. At this point you can disable keys, add keys, or delete keys. Ask for you money back for the non working key, & go elsewhere. 140.00 is very cheap for a key.

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey hurb my existing key still works fine.. the procedure you spoke of and gave me a link to is ehat I tried plus the service guy..

I get nothing from the key meaning wont initialize at all..

I am going to call other dealers but I have a feeling my dealer is bull****ting me so they cancharge for a an hour of program or even try and tell me I need some computer part..

I HATE DEALERS..

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hey hurb my existing key still works fine.. the procedure you spoke of and gave me a link to is ehat I tried plus the service guy..

I get nothing from the key meaning wont initialize at all..

I am going to call other dealers but I have a feeling my dealer is bull****ting me so they cancharge for a an hour of program or even try and tell me I need some computer part..

I HATE DEALERS..
Find a good indie. They can program it.

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to my indie shop ( is that a bmw mechanic not dealer ) and he told me key should come from BMW already programmed to start car and only thing is to do the unlock and lock button initiation that is the hold and push 3 t
iMessage thing..

He thinks Bmw north has the wrong info for my car as he finds it weird that two keys didn't function..

If there was problem with car then my key ( old one I use now ) wouldn't functIon either as system needs to identify key..

So now indie told me to try calling bmw direct as I shouldn't need to be charged for key repair or car repair..

I'm STUMPED...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Over the years, I've bought two replacement keys and it was smooth process. Expensive, but showed up, they did something, car started, off I went.

I would suggest searching for "key" under E60 and E65 forums. Lots of commonality with the E63/4 and many more cars, particularly the E60. I have found answers to problems in those forums that you would not see here.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Is ther anyone here that has bought there key from BMW that can chime in????
I purchased the same exact key for my 645. The key must be ordered from BMW with the serial number to match the car. You must show proof of ownership, before the key is made. The key comes out of Germany. They are the only company that can supply the key. Go to the 7 Series forum, & read some of their sticky's. Paper is the moderator there that knows a lot about key procedures, I am sure he can lead you in the right direction. Your only other way to fix your problem would be to order a new CAS module, that comes with 2 new keys. It would still have to be programmed to the car by a dealer. Ask the dealer if you pay them for a hour of service to find the problem, Will they guarantee their solution?

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys went back to the stealer today and after car was in service bay for ten minutes they came out and told me that 8 out of my 10 key addresses in the cas module were BLOCKED..

So I'm sure they blocked them as the cars history NEVER showed car being bought in for ANY keys..

So now they want close to $2000 for new module with programming and they won't let me return the key I purchased from them so guess I got screwed..

THANKS BMW of Springfield NJ you just ****ed another customer..

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys who is using coding software and what is a good recommendation for software as I see the BM tech is outa business and doesn't look like guys can share the software???

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Well guys went back to the stealer today and after car was in service bay for ten minutes they came out and told me that 8 out of my 10 key addresses in the cas module were BLOCKED..

So I'm sure they blocked them as the cars history NEVER showed car being bought in for ANY keys..

So now they want close to $2000 for new module with programming and they won't let me return the key I purchased from them so guess I got screwed..

THANKS BMW of Springfield NJ you just ****ed another customer..
If there are 2 available, 1 is probably your working key. The new key should be able to be registered to the car with Progman.

·
CRAZY ABOUT CARS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they blocked 9 outa ten spots but I got a friend of a friend that works for a dealer and he is going to look at my car on his free time.. he told me key can be unblocked..

So I will keep you guys updated..

For now I am looking for the best software program to get for my car as I have a really good lap top that is empty and ready for it so anyone using a good software package please let me know..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts