BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently live in Hawaii but are moving to SW Virginia next summer. We would like to order a full loaded M3 (a long-time dream car!) for pick up at the Performance center in July/Early Aug 2017. Key questions:

1. Can we shoot for a 2018 model if SOP M3 calendar will likely begin 7/17? (.i.e. if you sign up WAY early - can you get a model a month after production begins?
2. How much lead time would be required?
3. Which dealership/method of order should we use? Do we need to use a dealer here in Hawaii if the car will never be here?

Thanks!!

Ben Cable

·
Registered
683 Posts
Cool! Where abouts in SW VA?

With '18 M3 SOP 7/2017, you would be looking at a late August/Sept delivery at PCD. Any earlier than that and you'd be getting a '17.

Since you want PCD, that frees you up to use any store in the USA. There are several sponsors on here that will give you a no nonsense deal/experience. I personally use John Weltzien at Braman WPB, Florida. They're not the bottom basement on price, but it's no hassle and a decent deal.

Since it's not a Euro Delivery you don't need a huge lead time (5+ mos), but you still need to find a store with an allocation - build slot to meet your timeline. Allocations usually come out the month before (i.e. July allocations come in June).

Mahalo!

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
New M3 for Summer

We are moving to Roanoke, VA this next summer.

Thanks for the advice! Just a few more questions from this infomation:

As the M3 F80 production run appears to be from 2015-2017 - does this imply a big revision for 2018 or no?

If allocations come out only a month prior, what advice would you give as far a choosing a dealer? (i.e. how do you know they will have an allocation five months later?)

Does the Spartanburg plant make all of the models (including the M3)?

Thanks again! This is a huge help!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

As the M3 F80 production run appears to be from 2015-2017 - does this imply a big revision for 2018 or no?

If allocations come out only a month prior, what advice would you give as far a choosing a dealer? (i.e. how do you know they will have an allocation five months later?)

Spartanburg only makes X series vehicles (no M3s).

You would negotiate with a dealer for performance center pickup and an agreed upon price (preferrably a markup above invoice), ahead of time. You would want to work with a dealer that sells a decent amount of M cars as the amount of allocations is reportedly determined by the historical sales of M cars for that dealer.

You would want to pick an experienced client advisor since you have some specific requirements that you are trying to hit (specific time frame, right at the beginning of the model year run etc), and you want someone who will be straight with you and tell you one way or another if they can do it.

LOTs of client advisors will say "we can do it" because they want the sale, and its easier after the fact to tell you "sorry its slipped a bit". You will want to get someone who knows the ins and outs of the process very well and has connections to make things happen for you.

if you move your time back a bit so its not so tight, it might be easier.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Cool! You'll enjoy the Roanoke Valley and the NRV -- I live in Blacksburg. The BlueRidge Parkway is a fun place to drive the ///M :) -- as close as you'll get to the German Alpine Roads.

I echo @jjrandorin comments -- On the production run, the LCI - Lifecycle Impulse / Midlife Update / whatcha call it came with MY'16, so there will probably be up to MY'19 F80's. The next big update will be the new generation GXX based on their CLAR platform tech.

Keep in mind that the F80 allocations are _much_ harder to come by... M4's are easy comparatively.

As to what store to use -- visit the sponsor page --> http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSponsor.php?&action=listsitesponsorindex

Some of the good ones are -- John Weltzien @ Braman Motorcars West Palm Beach Florida (I use him)
Adrian Avila @ United BMW Gwinnett / Atlanta
Greg Poland @ Pacific BMW

I'd reach out to them early next year and start the conversation/planning.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts