BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am fortunate enough to be deciding between these two cars as my next vehicle.I'm going to make the purcahse in the next month or so because I will need to get on the wait list. Just want everyones opinions between the two. I am deciding between the sedan M3 and the M5. I like them both just wondering if anyone can point something out that is decidingly better between the two. Also, if anyone knows if they are planning an M5 model change in the future.

Chad

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well I can tell you that the look of the 5 will definitely be updated prior to the 3, since the E60 has been around since 2004 and the E9X has only been around since 2006.

With that said, I would still go for the M5, if you can afford the price difference. The M5 will have much more to offer, plus if you're any bigger than 5'10", you will be much more comfortable in the 5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Symbolic,

Although both cars are Sports/Luxury sedans, the M3 leans towards the Sports side, where the M5 leans towards luxury.
Which way do you lean?
Are you planning on track days, or is this going to be for fun/daily driving around town with nights out with your significant other?

Al. Wise

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
M5 > *

·
I'm a Highway Star
1,059 Posts
all i have to say is: you lucky bastard! take your time and make the right decision.
The M3 is beautiful, and the 4-door version is the best of both worlds. But, if money is no object, get the M5, and buy stock in tire and petroleum company companies (it eats tires and chugs gas [as bad as 9mpg]). Enjoy it, ya lucky bastage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I have had a chance to be in the new M3 but not an M5 yet. I am tall 6'4", but I didnt find the M3 uncomfortable at all. I was leaning toward the M5 just because there are less of them but I am concerned that I will buy one and then BMW will change the styling. It will be purely a street car no racing just some aggressive driving. In terms of strait line power how does the M5 compare to the M3?? I know that the M5 has 100 more hp but does it feel like it? And does the M5 really feel that sluggish compared to the M3? I am going to try and get a test drive for an M5 but there just isnt many of them around at all.

Chad

·
Registered
993 Posts
BMW will change the styling of the M5 whether you buy one or not. They'll do the same thing with the M3, only a couple years later. BMW's **generally** run on seven year life cycles (there are plenty of exceptions to the rule of course).

The current 5 (e60) was introduced in 2004, which means that a new one will roll along in 2011. Generally M-cars are introduced a couple years into the chassis (e.g. the e39 came out in 96/97, but the first M's came out in 2000), so you can probably expect a new M5 in 2014 or so.

All of the above is true for the current 3 (e9x), but add 2 years to each date; so you can expect a new 3 in 2013 and a new M3 in 2016 or so.

I personally don't like either sedan, but think that the 5 is less unattractive. The M3 coupe, however, is gorgeous.

Oh, and my guess is that the M5 doesn't feel sluggish.

·
Registered
464 Posts
M5. For me, it was a no brainer. Room to COMFORTABILY fit 4, performance and hp galore and the ability to drive long distances and not have the kids complain. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
106 Posts
6'4? yeah you can fit BUT it still must be a bit small on you. I can not imagine anyone really needing more power then my '01 provides so the V10 in the new M5 has to be more then sufficient and you still get plenty of space.

You picking it up in Germany? If I had the coin it would be a hoot to do something like that and tour around a bit too. I'd imagine BMW shows their customers a great time when they do the European Delivery program for such a car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts