with a warrantee left for about 60 k

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
M3 gets my pick.

·
(Insert one liner here)
2,961 Posts
if mpg aint one of ur concerns then get the M5, i love the look of em, and with the extra room, that'd be my pic

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I definitely want a sedan. I love having a 540 and not feeling cramped. Just want to update the styling and power of my 540. I thought about buying an E39 M5 but I like the warranty aspect of owning a new car. Another questiuon I have been contimplating is whether or not to go with SMG or the 6spd. Any thoughts? Never used SMG.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I'd say M5, but like some others have mentioned you should really take a long hard look at the M6.

·
Registered
552 Posts
he wants a 4 door..no M6...

I would drive them both, its really the only way to know

You arent going to notice the difference in acceleration..0-60 numbers differing in tenths of seconds are not noticeable...

Also you said you are not going to be stoplight racing.

Both will handle well

I would imagine the M3 will be more nimble and fun to toss around since it is a smaller car. The M5 will prob feel "bigger"

However if you are looking for a more mature performance sedan, the M5 is likely to fit your bill.

If I were you, I would wait a few months..because the M3 sedan has the option of the M-DCT transmission (or 6 speed) and the M5 has only the SMG (or 6 speed)..I would wait a few months because BMW will prob bring the M-DCT available on the M5 soon.

happy shopping and remember to post pics :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If I were you, I would wait a few months..because the M3 sedan has the option of the M-DCT transmission (or 6 speed) and the M5 has only the SMG (or 6 speed)..I would wait a few months because BMW will prob bring the M-DCT available on the M5 soon.
Thanks for the input. That is something I never considered. I actually dont know much about that transmission option at all. I will have to investigate a little.

Chad

21 - 33 of 33 Posts