Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
meh
2,941 Posts
Very very tempting... But I'm gonna hold off till after the first shipment hits the streets. Gotta think there may be some growing pains...

--nw

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to wait for more of the native apps to be released, along with upgrade costs for those apps, if any. A dual-core laptop is pretty exciting stuff though (especially since it's my primary D2X image crunching machine).

·
meh
2,941 Posts
I'm waiting to see what kind of cross platform tools are released. I use a dell for windows at work, and a powerbook for everything at home... if I could combine them into one machine, I would be a very happy camper.

I'm guessing at a minimum It can dual-boot. I would prefer a VMWare type solution, which Im guessing will be released soon.

Slightly disappointed they went with a one button trackpad... considering they finally moved to a two button mouse. Very surprised they dropped the 800MHz firewire (only has 400). I would also prefer a higher resolution screen...

--nw

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nowonder said:
I'm guessing at a minimum It can dual-boot. I would prefer a VMWare type solution, which Im guessing will be released soon.

Not with the current release of Windows, apparently: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/12/mactels.cant.run.xp/

It will be interesting to see how Virtual PC performs on Intel hardware, but I would guess that will be the last product Microsoft delivers for the new platform.

·
Registered
19,863 Posts
I think this year will be a good year for Intel stocks since they now sell their chips to regular PC'S and Apple Computers:) That new Intel chip is also in the new Windows Notebooks which also registered faster speeds with the new chip in it.

·
meh
2,941 Posts
Cliff3 said:
Not with the current release of Windows, apparently: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/12/mactels.cant.run.xp/

It will be interesting to see how Virtual PC performs on Intel hardware, but I would guess that will be the last product Microsoft delivers for the new platform.
Well, Microsoft committed to five more years of Office for the mac, apparently it has a good profit margin. They did drop support for the Mac Windows Media Player, but are supplying a third party plug-in for quicktime that works better anyway.

They claim they are working on VPC for the intel machines, but apple hasn't given them the low level access they need yet (not surprising, I'm sure they have been busy getting everything else to work). Whenever they get it done, it should be very close to the speed a dual-boot setup would supply, but still won't be ideal for games.

--nw

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will likely suck for games, but gamers generally don't buy Macs, or they have some other piece of hardware for that purpose. Hopefully it won't suck for the odd Windows only applications I still use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts