BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New (MAJOR) Strike Planned for Friday by Lufthansa

1804 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ciboM5
Lufthansa Flight Attendants to Strike Across Germany Friday, Hundreds of Flights Cancelled

By Dan Collins

Lufthansa's main flight attendant union, the Unabhängige Flugbegleiter Organisation (UFO), announced plans for a-24 hour strike on Friday, September 7. The strike will impact all 16 German airports served by Lufthansa.

This is the latest and most severe of the flight attendant union's actions, the first of which cancelled over 300 flights at Frankfurt am Main airport and continued Tuesday at Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin's Tegel airports, with over 350 cancellations …
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
What are the chances of this strike lasting until September 19?
We depart on the 19th of Sept. for Stuttgart, may make a rental car reservation in Frankfurt, or opt for the ICE train to get there for pickup.
I depart Sunday from Charlotte. Have any long haul flights been affected?
thanks for info. i am flying on friday, but with fortunately with swiss... anyway, probably the flight will be overbooked...
We are on a Lufthansa flight from LHR to MUC on 9/8. Looks like our flight number is cancelled on 9/7/. Think it is worthwhile to try and get on another airline or stay the course?
We've been spared, for now, since we're arriving in Munich on the 8th, after the strike is over. My fear is being stranded in Germany on the 15th.
The airline you booked with is responsible for making new arrangmeents for you if things go bad. Many airlines are offering no-charge rebooking in this exact situation, although they're sort of doing it day by day. Have you contacted them, they may already be rebooking for flights on the 8th?
We are on a Lufthansa flight from LHR to MUC on 9/8. Looks like our flight number is cancelled on 9/7/. Think it is worthwhile to try and get on another airline or stay the course?
Have not called them yet, and, the booking info on their website has not indicated a change. From the looks of it, the strike is to last through Friday, no mention of any service disruption on 9/8. My concern is we are on the last Lufthansa flight out of LHR on Saturday evening.

I am going to call them today.
The airline you booked with is responsible for making new arrangmeents for you if things go bad. Many airlines are offering no-charge rebooking in this exact situation, although they're sort of doing it day by day. Have you contacted them, they may already be rebooking for flights on the 8th?
Hard to say.

The Friday cabin crew is the third one-day strike. Cabin crew haven't had a raise in 3 years. They are going back to work on Saturday, but the dispute is not resolved.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...day-as-flight-attendants-strike-a-854255.html

What are the chances of this strike lasting until September 19?
Chances that a last-minute compromise between the airline and the union will be found are considered slim, since both sides have been battling over a collective wage agreement for more than a year. On Friday, both sides indicated they were open to a resumption of talks, but said the other side needed to make the first move.

The union is demanding a 5 percent wage increase and profit-sharing for the cabin staff and chief flight attendants, or pursers. But the context includes the airline's plans for substantial cost-cutting measures, which would affect those staff members.
The Friday strike is at all airports in Germany. A long haul flight from LHR on Saturday might be ok. But how are you getting to Heathrow?
My concern is we are on the last Lufthansa flight out of LHR on Saturday evening.
This is the page anyone flying LH will want to keep checking:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...anceled_flights?nodeid=3494927&l=en&cid=18002

It shows all the LH cancellations, and there are already some for the 8th, but nothing yet for LHR that day.
Been keeping close tabs on this (including the page referenced above). Flight still scheduled.

We are flying AA from LAX to LHR.
You probably already know this.

The 2012 Paralympics are going on through this weekend. I don't think they've gotten much press in the US (my parents weren't even aware of them) but they are very popular here. Tickets for most (all?) of the events sold out.
AA doesn't normally interface with LH, are you on a single ticket? If so, who was the issuing carier. If AA it will begin 217, if LH it will begin 220.

If you're on two tickets and LH cancels the LHR flight you'll be in their hands, since AA has no part it in and their only responsibility is to get you to LHR. But don't wait until you get to LHR, the earlier you call if canceled the greater your chances of their being able to find seats on some other flight.

If you're on a single title and the flight cancels the first thing you should do is call AA to see if they can reroute you onto either an AA or UA nonstop out of ORD. In this case it would pay to be flexible and ask for FRA or MUC as it's easy enough to get a train from one to the other if you need to.
Been keeping close tabs on this (including the page referenced above). Flight still scheduled.

We are flying AA from LAX to LHR.
Two tickets...we'll have to deal with any cancellations once in London, as we will be in the air. I am not too concerned, there are a number of carriers that we can get on, and, worse case scenario we take an sleeper train to Munich.
AA doesn't normally interface with LH, are you on a single ticket? If so, who was the issuing carier. If AA it will begin 217, if LH it will begin 220.

If you're on two tickets and LH cancels the LHR flight you'll be in their hands, since AA has no part it in and their only responsibility is to get you to LHR. But don't wait until you get to LHR, the earlier you call if canceled the greater your chances of their being able to find seats on some other flight.

If you're on a single title and the flight cancels the first thing you should do is call AA to see if they can reroute you onto either an AA or UA nonstop out of ORD. In this case it would pay to be flexible and ask for FRA or MUC as it's easy enough to get a train from one to the other if you need to.
You may want to consider having someone, like a friend or family member, try and help you do any changes while you are in the air. Options diminish quickly once everyone affected tries to make changes.
Two tickets...we'll have to deal with any cancellations once in London, as we will be in the air. I am not too concerned, there are a number of carriers that we can get on, and, worse case scenario we take an sleeper train to Munich.
That is a brilliant idea. I'll definitely be asking my Dad to keep an eye on this, and, if necessary rebook while we are in-route. Thanks!
You may want to consider having someone, like a friend or family member, try and help you do any changes while you are in the air. Options diminish quickly once everyone affected tries to make changes.
And if you take the chunnel you can have dinner in Paris - SCORE!!
Strike is over, so anyone flying tomorrow should be okay. Check flight status now and in the morning, just in case.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.