BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2001 740i sport. Blk/Tan 110k miles Midwest car.
Have performed many of the common maintenance items I've seen posted on this site.

Now have a few issues I'd be very happy to have input on.

Starting problem, clicks over and over no start. replaced battery, started fine for about two weeks, same as prior to battery replacement. Charge the battery just fine for awhile.

Check engine light on and off, mostly on. replaced mass air flow sensor and a gasket on intake.
same as before, off then on.

Anti-lock brake light came on. How to tell which wheel area has the bad sensor.

Also in need of the ten disk player in the trunk. mine apparently is bad.

Hope you all have some responses. Thanks. Scott

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome aboard! I've moved your question to our E38 7 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. Get a BMW specific code reader to get the diagnostic codes. That will tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad as well as other problems you're having.

Tim

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,985 Posts
That shows how much I pay attention to the radio in my car, I thought it was a 6 disc changer.

When you get warning lights we can give you plenty of $$$$ guesses and throw parts at the car, or you can post the codes and it will greatly improve our guesses. As far as most engine codes just about any scanner will work thanks to the OBD-II standard, but for diagnosing the ABS light you will need a better scanner that is known to work on BMW ABS systems. If you buy one I'd suggest finding one that also reads and clears SRS, or you can take the car up to Autozone (or other big auto parts store) and get the codes read for free. And the ABS codes need to be read from the 20 pin 'pac-man' port under the hood (next to the ABS octopus).

As far as the starting problem and your battery...do you mean when the car sits the battery drains and you have to charge it and it starts fine? Timm's battery drain fix is a good place to start for that.

Welcome to the 'fest!

·
Stuart7401
7 Posts
I have a 2001 740 with 38K miles

Hi Scott, here is a suggestion. Fly to Florida buy my 2001 740i with 38,002 miles Alpine white Sport, I bought new in Texas and frankly want to get rid of it. Have a one-car garage now and am keeping a brand new Toyota Highlander outside. That's just stupid. So I have had it with this piece of junk. Everything costs a fortune to fix and it has the worst depreciation rate of any BMW I have ever owned. I will eventually end up donating the damn thing if I don't sell it.
I don't have time to quibble over the price. That's about it ... 6,000 miles on Pirellis

Call me 727 369-6425 or email [email protected]

Stuart

·
5,985 Posts
Hi Scott, here is a suggestion. Fly to Florida buy my 2001 740i with 38,002 miles Alpine white Sport, I bought new in Texas and frankly want to get rid of it. Have a one-car garage now and am keeping a brand new Toyota Highlander outside. That's just stupid. So I have had it with this piece of junk. Everything costs a fortune to fix and it has the worst depreciation rate of any BMW I have ever owned. I will eventually end up donating the damn thing if I don't sell it.
I don't have time to quibble over the price. That's about it ... 6,000 miles on Pirellis

Call me 727 369-6425 or email [email protected]

Stuart
It took OP 4 years between registering and making their first post, you might have better luck posting that FS in the private party classifieds section.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Stuart - he's telling you to post your car in the right place - the classifieds on this board. And some of us think outside is the right place for a Toyota.

·
5,985 Posts
What ^^^noodles^^^ said!

Stuart_740i,
Sorry about that, I usually try not to use abbreviations when replying to noobs but although your post count is under 10 you have been registered for over a year so I took a shot you've read enough to have it figured out.
OP = Original Poster (the one who started the thread)
FS = For Sale
The underlined "private party classified" is a link directly to the section of the forum where people post their cars for sale. Post pictures (interior, exterior, trunk and under the hood), mileage, history and a proper price...you'll sell it in no time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts