BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I got my first ever BMW over the weekend
Have only ever driven jap and Aussie cars so Iam fairly clueless as to these cars.
My ride is a 2006 325i with MSport package I believe.
Any advice on issues things to do to it or learn about the car or comments would be appreciated.

thanks
Rhys

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi All
I got my first ever BMW over the weekend
Have only ever driven jap and Aussie cars so Iam fairly clueless as to these cars.
My ride is a 2006 325i with MSport package I believe.
Any advice on issues things to do to it or learn about the car or comments would be appreciated.

thanks
Rhys
Sweet ride, how much did you get it for and how many kilometres does it have?

If it's been maintained well, you have just purchased yourself one of the most reliable BMW engines ever made, though the N52 isn't completely fault free. This website details some of the common problems with the N52: The 7 Most Common BMW N52 Engine Problems

Keep up with the maintenance (at most, 10,000km intervals) and you should have a reliable car, though I suggest working on the car yourself or taking it to a trusted mechanic that doesn't rip you off... I'm also in the market for an E46/E90 era 3 Series...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid 4750 for it just needed something cheap to drive to my customers in and that was comfy for doing that.
It has 230000kms owned by a mechanic who took care of it and serviced it regularly.
Literally did an oil and filter change when I bought along with a brake pad replacement and machined the rotors.
Don’t know if it’s a good deal but I needed a car asap.
This all happened an hour before I took ownership
Doesnt overheat obviously and no check engine lights no airbag or brake lights.
It has 19inch m sport rims on it which I feel are too big on the car myself but the tyres are new so unless it is detrimental to the car I’ll use them.
Has carbon fibre wing I think supposed to be an m3 wing and these weird carbon fibre mirrors with some funky hook shape on them.
Again have no idea what they are all came with the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I paid 4750 for it just needed something cheap to drive to my customers in and that was comfy for doing that.
It has 230000kms owned by a mechanic who took care of it and serviced it regularly.
Literally did an oil and filter change when I bought along with a brake pad replacement and machined the rotors.
It has 19inch m sport rims on it which I feel are too big on the car myself but the tyres are new so unless it is detrimental to the car I’ll use them.
Has carbon fibre wing I think supposed to be an m3 wing and these weird carbon fibre mirrors with some funky hook shape on them.
The whole carbon fibre and M Sport wheels are likely to be aftermarket and non genuine though E90's are usually going for more than this so you got a reasonable deal, despite the kilometres being a little high based on other E90's for sale... Though I'm not sure about the "owned by a mechanic part" as it looks like it was owned by a P-Plater or young driver at some stage; maybe he bought it from auction to flip it, who knows...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The whole carbon fibre and M Sport wheels are likely to be aftermarket and non genuine though E90's are usually going for more than this so you got a reasonable deal, despite the kilometres being a little high based on other E90's for sale... Though I'm not sure about the "owned by a mechanic part" as it looks like it was owned by a P-Plater or young driver at some stage; maybe he bought it from auction to flip it, who knows...
Yeah I’m not a huge fan of them but it is what it is lol.
I have the mbadge in the steering wheel and on the metal things on the side of the trim at the doors.
I do have a question though the wheels do you think they are too big they have the mbadge on them but I’m thinking of removing them and changing them to 17s as I had to change a headlight bulb and I couldn’t get to the little access panel so I had to remove the front bumper and remove the headlight took me like 2 hours!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah I’m not a huge fan of them but it is what it is lol.
I have the mbadge in the steering wheel and on the metal things on the side of the trim at the doors.
I do have a question though the wheels do you think they are too big they have the mbadge on them but I’m thinking of removing them and changing them to 17s as I had to change a headlight bulb and I couldn’t get to the little access panel so I had to remove the front bumper and remove the headlight took me like 2 hours!!!
These wheels on your car are the same design as the F30 3 Series M Sport wheels (whether they're genuine or not, I'm not sure)... If they're negatively affecting ride quality and causing issues for accessing, you should probably change the wheels to 17 or 18 inch wheels as it will help with ride quality, as your car is an M-Sport and therefore has stiffer suspension...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car White

Ohh and I know the mechanic part is true as I actually went to his shop to inspect it hence when I scanned it for codes.
How long did the mechanic own it for? Does it have any sort of logbook service history? These cars are commonly picked up by people from auction (eg: Grays online) and are flipped for a profit, some of which don't know what they're doing though you should be a little safer as this car was owned by a mechanic when you bought it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice on forum have been doing a bit of reading on it so I’m more educated for my next one!
Speaking of which can you tell me reliability wise the differences between the 3 series and 5 series for the e46 and e90

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice. Welcome!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looking at options for another one now here in Sydney Australia
Any thoughts on what are good models things to look for.
Models to stay away from red flags etc?
Try find a BMW with a proven solid service history and something with a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder (like you had previously)... Try to avoid cars that have been modified on the cheap (eg: fake M badges, aftermarket lights, etc), avoid cars that have had many owners and avoid 4 cylinders at all costs!

So in other words, look for an N/A 6 cylinder that's been well cared for (with a solid service history) and make sure to have a third party pre purchase inspection done and you should have a great car...

If the seller has warmed up the engine already, this is a big red flag as they may be trying to hide something...

Definitely do your research on common problems and keep us updated with cars you've found...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s going to just be daily driver and for my partner to learn to drive in so don’t really want to spend more than 7k as it will be street parked 50% of time.
City living in an apartment building with one carpark space and two cars

1 - 20 of 30 Posts