Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

I don't actually own a BMW (yet), but I decided to preemptively create an account anyways.

Bit of information about myself: Recent college grad living in California, finally have a bit of money saved up to indulge myself a bit. I'm deadset on a buying a E34, 535i specifically, because I have heard great things about the M30 engine.

Now, what you all have to talk me out of: I'm going to go see about a 1990 535i (with a manual!!!) in a couple days. The asking price is $2000, with room for negotiation. Supposedly no issues, besides missing some door trim. The downside? ~280K miles! According to the owner, the previous owner was a mechanic, yadda yadda...

I'm worried about the car not passing smog in the very near future, among other things breaking down as well. Talk me out of buying this potential money pit?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every car for sale is "owned by a mechanic" heehee.

Take it for a ride on highway to get engine and trans hot. This will tell you if engine has loss of power and trans will be hot and you can go up and down with gears a few times.

Also if there are a million fluid leaks and it was cleaned off, a long hot test drive will show you anything leaking again

You will have small luck asking a forum full of BMW fans to talk you OUT of buying one haha.

That's a fun car

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roont, will definitely be doing that highway ride!

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the "mechanic" kept records and changed the catalytic converter etc. within the car's 280K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts