BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTB- Looking to buy a dash for a 1988 6-series with little or no cracks.
Also if any one know a cure for broken rear sunshade clips.(on the sunshade). Has any one attempted to repair rear SLS shocks and pump system.(just leaking).

·
E24 Keeper for life
77 Posts
Pretty tough to find an uncracked dash, but you can have yours restored, by Just Dashes, for example. I have one in my '85, and ut looks perfect, and is supposed to last longer than an OEM part. Expect to pay $2200 and wait a few months, though.

The SLS can be repaired, but many owners just pull the system off and install Bilstein HD shocks at all 4 corners, along with some aftermarket springs, such as those from Bavarian Auto.

If you haven't already done so, go to bigcoupe.com, which is the best site for all thing related to the 6-series cars, and the E24 forum on bimmerforums.com is great, too. Far more active than bimmerfest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WTB- Dash

Thanks for the info . That's why I'm looking for a donor dash so I don't have to take mine off for 2 or 3 months. I'm thinking of having it leather wrapped. Any one knows a craftsman here in So.Cal That can help.

·
E24 Keeper for life
77 Posts
The problem with a used dash is that even the newest one is almost 30 years old. As for leather wrapping, it's a very complex design, and all those little pieces shrink differently, and the covering looks bad in short order. BMW learned their lesson on that in just one year, and they ended the leather dashes in '88. If I were in SoCal, I might look south of the border for leather work. It's becoming more common mong vintage/classic car owners, and I hear some of the shops are very good for paint and upholstery. Finally, there is a very good thread on DIY dash repair on bigcoupe,com. I don't have it bookmarked, but search for the user "MSGGrunt", and it should pop up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SLS repair

Thank You sir for all the input. On the SLS, One of my cars is already converted but I like to keep one with SLS. I have been searching among hydraulic ram rebuilders for a lead.

·
E24 Keeper for life
77 Posts
Check with member "JCS" on bigcoupe.com. He's in Santa Ana and rebuilds all the E24 hydraulic parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts