BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when the car was bought it said it had low oil. added oil no change. did oil change no change, still says min. also can not reset oil service interval. said 15,000 over due. changed the oil sensor with genuine bmw one, still nothing. wires to the connector all look ok. im not getting any malfunction warnings, it just wont recalibrate the level and cant reset the service interval.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am sorry I must have missed which vehicle of yours this was. I see it says your main vehicle is a 1996 3 series.

Did you have another thread that has this information or would you just elaborate a bit on this so that those that don't know that information will have it?

I am curious as to whether you had this replaced by the dealership, or if when you said you it was changed with a genuine BMW sensor that you meant you had it done the repairs yourself, or had an independent dealer do them?

I have had the same issue with my vehicle, I was told I could pay for the cost of a BMW master tech to play around with it and see if they are able to fix it, but regardless of whether or not they get it working I still am required to pay for the cost of his valuable time.

I decided I would rather just save the money to use on something else that is likely to break down in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you think you need to have someone from BMW with one of the machines they attach to your car possibly program and update it?

I would think it might need to be configured or at least that is what I would do if it is brand new and still not working properly.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Going back to your first post you wrote that you were unable to reset the service interval. How did you try to do that? Via the odometer or via a scan tool? Could be programming that is the problem.

·
Under the lift arms
12,963 Posts
Im not familiar with how bmw did the no dip stick thing.. but on other applications where this problem happens..

drop the oil, measure the amount,

replace the sensor, the pan what ever your leaking from to make it hold level.. (different problematic applications) *do work

fill with correct amount (this isolates the problem now)

then trouble shoot back thru the system.. be it wiring, or computer or what ever, Point being that first you want to actually confirm the oil level is stable and correct

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think you need to have someone from BMW with one of the machines they attach to your car possibly program and update it?

I would think it might need to be configured or at least that is what I would do if it is brand new and still not working properly.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost you?
i read a bunch of other threads where people replaced the level sensor by themselves and didnt have to have them programmed. i paid $180 for the sensor

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not familiar with how bmw did the no dip stick thing.. but on other applications where this problem happens..

drop the oil, measure the amount,

replace the sensor, the pan what ever your leaking from to make it hold level.. (different problematic applications) *do work

fill with correct amount (this isolates the problem now)

then trouble shoot back thru the system.. be it wiring, or computer or what ever, Point being that first you want to actually confirm the oil level is stable and correct
when we first bought the car the oil was at the min level so i added a quart, no change, added another quart, still no change. drove it home, dropped the oil, there was 9 qrts. added 7 qrts back, still no change. replaced the valve cover to fix the leak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going back to your first post you wrote that you were unable to reset the service interval. How did you try to do that? Via the odometer or via a scan tool? Could be programming that is the problem.
i tried to reset from the odometer, idrive, and the i think BC stalk was another way it could be done.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Unlikely that new sensor would be bad, so more likely it's a bad connector or wire.

Check the connector pins on the plug side. Look for pushed or bent. Examine the wires that go to the harness; the cable is out in the breeze and could have been caught by something. Look for wire cuts or scuffs all the way up into the harness.

ALSO: The DME communicates with four disparate devices via the low-speed BSD bus. Schematic below.
BSD in N52, N54 and N55 engines.

BSD ( Bit Serial Data line)

The bit-serial data interface is a single-wire data bus with a data transfer rate of 1.2 kBit/s.

The following components are connected across the bit-serial data interface with the DME control unit:

Alternator [actually the regulator is where it plugs in](varies according to version)
Intelligent battery sensor (depending on model series)
Electric coolant pump (depending on variant)
Oil condition sensor (depending on variant)
DME is master controller
This can be odd to diagnose, so google BSD bus and learn from that.

Here's an illuminating discussion. https://www.picoauto.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=17231

are your pump and alternator working OK? If so, it's likely damage to the sensor connections (plug, wire, upstream connections)

And you need INPA or better yet, ISTA+ to decode any BMW codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Unlikely that new sensor would be bad, so more likely it's a bad connector or wire.

Check the connector pins on the plug side. Look for pushed or bent. Examine the wires that go to the harness; the cable is out in the breeze and could have been caught by something. Look for wire cuts or scuffs all the way up into the harness.

ALSO: The DME communicates with four disparate devices via the low-speed BSD bus. Schematic below.

This can be odd to diagnose, so google BSD bus and learn from that.

Here's an illuminating discussion. https://www.picoauto.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=17231

are your pump and alternator working OK? If so, it's likely damage to the sensor connections (plug, wire, upstream connections)

And you need INPA or better yet, ISTA+ to decode any BMW codes.
ya the pump and alt are working. i have inpa ista and one of the other ones i got as a kit with the cables. i tried to use it once but 90% of it was in german. there was a code for the level sensor but i forget what it was.

before i replaced the sensor, i looked at the wires on the connector since i seen before its common they get damaged, but i didnt see any damage to them. i didnt check the whole harness, jus the first couple inches cause the loom all looked good and didnt want to split it apart.

how could i test the wires? i have a multimeter but electrical isnt my strong suit. is the other end of the harness easy to get to to be able to do a resistance test? what should the reading be?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts