Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, gonna take a much needed mini-vacation next weekend down to new orleans with some buddies from college. Any suggestions?

low down: 3 20-something males (relatively) unattached in search of lots of fun (and lots of funbags, the bigger the better), alcohol, food, beer, things to do, liqour, fun stuff, inebriation, places to go, and did i mention beer?

I think we're staying at the Holiday Inn 1/2 block from bourbon street. All (legal) suggestions welcome. :angel:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
joes325xi said:
Alright fellas, gonna take a much needed mini-vacation next weekend down to new orleans with some buddies from college. Any suggestions?

low down: 3 20-something males (relatively) unattached in search of lots of fun (and lots of funbags, the bigger the better), alcohol, food, beer, things to do, liqour, fun stuff, inebriation, places to go, and did i mention beer?

I think we're staying at the Holiday Inn 1/2 block from bourbon street. All (legal) suggestions welcome. :angel:
Orleans Parish is a dry county, so there isn't any alcohol available there.

The preceding statement contains certain inaccuracies.

It's difficult to avoid beer and other alcohol type drinks in New Orleans, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding that kind of thing. Bourbon Street and the whole French Quarter is a tourist death maze, but it's worth seeing. Don't expect any decent music, though--the real music has long been replaced by crap, tourist music and t-shirt shops.

Get out of the Quarter for a night or two; head up St. Charles to Napoleon, which is the heart of the Garden District, and is worth seeing all on its own. On Napoleon, IIRC, you'll find Tipitina's, which is a touristy destination but not quite as bad as the Quarter. A bit further up St. Charles is Tulane, which has its own (college-like) night life. Wander around to some of the campus bars (is the Boot still around?), if you're interested in that kind of thing.

A word of caution: Unlike a lot of cities, the good areas and the bad areas in New Orleans are very inter-mixed. It's incredibly easy to take a wrong turn in a nice section of the Garden District and end up in a really scuzzy housing project within no more than a few blocks. Moreover, it is sometimes not readily apparent when you are verging into a bad area. Be careful wandering around, especially after you've had a few.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: New Orleans

Good advise JST. Yes, the Boot is still there. It is on Broadway, 1 block North of Freret.

Every neighborhood has bars everwhere, if that is what you are looking for, I don't find the Quarter that interesting. I think there is still a segregated bar west of Tulane :lmao: Try Magazine street, that is a pretty busy area. Lots of places west of Tulane and near Carrolton. For a bar and dinner at a more historic and much less touristy restaurant, try Pascal's Manale on Napoleon. Pretty good food in a quaint, traditional setting.

And yes, you have to pay attention where you are in NOLA. Lots of slums are mixed in with nice areas Uptown. Even in the nice areas, you have people wandering around messing with you. A disturbing amount of armed robbery and sexual assult goes on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Re: New Orleans

nate328Ci said:
A disturbing amount of...sexual assult goes on.
hmmm...i could get to like a place where i get assaulted by southern belles ;)

Seriously though, i know what you guys are talking about. I grew up in brooklyn, ny and went to college in the heart of baltimore - but i guess the shadier neighborhoods were generally well demarcated from the better ones (yes good ones exist in brooklyn :mad: ).

Thanks for the info guys - any great dive restaurants/hole in the wall kind of places that are "must trys" down there? When i went to cancun a few years back and cozumel a few weeks ago, i would always try to find some little place where mexicans were eating in order to get the best food at great prices - follow the locals and they'll take you to (some of) the best places. Any more tips?

oh, and any places to get beads or are they everywhere - i heard the girls get frisky year-round, not just during mardi gras. :bigpimp:

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,093 Posts
The Boot

JST said:

It's difficult to avoid beer and other alcohol type drinks in New Orleans, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding that kind of thing. Bourbon Street and the whole French Quarter is a tourist death maze, but it's worth seeing. Don't expect any decent music, though--the real music has long been replaced by crap, tourist music and t-shirt shops.

Get out of the Quarter for a night or two; head up St. Charles to Napoleon, which is the heart of the Garden District, and is worth seeing all on its own. On Napoleon, IIRC, you'll find Tipitina's, which is a touristy destination but not quite as bad as the Quarter. A bit further up St. Charles is Tulane, which has its own (college-like) night life. Wander around to some of the campus bars (is the Boot still around?), if you're interested in that kind of thing.

A word of caution: Unlike a lot of cities, the good areas and the bad areas in New Orleans are very inter-mixed. It's incredibly easy to take a wrong turn in a nice section of the Garden District and end up in a really scuzzy housing project within no more than a few blocks. Moreover, it is sometimes not readily apparent when you are verging into a bad area. Be careful wandering around, especially after you've had a few.
Hey JST,
Did you live in New Orleans in the late '80's or something? The Boot used to have a great Friday afternoon special where they'd give you a free order of crawfish with every pitcher of beer. Man, I used to love that.

·
3,939 Posts
Re: The Boot

uter said:

Hey JST,
Did you live in New Orleans in the late '80's or something? The Boot used to have a great Friday afternoon special where they'd give you a free order of crawfish with every pitcher of beer. Man, I used to love that.
Early 90s; I went to Tulane for a while, before my liver demanded a transfer. Not such a big sea food fan, but the Boot and that other one a block south were great after-class bars.

Roll Wave roll.

·
Confused.
4,941 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Orleans

joes325xi said:

oh, and any places to get beads or are they everywhere - i heard the girls get frisky year-round, not just during mardi gras. :bigpimp:
The only girls that get frisky are the tourists.....

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Orleans

ronrich said:

The only girls that get frisky are the tourists.....
Yes, and during Mardi Gras, it is about 80% guys with cameras or so it seems :thumbdwn:

·
Confused.
4,941 Posts

JST said:

What the bejesus are you talking about? You can get Alcohol at any 7-11 or any other gas station in Orleans Parish. I don't think there is a dry parish in Louisiana. So next time, give some advise that contains a little bit of truth.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts

ronrich said:

What the bejesus are you talking about? You can get Alcohol at any 7-11 or any other gas station in Orleans Parish. I don't think there is a dry parish in Louisiana. So next time, get some advise that contains a little bit of truth.
I'm pretty sure he's kidding, how can there be 24hr bars in a dry parish? :dunno:

·
3,939 Posts

ronrich said:

What the bejesus are you talking about? You can get Alcohol at any 7-11 or any other gas station in Orleans Parish. I don't think there is a dry parish in Louisiana. So next time, get some advise that contains a little bit of truth.

Click here.

·
Confused.
4,941 Posts
I stand corrected.

Also, there can be alcohol served at bars in a dry parish or county. I lived for a short time in Lubbock:dunno: and the only place you could get alcohol was in a bar.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh Joe, you just went on vacation with your girlfriend and you're going looking for what? j/k I suggest finding one of those insane-o fan boat gigs that go blasting through the Everglades, dodging alligators! And get your cab driver to hit one of the drive-through daquari places on the way! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
325xi-SteelGray said:
Oh Joe, you just went on vacation with your girlfriend and you're going looking for what? j/k I suggest finding one of those insane-o fan boat gigs that go blasting through the Everglades, dodging alligators! And get your cab driver to hit one of the drive-through daquari places on the way! :)
Girlfriend, what girlfriend :dunno:

And just because i went on a cruise a few weeks ago, doesn't mean i'm not entitled to another mini-vacation. I was in the hospital the other day for 29 hours straight - did not leave once, even ate in the cafeteria!:( At least i got to deliver 3 babies that night though! :thumbup:

Besides, i've been dying to check out NOLA, and don't really want to deal with the ultra-touristy mardi gras season that most of my other friends would want to check out, so when i heard my buddy from college wanted to go, i was game. What's this you mention about blasting through the everglades - that sounds awesome! Any other info?

You should tag along with us jenea - i hear you're not really busy these days :p :D :lmao: :angel:

·
Registered
319 Posts
You should tag along with us jenea - i hear you're not really busy these days
OK, now that was a really low blow! Maybe I'll land one of the pharma sales jobs I am trying for and you can be sure to buy lots of drugs from me! In the meantime, I'll take NY's money each week and be sure to beep when I get off at exit 36 and head north on 81 to sit in the sun all day on Pine Island! :)

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
joes325xi said:

Make sure you spend some time on bourbon street. If you walk towards the river, there is a block or two at the end of bourbon that are gay bars, but other than that anyplace along there is good for the local specialty Hurricanes, and some awesome entertainment. A block or two away is a beautiful walk. The river front, it is very pretty.

I went to a couple places from here ---> http://www.neworleansbarguide.com/ during mardis gras a couple years ago. It is a great resource.

MAKE SURE you check out the house of blues. It is the best house of blues I have been to.

On bourbon be sure to stop into Pat O'Brien's It is probably one of the best bars youll go to in new orleans. They have a full grill as well if I remember right. http://www.patobriens.com/

If the food/drinks/nightlife appeal to ya.. let me know I can recommend a couple more places, I would just have to dig through my little trophey box :D to remember the names of some places I was at during mardis gras

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Regarding my last post: Does anyone want to send me to either A) Grammar School
B) Typing School
C) Shoot Me?

I cannot type on this laptop. I am about to give up on trying to be coherent.

·
Registered
71 Posts

dredmo said:

Make sure you spend some time on bourbon street. If you walk towards the river, there is a block or two at the end of bourbon that are gay bars, but other than that anyplace along there is good for the local specialty Hurricanes, and some awesome entertainment. A block or two away is a beautiful walk. The river front, it is very pretty.

I went to a couple places from here ---> http://www.neworleansbarguide.com/ during mardis gras a couple years ago. It is a great resource.

MAKE SURE you check out the house of blues. It is the best house of blues I have been to.

On bourbon be sure to stop into Pat O'Brien's It is probably one of the best bars youll go to in new orleans. They have a full grill as well if I remember right. http://www.patobriens.com/

If the food/drinks/nightlife appeal to ya.. let me know I can recommend a couple more places, I would just have to dig through my little trophey box :D to remember the names of some places I was at during mardis gras
I am a NOLA native. First off, the FQ sucks! But if you've never been, then I guess you have to go. Hurricanes are ONLY available at Pat O'Briens. They do have a couple of drink stands along Bourbon street, but you can't just find them anywhere. Go ahead and try a Hurricane. They suck, though. Hurricanes are good for women because of the fruity taste. If you want a drink that is comparable but not as fruity, go to Tropical Isle on Bourbon and get a hand-grenade. One or two of those will probably f*ck you up, unless you are used to drinking. If you are not gay, then stay off the gay end of Bourbon street. I don't even find that stuff amusing, but I do not have a problem with gay people. They are doing their own thing down there and that is fine with me. Not that you or anyone else is a homophobe, but you might actually find yourself to be feeling uncomfortable if you go down there when some big even is going on.

I'll list some of my other recommendations in another thread! Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts

JST said:

I agree with you about the quarter, but some corrections are in order. First of all, Napoleon is not in the heart of the Garden District. Napoleon, if anything, is in the heart of "Uptown," but no one has ever referred to it as such. What you will find on Napoleon and St. Charles (I am sure that is what you were referring to) is Fat Harry's and Copelands. If you are in your early-20's, go ahead and go to Fat Harry's. Good crowds, mostly local and Tulane, and young. The Boot is still around, but a lot of teenagers go there. It is on Broadway just a few blocks to the "lakeside" of St. Charles. (Everything is defined in New Orleans as being on the "lake" side or "river" side. Nothing is described as being north or south.)

As far as Tips (Tipitinas), Fat Harry's/Copelands restaurant (seafood/cajun/new orleans), The Boot go, you can access all of those places from downtown by getting on the streetcar. Pick up the street car on Canal and take it uptown. If you want to go to Tips/Fat Harry's , get off at Napoleon Avenue and walk towards the river (er, south) for Tips to Tchoupitoulas Street (try pronouncing that one). To go to Fat Harry's, it is right there on the corner at ST. Charles and Napoleon. To go to The Boot, take the car even further to Broadway and get off and walk towards the lake (er, north) for a handful of blocks until you see The Boot. If you go past Freret, you have gone too far.

For a great meal anytime of the day, stay on the street car and get off at the Riverbend, also known as the corner of St. Charles and Carrolton avenues. Camelia Grill is the place to go, but lines form at anytime. It's worth it, though. There are also a couple of bars in the Riverbend that you can check out, including Madigans. Lastly, do not make the mistake of taking the streetcar to the end of the line at night. Lots of bad stuff has been known to happen there, mostly murders at the corner of Carrolton and Claiborne avenues. Also, don't backtalk any cops if you have any problems, they will billyclub your ace before you even know what happened to you. Constitutional rights? Yeah, right!

At about 4 a.m., get over to F&M's Patio bar (how many people even know what "F&M"s mean - trivia)! That's on Tchoupitoulas, so it isn't on the street car line. You'll need to hitch a ride with some locals, take a cab, or have your own car. It is still "uptown" (sort of) though. I don't recommend walking around Tchoupitoulas at night!

As for Magazine (or da Irish Channel), there are several bars. You can always check out Les Bon Temps, which is pretty cool but mostly locals. Being from NY and with a NY accent (Brooklyn preferred) you might fit in ok. One more tip, if you want to get f'd up quick, go to "The Club" on Magazine. (I think it is at Louisiana Ave.) $1 drinks for EVERYTHING. This includes a bottle of beer, a cup of MS river tap water, or the hardest drink you can think of. $10 and you are gone! Why? 85% of the drink is hard liquor, 5% ice and 10% whatever you choose as a mixer. I don't normally recommend starting there. That place is good from about 2 a.m. - 12 noon, so stroll in whenever you get the urge. If you are a non-smoker, you are screwed! :) No streetcar to this place and walking around Lousiana Ave. and Magazine could be risky, but you'll be fine unless you are totally ripped. Take heart, though, NOPD 2nd precinct is right across the street from the Club, so you won't get assaulted until you are at least a block or two away! :)

I could go on and on, but I will end it here. You should never be bored in NOLA. There is always something to do. Just take it all in and don't let our advice overwhelm you. See Bourbon and then get the hell out of there. Oh, there is also good eating in the Faubourg Marigny. Since you will be in the quarter, it will be close to you. You can find it without me telling you about it, but most tourists don't always realize what is right under their nose. Good luck and hope you have a good trip. I am sure that plenty of other tourists will want to show their tits to you guys on Bourbon; after all, that's what we locals consider tourists to be good for! ;) Seriously, though, If you want more info, let me know.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts

twosomeca said:

I am a NOLA native. First off, the FQ sucks! But if you've never been, then I guess you have to go. Hurricanes are ONLY available at Pat O'Briens. They do have a couple of drink stands along Bourbon street, but you can't just find them anywhere. Go ahead and try a Hurricane. They suck, though. Hurricanes are good for women because of the fruity taste. If you want a drink that is comparable but not as fruity, go to Tropical Isle on Bourbon and get a hand-grenade. One or two of those will probably f*ck you up, unless you are used to drinking. If you are not gay, then stay off the gay end of Bourbon street. I don't even find that stuff amusing, but I do not have a problem with gay people. They are doing their own thing down there and that is fine with me. Not that you or anyone else is a homophobe, but you might actually find yourself to be feeling uncomfortable if you go down there when some big even is going on.

Try not to go during the Southern Decadance Festival :p

And you are right about Hurricanes. Only had one once and I felt terrible for a few hours because it was SOOO sweet :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts