BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks,

Picked up a 14 Space Grey x5 yesterday!
Loaded with all the tech packages, leather, LLine, M rims, and it looks and drives great!
Only 15k miles.

I spent all night going through the owners manual and around 6 or 7 Moscow Mules later I still can not figure out how to program the 1-8 buttons on the radio as my favorites.. I can only select them via HUD and they show up there...1 and 2 seem to be stuck on AM..

Couple of other questions:

Do I need to update software for media and telephone if everything is working correctly?

Does anyone actually use the Car kit in the center box? It takes up a ton of space and not sure what it does that BTooth can not...

Any other items I might want to look into or do not knowing the history on the car?

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hello and thanks,

Picked up a 14 Space Grey x5 yesterday!
Loaded with all the tech packages, leather, LLine, M rims, and it looks and drives great!
Only 15k miles.

I spent all night going through the owners manual and around 6 or 7 Moscow Mules later I still can not figure out how to program the 1-8 buttons on the radio as my favorites.. I can only select them via HUD and they show up there...1 and 2 seem to be stuck on AM..

Couple of other questions:

Do I need to update software for media and telephone if everything is working correctly?

Does anyone actually use the Car kit in the center box? It takes up a ton of space and not sure what it does that BTooth can not...

Any other items I might want to look into or do not knowing the history on the car?

Thanks again
Hi, Welcome to BMW!

You register those 1-8 buttons the same way you register buttons in similar other cars, by pushing them in for 2-3 seconds. If you lightly rest your finger on them, they will show you what they are programmed as currently.

TIP: Those buttons are not just for radio presets, but for almost anything you can think of... for example, button 1 for me is navigate home, button 2 is navigate to work, and button 8 is cancel navigation. To program them, you just navigate in the idrive (thats the name of the BMW system) to the function you want, such as a radio preset, or calling a specific number such as a spouse etc, and then press in on the button till you hear it "beep" which means it registered it.

The software update section is good to do, as it will update the cars bluetooth connectivity with specific phones and such.

Go here and put in your vin and see if you have an update and apply it if so:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/co...mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html

Not necessary, but if you are comfortable with the terms "software update" it wont hurt.

I dont remember on the 14 if you have to use a specific cable or not, but connecting with a cable to your phone gives you a better sound than connecting via bluetooth. If your car has BMW apps, connecting with a cable is the only way to access the BMW app version of things like spotify or pandora.

to see exactly what your car has (features), if they did not give you the sticker you can go to website :

bimmer.work

Select I am not a robot and put in the last 7 of your vin. It will tell you everything that is in your car (each feature). Note, everything is broken out, so it will not say you have the "cold weather package", it will say you have headlight washers, heated front seats, heated rear seats, and heated steeringwheel (which is the contents of the cold weather package).

Bimmer.work is a great way to see exactly what features your car has, as it may have things the salesman did not even know to tell you.

I dont know if you have a x5 35i or a 50i but if you have the 50i you are going to want to carry around some extra oil if you take road trips, since the 8 cylinder engines drink oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and great explanation. Makes much more sense that the 8 buttons are not radio presets but system shortcuts ..

Again..
Thanks

And for the record = xdrive 35i

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a side note, I can get them all programmed the way I want except for the 1st 2 which seem to be reserved for AM radio?

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hmmm newport beach - that's a very nice place!! Went there twice this year.
Nooo... 1 and 2 can be anything. I have an XM station on my 1 and select/enable bluetooth audio (streaming) on my 2.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I programmed all 8 of my buttons to radio stations...it didn't last, press a button it does nothing, appears to be not programmed again, rinse and repeat a couple times. The whole radio station button user interface is one of the few areas I feel is really screwed up and complicated for no apparent reason. A 1974 Ford Pinto radio is easier. I gave up and just scroll through the stations with the iDrive knob or steering wheel control. I'm otherwise loving my new X5.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I programmed all 8 of my buttons to radio stations...it didn't last, press a button it does nothing, appears to be not programmed again, rinse and repeat a couple times. The whole radio station button user interface is one of the few areas I feel is really screwed up and complicated for no apparent reason. A 1974 Ford Pinto radio is easier. I gave up and just scroll through the stations with the iDrive knob or steering wheel control. I'm otherwise loving my new X5.
Yes! Now I get to help you like you helped me!

First make sure that all of your favorite radio stations are stored as favorites on the PRESETS menu. You can have as many as 40 of them and they can be from any source like AM/FM/XM. Browse in iDrive to a station you like, choose 'add to presets'. When you are done...

Next, go to RADIO and click on PRESETS. Now you'll see the list of the favorite stations you just made.

Next, turn the iDrive knob to hover over your very favorite station you listen to the most (the red box will be around it) and don't click the iDrive knob! Just make sure the red box is highlighting your favorite station.

Now press and hold Button #1. This will assign your one favorite radio station to the first of the 8 buttons.

From then on, any time you press Button #1 the system not only will play your most favorite station, but this locks the PRESETS list in a way that the wheel on the steering wheel will now scroll through your 40 favorites across the AM/FM/XM bands! If you set it up this way you never have to hit the Radio button or use the iDrive knob to get to stations. Press #1, scroll with the steering wheel's wheel, and you'll flip between stations easily.

My dad has a button for Radio Presets (like above) and his iPod in the same way so each time he hits the button on the row it changes the source and puts the right list on the gauge cluster. He uses the other buttons to navigate home, navigate to work, split screen, and so on. The key is to just hover over the function you want to press with the iDrive knob and then don't press it. Whatever the red box hovers over is a function you can assign to one of the buttons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts