BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acoste...what a wealth of information! Many thanks for this. I just read the first few pages which brought about a question. I have 115k miles. Without knowing the previous owners maintenance, do I just start with everything? I will call my local BMW service center in the morning hoping they can divulge whatever records there might be. If the previous 2 owners had the vehicle serviced outside from BMW, who knows what was/wasn't done.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
every part has a date stamp on it. Search for them and you will know if they were ever replaced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While that's an interesting thing to know, I wouldn't expect anyone, including myself to go about changing parts simply based on their dates of manufacture. My concern is more towards the mileage-based preventative maintenance. I have an oil change sticker. I called that shop to see what I could find out. They were very helpful and looked up the vehicle by VIN. They serviced the vehicle for the last six years.
Oil change every 7,500
Plugs 35k ago
Coils "3 years ago"

That's all I could get.
Replaced cabin filter
Cleaned k&n air filter

My concerns:
Brake fluid
Transmission fluid/filter
Coolant
Gear fluid
Power steering fluid
??? Anything else?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
you can match the date stamp and the carfax records and calculate a mileage/service history.

good job finding that shop! Also it's good news the oil was changed frequently enough.

Brake fluid> max every 2 years, safety concern if neglected
Transmission fluid/filter> I would definitely replace it now. It would become a risky thing to do it at a high mileage, >150k miles. the earlier the better
Coolant, every 2 years, I think this would be ok even if it's every 4 years.
Gear fluid > you mean differential? needed at this mileage and then maybe 50k later
Power steering fluid> needed

regarding cooling system parts, I follow Mike Miller's recommendation

on your car I would check the date stamp of the water pump and thermostat. maybe the coolant reservoir.

control arms and some suspension parts will be due around 130k based on my cars

alternator + starter around 180k

I guess the brake pads were replaced in the last 6 years so that oil change shop doesn't have all the history

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good. Hopefully my local stealership may have some records as well. I'm sure they have the first 50k! This gives me a good place to start. Again, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
your welcome! congrats for the new car! :thumbup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Acoste, let me pick your brain again, and any others who wish to contribute. I posted this on another thread but it seems dead:

2006 300Xi

Placard displays:
225/45/17
Front - 32 psi
Rear - 36 psi

Actual tires:
Front - 225/40/18
Rear - 255/35/18
Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Max 51 psi

Which do you guys recommend I go with? If the tire manufacturer, what do you suggest? ie., 40, 44?

My local BMW shop said go with placard because the car is set up for that. Won't the under inflation cause improper wear on the tires?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
No need to over inflate them. The users manual contains the correct pressures for your size. This is for a cold tire.

This number takes it in account that the tire gets warmer when driving so the actual pressure will be higher.

If you do city driving you can go higher (so less likely to get a rim damage due to potholes and city driving doesn't really heat up the tire unless spirited driving). If you do long highway runs, go with the factory recommended 33-36 psi.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good. When looking at the tires, I did notice that three of them are in great shape. The driver rear tire, however, is in poor shape to the point of having to be replaced. Why do you think that that one tire would be so excessively worn wornin comparison to the others?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
You may have a worn out bushing or ball joint so that wheel is misaligned. I would however expect both sides to fail at the same time. Have it inspected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
E90 330i, F30 328i

Sorry guys I know this is off topic but just wanted to get yalls feedback. My friend just bought a F30 328i (stock) and his been insisting to race me in my 2006 330i (stock). Will I get absolutely destroyed or should it be somewhat close?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts