BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post. Just bought a CPO 2010 550i GT a few weeks ago. Picture attached.

A few questions. It is CPO until March 2016. Ran fine first few days but then hesitated starting. Took it in. They claim it needs all new injectors. Did some research and that seems to be a common issue with the N63 engine. I then ask them when/if they were ever replaced before. They said they've been replaced several times, most recently 8 months ago. Needless to say, that was pretty alarming... only 8 months and it needs ALL 8 new injectors again? In discussing it with my SA, he said they need to do all 8 because this is a new injector design. So that sounds fine... but in doing further research it seems there has been several revisions to the injector design since 2010, but that the most recent design was longer than 8 months ago (like 2013). If so, why would they have put outdated injectors in 8 months ago? Or has there been another revision since then that I haven't found?

Then, SA calls a couple days ago and says "I don't want to blame anyone but it looks like the dealership that previously installed the injectors messed up a mounting hole for the injectors, and will need to be fixed." Then he goes through how he will need another two weeks etc, etc, but was being very cautious not to tell me too much. He wouldn't tell me exactly what hole was messed up, or how badly, or how they would repair it which I found odd. So, I go and talk to the salesperson and ask if she can get anymore info on it. Well she comes back to tell me its an issue with the cylinder head having a stripped out bolt, and that he was being hesitant because a BMW warranty rep has to come look to see if it's covered. She then explained that they can "refinish the head" or "sleeve the hole and tap it again." Can someone help me understand what may be going on here? I'm worried that either of these "fixes" may compromise the longevity of the engine... I mean a repair like that the engine is never going to be 100% again will it?

Also, in my reading I found on the BMW website that all repair work is covered for parts/labor for 2 years when done at a BMW dealership. When I asked my SA he confirmed this is true, but was unwilling to put it in writing and had nothing to give me proving that. My concern/question is: does the 2 year warranty only apply when it's a consumer paying for a repair, or would a CPO warranty repair also extend 2 years from time completed? It's important for me to know because with these injector issues it looks like I shouldn't keep it much past the warranty period and this will make the difference between being able to keep it 1.5 years and keeping it 2 years.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I know generally in forums you shouldn't double post... but can I post my N63 questions in the F10 forum as well because theres a wider audience to see it there? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
First off, welcome to this forum, always nice to jave a new member. I note you realized that you needed to pic to satisfy "Membership Chairman" ErnestHouse. Good move.

Your story sounds like the "last dealer" before the one from whom you bought your GT is responsible for causing the damage to the cylinder head when changing the injectors. That shouldn't be on you at all. The current dealer should repair that and charge the cost of it (and a loaner vehicle for you) to that dealer and BMW NA should enforce that.

You should also ensure that the new injectors are truly the redesigned ones and, once installed, you should be good to go to enjoy driving a great vehicle.

Your story also reminds me again that all dealerships (and especially their service departments) are not "created equal".

Good luck and I hope all that this experience costs you is inconvenience.

Please keep us all in the loop as to the final resolution.

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
First I'd like to address the injectors: I would seek clarity on exactly how many injectors were logged as faulty as you could have as few as 2 since BMW SOP is to replace all injectors in the bank that had a faulty injector. They should also be able to tell you if the same injectors were throwing the faults for each replacement. To my mind this would give you all the information you need to know whether there is something inherent with a specific cylinder. I would venture to guess that injector replacement is mostly due to carbon buildup causing clogging.

Next the bolt: I'm baffled how a BMW center can strip a bolt, they have all the tools and instructions for appropriate torque. This shouldn't even be a conversation/question whether this will be covered as you bought the vehicle with a "BMW certification" that it meets a "stringent" checklist. The real issue is this must be done correctly and I would have a serious discussion with the SA regarding who is authorized to do this and how much experience they have with the procedure (it's not difficult per se, but need an experienced tech). Here is a good related thread about stripped head cylinder bolts: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790136

Warranty of work: I did not know they have a 2 year warranty on repair/service and can not give you a definitive answer regarding your question, but would venture to guess it is 2 years from repair date.

Regarding posting to other forums: Knock yourself out, but be prepared for wild reactions as there will be many more readers who will have their own biases clouding their responses. I would personally post in the F01/F02 before posting in the F10/F11 as the 7 series owners seem to be a bit more well-heeled.

·
Rogue2258
297 Posts
How many sets of injectors does it take to fix an N63.?! My fellow longtime GT'ers know where I going with this as I second daders comment on carbon build up. Holy smokes. Multiple sets of injectors in a relatively short time frame. Maybe BMW should contract Jad, and apply some critical thinking to this action we see time and time again "throw 4-8 injectors in the N63..that should fix it". Yea right, for about 8 months. Take it from me when you have the next issue they will replace plugs. The next time they will replace the coils. Being that you are still under warranty it will be of no or little cost to you, but they are just throwing parts at what I can only assume is a design issue with the N63 in regards to carbon build up. All direct injection issues suffer from some form of carbon build up. Our I-6 N55 runs like a top..knock on wood, but we feed our GT a heavy diet of Techron at least every other tank if not 4 of 5 tanks. Also you should ask them to perform a high pressure fuel cleaning. It is really the only method to remove carbon build up from the N63 without pulling the engine up to apply a walnut blasting treatment to clean the intake. The high pressure fuel system cleaning should be under $200, and is worth every penny, but they should policy that cost being that they have thrown so many sets of injectors at you GT already. We have it done on our N63 and N55 every year. It is great to have you in our exclusive little club. I hope you get to spend some quality time with your GT soon to share your experience with the great guys here. You have my favorite wheels. We just have the 18" wheels, but we enjoy the ride quality the smaller diameter wheels provide along with assistance from the awesome Bridgestone 960AS run flats.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Great to see a photo in the post!

First think I thought of for this symptom was walnut blasting the intake manifold.

·
5GT *****
37 Posts
Hi there, fellow new owner - also with a cpo 550i GT, bought around the exact same time as yours... Nothing to add to the injector conversation sorry, was just wondering if this is your car next to mine on the delivery truck?

When I saw it, I was pretty amazed to see another GT, also a 550, on the same truck! Either way, very nice car you have, I'll admit I was checking it out. Sorry for crap quality, pic was taken on my phone in the dead of night.

Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hi there, fellow new owner - also with a cpo 550i GT, bought around the exact same time as yours... Nothing to add to the injector conversation sorry, was just wondering if this is your car next to mine on the delivery truck?

When I saw it, I was pretty amazed to see another GT, also a 550, on the same truck! Either way, very nice car you have, I'll admit I was checking it out. Sorry for crap quality, pic was taken on my phone in the dead of night.

Congrats on your purchase.
That wasn't a bad picture at all considering it was tajen with a phone. Both GTs look inpressive. Well done to both of you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone! Excited to join our F07 group!

Car has been in shop 3 weeks today. He did confirm it would be under warranty late last week. I have tried to get ahold of the SA since Friday but have been unable to. Finally today I asked for the manager and had him physically put the SA on the phone. The SA said he was going to "talk to the tech," and would call me back in five minutes. That was 3pm today and still have not heard. So that tells you what kind of SA this guy is. When I do get him on the phone I am going to push him to pin down exactly what the issue is and what they are doing about it.

Thanks rogue, I love these wheels as well. There are Pirelli P Zero run flats on it currently but there was quite a bit of road noise. Thinking I'll get different tires when it needs it.

DB007 - I'm in San Diego and it shows you're in Florida... so probably not! But looks very similar! Congrats on your new ride.

I've had a lot of time to research since the car has been in the shop and I am disappointed by the lack of backup camera retrofits for F07. The backup camera and traffic sensing cruise control are the only two options I really wish I had gotten. I only drove my car a few days before the issues but sorely missed the backup camera. Was coming from a 2012 528i lease that did have backup cam.

Interested to hear everyones opinion on what a fair price would have been for my car? 2010 550i GT CPO til March 2016 with 60k miles - always a California car. I'm third owner. First owner was a "fleet" from carfax. First owner only had it for 1.5 years but put 40k on it. I don't want to say what I paid before I hear what a fair value would have been. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Attached is what is available frorm the national inventory of CPO 2010 550 GTs in Canada. Note that our packages here are fewer but usually contain more items. Multiply the kilometeres by 0.625 to get miles and adjust the price down by 10% to get US $ and you will have one benchmark against which to roughly compare. Typically in Canada, a 'used' car is priced at about $2000 over 'wholesale" though BMW here claims about $3300 worth of "work" is put into a vehicle that will be a CPO before it is marketed.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello lolitsnate, This is amazing. I probably have the exact same car as yours. Same color and wheels. Purchased the CPO 550i GT in Phoenix, AZ last year and half way back home to Albuquerque, NM the car started running very badly. First thought, a lemon? My issue was a spark plugs. According to my current SA the previous mechanic broke one during installation. All issues have been worked out except a parking brake error I continue to monitor. Have seen other posts here about poor running engines and for the most part it's associated with carbon build up in the engine. I have ran approximately 4 tanks of Techron through the car and its running great. After the first tank I put my foot in the carburetor and all the carbon that was in the engine was deposited on the road behind me. I have since done the same thing (foot in carburetor) and no more smoke can bee seen. I will continue to use the product every 4-6 tanks and recommend it to all. My car is soon to click over 60Kmi.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
FWIW, that engine tends to use more oil than the N55 I6. For example, every time I check the oil on mine (the N55), the computer reports it's full, even just before a mandatory oil change which means many miles. I don't think many people with the V8 have similar stories to tell! That, in addition to the direct injection, may be a source of some of that soot in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had it back a month when it started to feel very sluggish. Took it in. Two new turbos. Anyone experienced any issues with turbos before? Curious what could happen to a turbo in just 60k miles?

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
Had it back a month when it started to feel very sluggish. Took it in. Two new turbos. Anyone experienced any issues with turbos before? Curious what could happen to a turbo in just 60k miles?
This is why I dislike taking it in to dealerships....they tell you what they did, but not discuss actual symptoms (unless you prod them). Most likely scenario based on this thread history is since you have had to replace injectors there is oil getting past a gasket/seal and infiltrated an area of the turbo resulting in failure. But this is just conjecture...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts