BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. A few weeks back I posted regarding my search for a 325xi for my wife. Last week we found a '05 330xi, CPO with the premium package, harmon kardon, navi and around 13,300 miles. Not bad!

For the past week the Mrs was using public transit to work, leaving the new 330 in my care. Also not bad!

However, I did notice a light rubbing/grinding noise from, I think, the front passenger wheel. It comes and goes. Sounds like the brake rotor's backing plate is rubbing against the rotor, a noise which tends to come and go. Low speed driving seems to set it off. So do left hand sweepers (like going on a left hand on/off ramp).

So seems like a similar problem posted in this thread
Unlike in that post- the noise gets more noticeable when braking- sounds like more pronounced grinding (rather than rubbing) then. Also, the noise stops when I go hard on the brakes.

So based on that I think I've got a brake pad dragging on the rotor, rather than the backing plate rubbing.

Any thoughts or other theories? I've got a Wednesday appointment w/ the dealer.

TIA

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
Hi all. A few weeks back I posted regarding my search for a 325xi for my wife. Last week we found a '05 330xi, CPO with the premium package, harmon kardon, navi and around 13,300 miles. Not bad!

For the past week the Mrs was using public transit to work, leaving the new 330 in my care. Also not bad!

However, I did notice a light rubbing/grinding noise from, I think, the front passenger wheel. It comes and goes. Sounds like the brake rotor's backing plate is rubbing against the rotor, a noise which tends to come and go. Low speed driving seems to set it off. So do left hand sweepers (like going on a left hand on/off ramp).

Unlike in that post- the noise gets more noticeable when braking- sounds like more pronounced grinding (rather than rubbing) then. Also, the noise stops when I go hard on the brakes.

So based on that I think I've got a brake pad dragging on the rotor, rather than the backing plate rubbing.

TIA
It's your tires more than likely. Are they Bridgestones? They are the worst.

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts

TIA
It's your tires more than likely. Are they Bridgestones? They are the worst. A common complaint...it could be the backing plate but I doubt it. Basically just tire noise, but be sure and have the dealer check it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires

Its got Goodyear RS-A's.

I've got BF Goodrich KDW's on my Accord, so I know what tire noise sounds like (they're good tires, though.) The 330 isn't making noise similar to that.

Still, I'll check the tires closer, but they all seem to be in good shape. No strange wear patterns.

Thanks!

·
self-effacing bmw owner
522 Posts
i reported a rubbing noise on the front passenger side to my SA as well, but i suspected it was due to the parking brake not disengaging fully, as it tended to happen after i used it. turns out the parking brake cable was too tight and binding a bit, so it wasn't releasing fully... but it was not really a grinding noise, just a light rubbing with every turn of the wheel.

·
Registered
103 Posts
had the same noise on my car....which was due for brake pad change....the mechanic who changed the brake pads told me that the one of the wheels was floating and didnt make real contact with the rotor...so have to do slight machining to the hub bore....after that the grinding noise dissappeared...so cant say for sure if it was the rim or the brakes

strange tho coz i thought that the wear sensors would set off before any grinding noise is heard??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had the same noise on my car....which was due for brake pad change....the mechanic who changed the brake pads told me that the one of the wheels was floating and didnt make real contact with the rotor...so have to do slight machining to the hub bore....after that the grinding noise dissappeared...so cant say for sure if it was the rim or the brakes

strange tho coz i thought that the wear sensors would set off before any grinding noise is heard??
That's strange- did your mechanic have any theories on how that could've happened?

·
Registered
103 Posts
nah ...no explanations...guess 1 of the rims just wasnt bored to specs like the other 3...and fitted on the front, the hub comes stepped...so it didnt quite clear the inner hub ring

i dont think the brake indicators came on coz the bloke that did my suspension prolly snapped the sensors and decided to put the wheels on and conveniently forgot to tell me about the sensor.

only other thing i can think of that will cause a grinding noise is the wheel bearing...but that gets progressively louder with speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i reported a rubbing noise on the front passenger side to my SA as well, but i suspected it was due to the parking brake not disengaging fully, as it tended to happen after i used it. turns out the parking brake cable was too tight and binding a bit, so it wasn't releasing fully... but it was not really a grinding noise, just a light rubbing with every turn of the wheel.
same problem.....my e-brake was dragging. I do not have Bridgestones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought car to dealer today

Took car in today to check out the light grinding noise and a little belt squeal I noticed when starting the car first thing in the morning.

They couldn't replicate the light grinding noise, but they noticed that the back right rotor was pitted. So they replaced that rotor, the pads and the sensor.

They couldn't replicate the belt squeal either (I figured it just happened because it rained the night before) but they replaced the belt and idler pulley as well-- for preventative maintenance.

Driving home from the dealer, everything seemed fine, except turning the steering wheel now causes a bit of a whine.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts