BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Glad to be here with all of you.
After much debate I have finally decided to get rid of my 2013 Audi RS5, not that I dont love the drive but I must simply move on due to high gas prices and maintenance costs.

Thinking about getting a 2014 435i X drive, w/M Package in alpin white, with Automatic Tranny, what is your take on the vehicle and will I be disappointed with the purchase?

Few Pictures of my RS5 (Completely stock w/Sport Exhaust, titanium Package).

Attachments

·
///Member
508 Posts
Hi Guys,

Glad to be here with all of you.
After much debate I have finally decided to get rid of my 2013 Audi RS5, not that I dont love the drive but I must simply move on due to high gas prices and maintenance costs.

Thinking about getting a 2014 435i X drive, w/M Package in alpin white, with Automatic Tranny, what is your take on the vehicle and will I be disappointed with the purchase?

Few Pictures of my RS5 (Completely stock w/Sport Exhaust, titanium Package).
Nice Audi!

I suggest reading this: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-bmw-435i-page-2

I think you will see a noticeable difference in performance and handling. Have you test driven the 435 yet? Or any 4 series?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not test driven the car yet, it is sold by a local dealer and I left a deposit on it.
I am not expecting similar power output to the RS5, Iv'e heard nothing but good tihngs about the 435 and its handling.

Also torque rating on my current vehicle is quiet low @ 315, it is my understanding that the 435 will surpass that with minor modifications.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have not test driven the car yet, it is sold by a local dealer and I left a deposit on it.

I am not expecting similar power output to the RS5, Iv'e heard nothing but good tihngs about the 435 and its handling.

Also torque rating on my current vehicle is quiet low @ 315, it is my understanding that the 435 will surpass that with minor modifications.
Beautiful RS5! Will this be your first BMW?

Unless you're adamant on your new car being a coupe like the RS5, I'd look into a newer 340i - maybe a 2016 that came off a one year lease or something. They are lighter than the 435 and make more power and torque from the factory. The 3 series is also generally less expensive than the 4 series. If you're stuck on it being a coupe, look into the 440... I think you'll find the extra money worth the power and torque increase over the older 35's.

Good luck, and post pictures when you pick something! Welcome to the BMW family.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful RS5! Will this be your first BMW?

Unless you're adamant on your new car being a coupe like the RS5, I'd look into a newer 340i - maybe a 2016 that came off a one year lease or something. They are lighter than the 435 and make more power and torque from the factory. The 3 series is also generally less expensive than the 4 series. If you're stuck on it being a coupe, look into the 440... I think you'll find the extra money worth the power and torque increase over the older 35's.

Good luck, and post pictures when you pick something! Welcome to the BMW family.
I really like the coupe body style, altough id love the new 440i, im kind of on a budget here.... I feel like im getting a really good deal out of this 435, i have always been an Audi Driver and this would be my first BMW.
Im actually scheduled to purchase the vehicle tomorrow, I am well aware it is in some sort a downgrade from my current vehicle and thats ok with me, how's the exhaust note on the 435 ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im actually scheduled to purchase the vehicle tomorrow, I am well aware it is in some sort a downgrade from my current vehicle and thats ok with me, how's the exhaust note on the 435 ?
It's pretty mild in my opinion - especially compared to your stock RS5 exhaust. But that can be easily upgraded as you know.

I agree with Tom though... I would highly recommend test driving it before you commit.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,888 Posts
Sorry, I don't see this as a good trade. Going from a 2013 S5 to a 2014 435i xDrive to save on gas and maintenance just doesn't add up. It's a pretty rare occurrence that you'll see me advise someone to keep their Audi over a BMW, but that's what I think you should do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry, I don't see this as a good trade. Going from a 2013 S5 to a 2014 435i xDrive to save on gas and maintenance just doesn't add up. It's a pretty rare occurrence that you'll see me advise someone to keep their Audi over a BMW, but that's what I think you should do.
This is a good point that I did not touch on. Definitely isn't going to save much on gas. How many miles are on the BMW and is it a CPO? If it's well under 50,000 miles and a CPO car then it makes more sense - but if not... the maintenance costs will be the same if not higher than the Audi.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Insurance on the RS5 costs me roughly around 3k a year since im 25 years old, my daily commute around 30$ in gas daily and not to mention the 5,000$ brake job that is due......
The 435 has 25k miles on it, I am still debating whether or not I should buy the CPO.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts

I strongly suggest you test drive the 435. It's an xDrive which means (other than AWD) a raised suspension and soft non-sport springs and shocks. BMW's all wheel drive suspension is soft and floaty. Your RS5 is a far sportier car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I strongly suggest you test drive the 435. It's an xDrive which means (other than AWD) a raised suspension and soft non-sport springs and shocks. BMW's all wheel drive suspension is soft and floaty. Your RS5 is a far sportier car.
Another reason why I would like to get rid of the RS5 right now is I have a solid buyer looking to pay top dollar for it and I am worried that if I hold on to it too long the value will drop drastically.(Considering the new 2018 model will launch shortly).

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
Another reason why I would like to get rid of the RS5 right now is I have a solid buyer looking to pay top dollar for it and I am worried that if I hold on to it too long the value will drop drastically.(Considering the new 2018 model will launch shortly).
Good reason. I know you can't get RWD 3 series in Quebec but if you can find one with the dynamic handling package it will be a much better sport sedan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Insurance on the RS5 costs me roughly around 3k a year since im 25 years old, my daily commute around 30$ in gas daily and not to mention the 5,000$ brake job that is due......
The 435 has 25k miles on it, I am still debating whether or not I should buy the CPO.
I'm younger than you... so I'm in the same boat as far as insurance goes. It sucks.

Both of these are good reasons to sell the RS5. Guess we didn't fully understand your situation.

Maybe sell it and then shop around a little more? The 435 isn't a bad car by any means but it's just going to be completely different than what you're used to, as Michael already stated above. Not only somewhat of a downgrade, even though you said you were okay with that.... but also an entirely different feel. If the dealer has one, try a rwd 435 and an x-drive 435 and then compare the two. My guess is that you'll be a little more at home in the rwd model.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
447 Posts
$5,000 brake job? They're just brakes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A quick search shows a pair of RS5 rotors and pads is $1700.00 US. The OP is in Canada so $5k seems about right with labor. Remember it's not an A5 or even an S5. You have to pay to play at this level of vehicle.
Even if you are nuts enough to pay $3,400 for pads and rotors, why pay $1,300 in labor?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts