BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 2009 335d. I am new to diesel.
Any suggestions?

The car has 20,000 miles, premium package, cold weather package, convenience package, and sport package.

How often do you change the oil? I took it to my local dealership and they told me the next service date was January 2012. Should I rely on the car's on board computer system to alert me of a service or should I do the required change myself every 5,000 miles or so?

Is the dealership supposed to change the air filter and diesel filter? If so, when? (It has never been changed)

Recently, I had a recall for computer resetting, which the dealership took care of (In 2 days!). However, I am very apprehensive to take my car to the dealership again due to the following experience:

At the dealership when I picked up my car, I was given a service order stating that the microfilter had been changed. But when I came home and opened the filter compartment
(which is underneath windshield) It was full of dirt and leaves! I was appalled because this was a blatant lie. I called BMWUSA and relayed the story regarding the dealership.
Within 24 hours, I got a call from the general manager, service manager, and the owner.
They asked for me to bring my car for inspection. After the inspection, the service manager agreed with me that it had not been changed and the work order was a lie.
They gave me a free wash and wax coupon after changing the filter.

But my question is: Who knows if they really change you oil at the stealership?

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome to the world of diesel! I think the most important issue is to make sure you don't accidentally fill up with gasoline, and, if you do, don't start the car!

BMW service intervals are long and many owners like to change oil in between the approx. 15k miles the computer suggests. I personally like a 10k mile interval, but it is important to use the correct oil and stay away from those Jiffy Lube type places!

One way to check if the dealer is doing the oil changes is to pull the dip stick right after they change oil. It should be much less black than before. Of course you can also put marks on the drain plug, oil filter and filler cap to see if they were moved.

Your car comes with "free" maintenance for 4 years 50k miles so there is nothing to stop you going to another dealer if you don't trust the current one; any BMW Center will service your car. Based on your experience with the cabin air filter, you should switch!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
One way to check if the dealer is doing the oil changes is to pull the dip stick right after they change oil. It should be much less black than before.
Excellent advice. But check it soon after, as the engine oil in diesels gets black much faster than in gasoline engines. Since there is always a bit of residual oil, even the new stuff might look darker than you expect. So check it just before and just after the oil change to get an accurate comparison.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know where you are in Michigan but if you are in Southwest Michigan I can tell you who I use and they have been superb.

·
Banned
1,988 Posts
Almost every new car sold today has an on-board computer which determines the appropriate oil change interval. Add high quality synthetic oil whose purpose is to insure adequate engine protection with long oil drain intervals and you have nothing to worry about. That being said many BMW owners, myself included, prefer to do a mid-cycle oil change @ ~7,000 actual miles.

As for the diesel filter do u mean oil or fuel filter? The fuel filter IIRC has ~30k mile service life. In anycase relying on the dealership to do the work is no different than relying on anyone else who provides a service. For example do you KNOW whether or not the company which supplies gas to your local station doesn't pour gas which contains more than 10% ethanol? You don't. When it comes to an oil change it's easy with the diesel. New oil will be amber with little specks of soot in it and old oil will be BLACK.

Find a new dealership.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The fuel filter IIRC has ~30k mile service life.
Where are you getting that number from? Every time I take my car in for something I ask about when the fuel filter should be done and they never seem to know. I can't even establish if the car(non i-drive if it matters) will say when.

BMW service intervals are long and many owners like to change oil in between the approx. 15k miles the computer suggests. I personally like a 10k mile interval, but it is important to use the correct oil and stay away from those Jiffy Lube type places!
Someone else on here, in another thread, stated the computers interval is actually less than 15k miles. I forget the number they stated. Since the number changes based on how the car is used then I'd imagine whatever number it is, that it is the max possible length for an oil change.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Someone else on here, in another thread, stated the computers interval is actually less than 15k miles. I forget the number they stated. Since the number changes based on how the car is used then I'd imagine whatever number it is, that it is the max possible length for an oil change.
My mileage interval reset to 13k miles (or 1 yr) following my first oil service. I'll likely hit the time rather then mileage threshold, so not sweating the mileage estimates in either case.

Also, someone had mentioned being able to check the oil LEVEL via i-Drive? If so, how? On my 2010, I can check the service interval but I haven't found an oil level reading...

-Graham

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.