BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
After a brief 6 months ownership of a 2018 BMW 540d, I decided to move up the ladder and get a 2018 750Li loaded with every single feature known to mankind.
I got a huge discount on it and it was very hard to pass.
I will pick her up next Wednesday, pics to follow shortly afterward.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,477 Posts
Enjoy! I am a former F10 owner, now in a G12 and happy. But I would be interested in your comparison of G30 540 to G12, as my lease is up next year. I was thinking more about M550 but nevertheless would appreciate hearing why you moved from 5 to 7.

As of now I am thinking I will go G12 again, but the smaller size of the M550 is a plus on that side.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although they look pretty similar, 750 has a more luxurious interior and is a larger car all around. While 540d is an excellent car I did find it a tad small for my taste. I also did miss the high-end power I had on my previous 7er. But in your case, if you move to a 550 this should not be an issue.
Also, I like the exterior looks of 750 better than 5 series although this boils down to personal taste.
In terms of ride, 750 seems to have a quieter and more balanced ride than 5 series the latter can be attributed to the longer wheelbase and different suspension setup. My new 7 has the Dynamic Handling Package which makes the ride smooth as glass.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,044 Posts
Enjoy! I am a former F10 owner, now in a G12 and happy. But I would be interested in your comparison of G30 540 to G12, as my lease is up next year. I was thinking more about M550 but nevertheless would appreciate hearing why you moved from 5 to 7.

As of now I am thinking I will go G12 again, but the smaller size of the M550 is a plus on that side.
The main challenge with downsizing or "downgrading" is that your expectations have been set by the 7 Series. I've driven F10, G12, and G30 loaners, some for an extended period of time, and it's the small things that really add up over time.

There are some places where the gap between the G12 and G30 can be reduced with options on the G30. For example, there is no comparison between standard seats with dakota leather and multi-contour seats with nappa leather. The multi-contour seats are very comfortable and dakota leather has a thick polymer coating and rough grain (whereas nappa leather is much less treated).

However, more obscure options on the G30 like the leather dashboard and ceramic controls are very hard to come by. The leather dashboard doesn't add any functionality, but it does make the interior look much better. Ceramic controls is also similar, it just makes the iDrive controller and knobs feel more solid than those with aluminum trim. On the G12, the leather dashboard is included with nappa leather and ceramic controls is part of the executive package, so most 750i models have both.

Finally, there are the things that can't be upgraded with options. I found the steering wheel switches, headlight switch cluster, parking sensor switch cluster, and parking brake switch to all have a cheap plastic feel. This was immediately noticeable even before I left the service drive with the G30. On the G12, these are aluminum, which has a heavier and more quality feel.

Overall, I think that if you consider luxury and quality, a lot of the things that might be taken for granted on the 7 Series really add up. If you option up the G30 with all of the same options as a G12, you're probably going to be very close in terms of pricing, and at that point, you might as well get the G12. I do have the same thought when it comes to size, as the LWB is simply unnecessary for me (which is why I am very disappointed that the SWB is no longer sold in the US), but having spent some time behind the wheel of both, I'm probably going to stay with the 7 Series.

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 one on the 7 features... When looking to move my wife into a new 5 series (530e) we were disappointed that it didn't have the, of all things, the variable door check that the 7 series did. After getting my 750 we both said we never wanted a car that didn't have that feature (no more doors flinging open, then swinging back and closing on your legs). Doors that stay put under high wind scenarios when you open them, stay open and in place on hills etc.

I looked high and low for this feature in any other car but the 7 series and in other brands (MB) and could not find it. So... she is getting a beautiful 2016 750i xdrive this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts