BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all you who have actually taken delivery of your new E90s and spent some time driving them, give the rest of us expectant owners (who've only had a test drive or 2) your experiences with the Logic 7 sound system. Settings? Like DSP or not? Radio reception strength? Speakers? Subs? CD player? We want to know!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
whippet said:
Hey, all you who have actually taken delivery of your new E90s and spent some time driving them, give the rest of us expectant owners (who've only had a test drive or 2) your experiences with the Logic 7 sound system. Settings? Like DSP or not? Radio reception strength? Speakers? Subs? CD player? We want to know!
I don't have an E90, but I do have an E60 545 with the Logic7 audio. Let me preface this by saying that I have had competition-quality car stereos all my life, until I got married and couldn't get the WAF for aftermarket gear.

Anyway, the L7 in my E60 isn't as good as a $4000 aftermarket setup with proper subs and sub enclosures and quality amps, but it is easily the best stock audio system I've ever heard. It has a great front stage and excellent imaging (left-to-right). Mids and highs are terrific. It can get pretty loud before it starts to sound distorted.

My only complaint would be that there is no adjustable crossover, and it seems like they crossed it over a little too high, like maybe at 150Hz, where it should probably be at 100Hz or so. Because of this, the subs sound a little more boomy, or muddy. I'm not sure how big the drivers are in the subs (I would suspect 8" max, and probably more like 6x9), and I don't know how big the enclosures under the seats are or how they are tuned, but to get real good bass response, you usually have to spend some serious money on drivers with big magnets and dedicated sub amps.

I generally don't use the DSP functionality, but the times that I've experimented, the Concert Hall mode sounds very good.

Hope this helps,
-MrB

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It's better than the HK in the E46. Obviously won't compare to an aftermarket high $$$ stereo install. It's clean and bass is good. In the E90 there is an equalizer function that you can tune to your liking. MP3's play well. CD is good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are there specially recorded CD/MP3 that'll take advantage of Logic 7 system? Is there such thing as Audio system diagnosis CD that'll show you various aspects of Logic 7? I can't really tell the difference between cinema and musical mode...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mrbelk said:
I don't have an E90, but I do have an E60 545 with the Logic7 audio. Let me preface this by saying that I have had competition-quality car stereos all my life, until I got married and couldn't get the WAF for aftermarket gear.

Anyway, the L7 in my E60 isn't as good as a $4000 aftermarket setup with proper subs and sub enclosures and quality amps, but it is easily the best stock audio system I've ever heard. It has a great front stage and excellent imaging (left-to-right). Mids and highs are terrific. It can get pretty loud before it starts to sound distorted.

My only complaint would be that there is no adjustable crossover, and it seems like they crossed it over a little too high, like maybe at 150Hz, where it should probably be at 100Hz or so. Because of this, the subs sound a little more boomy, or muddy. I'm not sure how big the drivers are in the subs (I would suspect 8" max, and probably more like 6x9), and I don't know how big the enclosures under the seats are or how they are tuned, but to get real good bass response, you usually have to spend some serious money on drivers with big magnets and dedicated sub amps.

I generally don't use the DSP functionality, but the times that I've experimented, the Concert Hall mode sounds very good.

Hope this helps,
-MrB
Thanks, Mr. B. The subs are 8.5". 150 for the crossover does sound a bit high; I agree with you that 125 or 100 makes more sense. Hopefully, it is lower than you perceive! Also, I think the E60 and E90 systems are the same but I can't be positive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts