BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in the New York State area and my black '93 318i went through some tough seasons. With 125K miles, I think I have another 125K left but she's not looking too spiffy. I would like to give her a new dress. Has anyone done a repaint work on their bimmers? Is Maaco someone you would recommend? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally wouldnt get mine painted by Maaco. Their paint jobs arent too bad but they dont know how to prep the body before painting so it may not last very long. They're a nice cheap alternative if you are just trying to get 25,000 more miles but it wont last 125,000 in the any sun.

·
bmw330pp
1,545 Posts
If you are taking it to Macco you are better off doing the prep work yourself........if you have any know-how. If you're not spending at least $1500 for your paintjob don't expect it to last too long, or the quality to be good. :tsk:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Macco, you might as well get Earl Schibe to paint it,or better yet get a paint brush and a can of paint. You may try going to some car shows/hot rod exhibits and talk to some of those folks. I have met some great auto painters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i when first got my car it was stock silver...then my car got broken into so i spent 3500.00 on the Lexus IS300 graphite...now since im goin all show im gonna get my car painted white for like 400.00 at maaco then ima get my connects to put a 5 more coats of clear coat cause maaco does not put alot of clear coat as they are suppose too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your warnings on maaco. do you have any suggestions as to who/where i might be able to get a decent paint job and not spend more than the car is worth? what have others done to their 12 year old cars to revive its look?

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you find a body shop that handles insurance claims and have full coverage you can talk to one of the guys there, sometimes they can do a paint job for paint chips as a result of road debris (rocks etc) and get it written off for your deductible. (mine is $500) find a body shop that does customization work, they normally have an above average painter who will prep the car, mask it nicely and give you a good cover with clear coats and wet sanded to perfection :) (i guess this is kind of shady way to do it, but insurance companies make too much money anyways!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts