BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 335i sport package with the n55 I change both the pump and thermostat. How ever my system wouldn’t self. Bleed the car it ran fine then the next day over heated found it was the thermostat circuit open. Just put a new thermostat in and still no self bleeding car started fluids are moving but then it got hot still. I’m not really sure why it won’t self bleed or why my cars still continues to get hot can anyone shoot some advice

· Anti-Hack
8,426 Posts
Yeah: bleed it. You’ll continue to overheat until you do. Bleed manually if the self bleed procedure doesn’t work.

The simplest reason for it not working is the battery is low on charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah: bleed it. You’ll continue to overheat until you do. Bleed manually if the self bleed procedure doesn’t work.

The simplest reason for it not working is the battery is low on charge.

I have a brand new battery in it. I just placed it cause the one I put in a month ago was bad

· Registered
102 Posts
Sorry you are having trouble. Are you pushing your gas pedal all the way to the floor? Mine feels like i get to the floor and then a sight bit more pressure and it goes a tiny bit more and bleed is activated.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I have a brand new battery in it. I just placed it cause the one I put in a month ago was bad
You just replaced a new battery?

Maybe you have charging system issue that is etehr killing batteries or leading you to believe batteries are bad?

· Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2011 335i sport package with the n55 I change both the pump and thermostat. How ever my system wouldn’t self. Bleed the car it ran fine then the next day over heated found it was the thermostat circuit open. Just put a new thermostat in and still no self bleeding car started fluids are moving but then it got hot still. I’m not really sure why it won’t self bleed or why my cars still continues to get hot can anyone shoot some advice
Replace the engine temperature valve , you can easily bleed the engine by putting it in drive and reverse several times to get the water pump moving

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You just replaced a new battery?

Maybe you have charging system issue that is etehr killing batteries or leading you to believe batteries are bad?
I just had a new alternator put in and new battery 2 months ago. And then it drained it and I took the battery back cause it’s warranty and go a new one for free.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now. I’m getting the p0128 code. I’ve changed the water pump just put a new thermostat yesturday . My bleeding screw snapped off inside. What’s next that I can do to get my car running. CUse I can’t seem to figure out the problem.

· Registered
05' 330Cic ZHP E46, 89 525i E34
9 Posts
get the snapped off bleeder screw threads out and replace it. i replaced mine with a metal one. jack up front of car while bleeding the system. there are lots of bleeding tuts. do not forget to wait until car is cooled down to open the cap or bleeder screw. mine does same thing but im changing water pump and thermostat today. bleeding system always works as long as coolant isnt leaking out causing it to get low after bleeding

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
get the snapped off bleeder screw threads out and replace it. i replaced mine with a metal one. jack up front of car while bleeding the system. there are lots of bleeding tuts. do not forget to wait until car is cooled down to open the cap or bleeder screw. mine does same thing but im changing water pump and thermostat today. bleeding system always works as long as coolant isnt leaking out causing it to get low after bleeding
My system won’t self bleed I don’t have any leaks. Just replaced both of those tried to manual bleed and realize that I’m not getting fluid through a couple lines at all

· Registered
102 Posts
i would be concerned if the car wont respond to the bleed command. Are you 100% certain you did the process correctly. key fob in, start button pushed on but car not started..heat setting on max temp (does not matter fan speed), overflow open and then gas pedal to the floor for 12+ seconds. the pump should instantly kick on. if it does not then i would look for either a faulty pump, improperly seated connector, or a electrical concern that hopefully some of the way smarter guys than me can help you find. it would seem to me that the pump is not cycling on. A good scanner or laptop with the BMW software can turn the pump on.

The reason i ask are you sure about the bleed procedure...i had a similar issue as i was not pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would be concerned if the car wont respond to the bleed command. Are you 100% certain you did the process correctly. key fob in, start button pushed on but car not started..heat setting on max temp (does not matter fan speed), overflow open and then gas pedal to the floor for 12+ seconds. the pump should instantly kick on. if it does not then i would look for either a faulty pump, improperly seated connector, or a electrical concern that hopefully some of the way smarter guys than me can help you find. it would seem to me that the pump is not cycling on. A good scanner or laptop with the BMW software can turn the pump on.

The reason i ask are you sure about the bleed procedure...i had a similar issue as i was not pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
Yeah bro I’ve tried it numerous times and nothing but I know the pump was working when I started the car I heard it and the next day my thermostat went. Out. I got a p0597. Thermostat circuit open. Then changed the thermostat Saturday. Cleared that. And then it popped up with a p0128. Just put my scanner on it right now. And not it’s not even throwing a code. Now. So I’m not sure what’s left to change other then the temp sensor. But I don’t understand why I don’t have pressure or fluid running through a couple lines. Unlesss I squeeze them like I’m pumping it. I’m just dropping money and nothings change if the result at this point.

· Registered
102 Posts
If the pump is pumping and you are 100% certain of that it would seem like a physical restriction at this point. I have never had one of my cars have that but I have heard of it happening. Collapsed hose or a scaled up radiator. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable guys will jump in. Good luck. I know its frustrating

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it’s beeen very frustrating took out the old pump replaced it with a brand new Bavarian pump just got a new thermostat and now this. Prior to this I Just got it back from bmw causemy shit went haywire had to have it towed to the dealer ship. lost fluids then. They replaced belt alternator and oils housing gaskets about a month ago And after I got it back. I’d unlock my car after it was sitting all night. Not even turn it on or open the door and the pump would turn on now I can’t even get the thing to run right yet alone run anot not get hot. It would the night after I changed the pump then the next day thermostat was out. I’m not sure where to go and I’m don’t wanna take it to the shop I’m still paying on the lSt trip there

· Anti-Hack
8,426 Posts
Or someone used a stop-leak treatment to hide a leak before you bought it... what coolant lines are you not getting fluid through? And how are you certain?

Confused at the”pump running when opening the door” comment. Door has nothing to do with water pump, but does with the fuel pump.

If the bleed screw snapped it needs to be replaced or you’ll have a leak. Fish it out and replace. GAS makes a nice brass option.

Going back to your original post, what exact code was given for the thermostat. They have a mechanical wax element so the fail open than closed most of the time, and a faulty yet open thermostat wouldn’t cause an overheat, it would cause an underheat. Things aren’t adding up; I think you have something else happening.

How long have you had this car, and has it ever overheated other than the time mentioned in the original post? A single overheat an a BMW N series engine can be catastrophic, it’s not an iron block ABA that can be ran without coolant until it heat seizes and then re-started a half hour later.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve only had it since September. Anytime I unlocked the car with the only water pump in it the pump would turn on and run. After the pump replacement the code was p0597. Replaced thermostat and cleared. Then I got p0128 Heater lines I gotta squeeze like I’m pumping and then I can feels some fluids but barely . Not really sure where to go. From here but the pump won’t self bleed I’ve checked the fuses battery dme and glove box. All good. Had the battery on charger still nothing. When I go to bleed it the electrical arceosss the top starts making noises but no pump there’s no codes At all now either

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Or someone used a stop-leak treatment to hide a leak before you bought it... what coolant lines are you not getting fluid through? And how are you certain?

Confused at the”pump running when opening the door” comment. Door has nothing to do with water pump, but does with the fuel pump.

If the bleed screw snapped it needs to be replaced or you’ll have a leak. Fish it out and replace. GAS makes a nice brass option.

Going back to your original post, what exact code was given for the thermostat. They have a mechanical wax element so the fail open than closed most of the time, and a faulty yet open thermostat wouldn’t cause an overheat, it would cause an underheat. Things aren’t adding up; I think you have something else happening.

How long have you had this car, and has it ever overheated other than the time mentioned in the original post? A single overheat an a BMW N series engine can be catastrophic, it’s not an iron block ABA that can be ran without coolant until it heat seizes and then re-started a half hour later.

I didn’t have anyt propbkems with the car until I had to get a breathalyzer installed and then a lot of shit has went wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.