BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 530ia sport package. I just put two Bridgestone Pole Position tires on the rear and now the rear end is extremely loose. The rear end floats and sways especially when changing lanes on the turnpike. I can't believe that putting new tires on would cause the cars handling to south so much. The tires are rated "W" and my existing fronts (Continental ContiSport) are rated "Y". Should I ask the tire dealer to swap the rears to match the front? Is he going to try to take me to the cleaners by recommending a bunch of rear suspension work? One other thing, I looked under the car and a lot of the grease was rubbed off of the lower suspension parts. I don't see why they even touched that part of the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, car has 80K miles.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
Mixing tires is ALWAYS a bad idea....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mixing tires is ALWAYS a bad idea....
This, especially when the tires have different compounds, tread patterns, speed ratings, wear ratings, etc.

Ninja edit: just realized this was a resurrected thread...

·
Registered
587 Posts
what is the tire pressure in all of the tires? i would guess the rear tires are inflated to Max pressure instead of the recommended pressure listed on the jam of the driver's side door.

G~

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
what is the tire pressure in all of the tires? i would guess the rear tires are inflated to Max pressure instead of the recommended pressure listed on the jam of the driver's side door.

G~
+1 that was my question too. Mixed tires should only be a problem when you are near the limit of the worse tires capability.

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts
+1 that was my question too. Mixed tires should only be a problem when you are near the limit of the worse tires capability.
+2. I would also suspect the new grippier tires are allowing the OP to now feel the problems in the rest of the suspension that might be masked by the previous worn tires. I am betting worn rear ball joints as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts