BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of a 2012 35d with 67k miles. A friend of mine (ex mechanic for a large North American Brand) suggested I purchase BrakeMotive set of drilled and slated rotors for the X5. He has installed them on several other cars (Audis, BMW and Chevs) and swore by them.

I did a little bit of research but couldn't find much on this brand/previous BMW owners. I'm assuming most owners of newer BMW's can afford to take it to the DealerShip and/or Indy...and very few actually do work themselves.

Regardless, I went ahead and ordered front/rear set of BrakeMotive rotors with Ceramic pads from:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/brakemotive76?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

For US$300 / set...worth a try.

When I received the rotors, they were stamped with a p/n which went cross referenced online came back to Power Stop Brakes...interesting that some of the website elements are similar between BrakeMotive and Power Stop. So I emailed BrakeMotive and they told me their rotors are manufactured by Kinetic...

Anyway's... I installed the rotors and pads. My only "issue" was that my old rotors were "seized" on the hub...

The rotors are performing very well. Minimal dust, good grab, no noise, no pulsating, good feel....actually, I'm finding the brake pedal feel a little "softer" than before so very minimal.

I've only put about 1000km on the new hardware but so far so good and especially when you consider the good value.

B

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Your brake feel is softer due to ceramic compound of brake pads.
Most owners go with OEM, ATE, Zimmerman, EBC and other proven brands.
Let us know how it holds up. Also, take into consideration that ceramic pads wear out rotors faster.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,309 Posts
Thats about what I paid for Zimmerman rotors and akebono pads....

Im not a fan of 'drilled and slotted'...one or the other, and you only need that on race/track cars. On a grocery getter SUV its a bit silly. The drilled part also can result in a higher failure rate or shorter rotor life. YMMV

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Be interested to see if you get another 67k out of these!

Did you replace the sensors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
copy thanks. Good to know.

Luckily my wife isn't doing brake stands ...

I'm also curious to see how these old up...I went back and forth quite a bit before deciding to try it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARD...in abiding by your motto...keeping it simple but no simpler... I did not replace the sensors.

I had replaced the pads (and sensors) about 40,000 km ago...So...when I was removing the brakes...the pads had a lot of meat left. Sensors were fine (had not started to wear) so... I carefully, removed the sensor from the rotor and re-used it. I know I know...it's an inexpensive part but what the heck...If any issues come up...I'll replace.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There's absolutely no problem with reusing the sensor if it hasn't been worn into. I've been doing maintenance on all my BMWs for the past 10 years and never had an issue reusing one that was not beyond reusing.

I do agree with Ard in that I'm not a big fan of drilled and slotted rotors with non-performance calipers. No noticeable gain if any and more noise.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
ARD...in abiding by your motto...keeping it simple but no simpler... I did not replace the sensors.

I had replaced the pads (and sensors) about 40,000 km ago...So...when I was removing the brakes...the pads had a lot of meat left. Sensors were fine (had not started to wear) so... I carefully, removed the sensor from the rotor and re-used it. I know I know...it's an inexpensive part but what the heck...If any issues come up...I'll replace.
Yeah, good job!
Did you change brake fluid. I would do that too.
Also, when it comes to rotors, as general comment, so far I was most happy, by far, on all vehicles I had, with Brembo rotors.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,309 Posts

OK, sounds fine. DO keep in mind that BMW has these new 'two stage' sensors, one sensor trips and is used by the computer to adjust the default rate for the pads so the prediction is more accurate. The SECOND contact trips when the pad hit the minimum. AFAIK

If you really havent tripped any contacts you are good to go. (and honestly, as long as I have no red lights I dont gie a crap about what the BMW computer says in terms of brakes or oil, so having an accurate pad life prediction isnt a priority for me personally. The red light tells me what I need to know..)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
OK, sounds fine. DO keep in mind that BMW has these new 'two stnage' sensors, one sensor trips and is used by the computer to adjust the default rate for the pads so the prediction is more accurate. The SECOND contact trips when the pad hit the minimum. AFAIK

If you really havent tripped any contacts you are good to go. (and honestly, as long as I have no red lights I dont gie a crap about what the BMW computer says in terms of brakes or oil, so having an accurate pad life prediction isnt a priority for me personally. The red light tells me what I need to know..)
Wait, what red light? I thought we should wait rivets to sound:)

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Hahahah

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just FYI I have a practically new set of Genuine BMW front rotors and pads for a 35d for sale. Only asking $200. PM me for more details.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Curious to hear how the BrakeMotive pads and rotors have held up. My brother swears by them, and put them on our mother's E83 as well as his F150. The price certainly is right!

iDrive says I've got a few hundred miles to go on the rear pads and 10k on the fronts. But, at the price of the BrakeMotive set, hard to find a reason not to do the whole vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far so good. I have close to 20k km on the rotors/pads. They are working very well.

At the one year mark, I'll pull the wheels and measure the rotors to see if there's any heavy wear.

I'm going to be replacing rotors/pads on my 328ic this spring BrakeMotive product.

b

·
Registered
355 Posts
So far so good. I have close to 20k km on the rotors/pads. They are working very well.

At the one year mark, I'll pull the wheels and measure the rotors to see if there's any heavy wear.

I'm going to be replacing rotors/pads on my 328ic this spring BrakeMotive product.

b
Well, I'd say you're off to a good start. Seems like some other folks around BMW boards have had pretty good results as well.

Between the pricing, results my family has seen on other vehicles, and your partial endorsement...I'll be giving them a go!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts