BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,
well, i finally order new rotors(will ship in the next few days i believe) StopTech Sport Kit Brake Upgrade Package for the E60 thanks to jlevisw.com awesome store with great customer service.. just wondering if anybody has any input about this item or does anybody have it on right now,pls let me know how it feels because i can't wait to have them installed.. thanks again in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the cross drilled rotors and didn't like them. Any time I applied firm brake pressure I would get a loud whine from rotors. It was very annoying especially driving a 7 series.
The braking power on the other hand was about the same. The only time your going to see a difference in braking is in under extreme conditions where your going to experience "fade". The cross drilled will remain cooler and will have less fade but how often will you see this driving safely on our public streets...

·
Fireguy
6 Posts
I also stayed away from the drilled rotors (recommendation from my mechanic). Went with aftermarket, solid high performance units. Stock calipers as mine were in great shape. The brakes work great! No squealing, chatter or pull. The stopping distance is maybe just a little shy of the stock, softer pads but I sure don't miss all that brake dust! The ceramics are awesome!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had the cross drilled rotors and didn't like them. Any time I applied firm brake pressure I would get a loud whine from rotors. It was very annoying especially driving a 7 series.
The braking power on the other hand was about the same. The only time your going to see a difference in braking is in under extreme conditions where your going to experience "fade". The cross drilled will remain cooler and will have less fade but how often will you see this driving safely on our public streets...
+1 on the whine, I will not go drilled and slotted in the future. the looks are not worth the annoying sound.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
i've used powerslots on 2 different vehicles with hawk and performance friction pads...
In the hope that it's also useful to the E60 crowd, the E39'ers have collected key information for choosing brakes, pads, suppliers, and rotors over in the VERY best of E39 Links ...

- What E39 street use brake pads (1) and rotors (1) and suppliers (1) (2) are most often recommended & how to do a complete four wheel brake job DIY (1) (2) (3) including the parking brake drum shoes (1) (2) (3) & exactly what lube/paste to use and not use (1) & where to lube (1) and not to lube (1) what tools (1) (2) and supplies (1) you'll need & what specifications you must know (1) including minimum specs for the brake shoes (1) (2) taking care to measure torque accurately (1) & how to crack friction material edge codes (1) & how far you can go once the brake wear sensor trips (1) (2) (3) (4) & how long do rotors last (1) & how to clear the check brake lining warning the right way (1) (2) and how to hardwire the sensor (1) (2) & how to diagnose brake-related vibration (1) (2) (3) & the truth about rotor "warp" (1) & how to rebuild the calipers (1) & how to measure runout (1) & should you just turn the rotors (1) & how to remove stuck rusted-on brake rotors (1) & how to remove a stuck 6mm brake rotor set screw (1) & how to replace the anti-rattle spring (1) (2) & what about unsightly rust (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to bed (1) (2) & bleed or flush (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) your brakes & what brake & clutch hydraulic fluid to use (1) and how much it will cost if you do not DIY (1) (2) (3)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.