Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1




Only con : FWD
 

·
Brilliant!
Joined
·
9,932 Posts
I had a Saab 9-3 turbo convertible as a rental for a week in Florida a few years ago. It was a very nice car. Too bad the FWD torque steer was so severe and the turbo lag was really bad.

Fun and nice car otherwise.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
I think I see a little E46 in the side and rear, and certainly a little bit of the (new) A4 in the C-pillar/trunklid area.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,151 Posts
BTW, this SAAB 9-3 model will be made entirely in Finland starting this fall! The same production line that makes the SAAB 900 Convertible and Porsche Boxster (100km from here in Uusikaupunki).

I would never buy a SAAB (unless it was an airplane), and even less so if it was made in Finland!

Yikes.

Patrick
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Patrick 320d said:
BTW, this SAAB 9-3 model will be made entirely in Finland starting this fall! The same production line that makes the SAAB 900 Convertible and Porsche Boxster (100km from here in Uusikaupunki).

I would never buy a SAAB (unless it was an airplane), and even less so if it was made in Finland!

Yikes.

Patrick
Aren't most Porsche Boxsters made in Finland at that plant?
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Only con : FWD [/B]
I've always said that for the majority of BMW drivers who have no idea why they should prefer RWD or even notice the difference in anything but snowy/icy conditions, that the Saabs are a great choice.

They offer a lot of car for the money, are gorgeously styled, are free from the BMW stigma, and, recently, rank very high on the JD Power quality rankings.

This new 9-3 (although built on a platform that will be shared with the Pontiac Grand Am among others - the Sigma platform), LOOKS great. Certainly infinitely better than any upcoming BMW design. And it manages to look European in spite of it's GM-ness (while all of the upcoming BMW designs look strangely Japanese).

I'm looking forward to driving it, although I imagine I'll end up recommending it to the same people I recommended the current 9-3 to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,151 Posts
TD said:
Aren't most Porsche Boxsters made in Finland at that plant?
Yes. They also "produce" the Lada Euro-Samara, and tried and failed to make a winner out of the Opel (GM) Calibra.

Some of the Boxster S models (or all of them) are made in Styer, Austria.

I laughed my äss off two years ago when I went home to Seattle to visit my folks and my Dad had bought himself a Boxster. Ok looking, but after having six 911's in the family, the Boxster was a slushbox IMHO.

Whatever!

Patrick
 

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
Joined
·
3,300 Posts
Unfortunately, the other con that is afflicts the vehicle is---> It's a Saab. While reliability of newer models has improved dramatically over previous ones, and this being built on an Opel chassis lends it more credibility, the biggest con to owning a Saab is resale. If it's anything like past and current models, it will suck big time.

I see a few Silver Saab Aero wagons driving around my area, and they are drop dead gorgeous, so much so that I talk to my wife about replacing her ML320 for one. But the reality of being severely scorched on my 97 900Turbo with resale always brings me firmly back to level ground.

But I agree with TD -- styling is phenomenal, and it is unique and has Zero stigma associated with it.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
Now THAT'S a pretty cool looking dash/center console cluster!

Please tell me that it'll be available with a manual tranny as well (surely GM wouldn't do that to us?).

The other neat thing about Saabs is that their so quirky. Always loved the placement of the ignition key. Porsches have nuthin' on us Saab owners!

:D

'Course, we'll need an AWD or RWD variant before serious consideration.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hts said:
Now THAT'S a pretty cool looking dash/center console cluster!

Please tell me that it'll be available with a manual tranny as well (surely GM wouldn't do that to us?).

The other neat thing about Saabs is that their so quirky. Always loved the placement of the ignition key. Porsches have nuthin' on us Saab owners!

:D

'Course, we'll need an AWD or RWD variant before serious consideration.
Saabs have always been available with manual trannies. I's assume this will be no different. Hell, if GM is adding a manual tranny to a Caddy, I'd have to bet the Saabs will continue to have them.

And I think GM is thinking about an AWD variant of the 9-3.

Which would give me yet another alternative should Bangle totally destroy BMW styling.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
TD said:


Saabs have always been available with manual trannies. I's assume this will be no different. Hell, if GM is adding a manual tranny to a Caddy, I'd have to bet the Saabs will continue to have them.

And I think GM is thinking about an AWD variant of the 9-3.

Which would give me yet another alternative should Bangle totally destroy BMW styling.
Cool Tom. Guess we'll be seeing each other over at the (I just registered the domain name) saabfest.com web site?

Anyone know if Saab offers a discount on their (do they even have one) Euro delivery program?

:D
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hts said:


Cool Tom. Guess we'll be seeing each other over at the (I just registered the domain name) saabfest.com web site?

Anyone know if Saab offers a discount on their (do they even have one) Euro delivery program?

:D
Actually, I think Saab DOES offer ED.

The only drawback- You start out in Sweden rather than Germany.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
TD said:


Actually, I think Saab DOES offer ED.

The only drawback- You start out in Sweden rather than Germany.
Hmph, cool. (Now if only I was single again--I hear the Swedish women are real hotties).

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
When is it coming out?
 

·
A sudden sense of liberty
Joined
·
3,939 Posts
Alex Baumann said:




Only con : FWD
I don't know; I see a lot of Passat/Mondeo/Vectra in that front 3/4 view.

The achilles heel of recent Saabs has been the complete inability of their platforms to deal with the high-horsepower engines under the hood. FWD alone is a serious disadvantage, but Saabs have taken the flaws of FWD to an entirely new level.

The Sigma platform is an important one for GM, but it will also serve as the basis for some pretty down market vehicles (like the Grand Am and, IIRC, the Saturn ION). Contrast this with the Volvo FWD platform, which was designed initially for the S80 and was later moved down to the S60 (and was expensive enough to build that it could not be economically adapted to the Taurus, to Nasser's chagrin). We'll see if it's good enough for the 9-3, but I have my doubts.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: New Saab 9-3

JST said:


I don't know; I see a lot of Passat/Mondeo/Vectra in that front 3/4 view.

The achilles heel of recent Saabs has been the complete inability of their platforms to deal with the high-horsepower engines under the hood. FWD alone is a serious disadvantage, but Saabs have taken the flaws of FWD to an entirely new level.

The Sigma platform is an important one for GM, but it will also serve as the basis for some pretty down market vehicles (like the Grand Am and, IIRC, the Saturn ION). Contrast this with the Volvo FWD platform, which was designed initially for the S80 and was later moved down to the S60 (and was expensive enough to build that it could not be economically adapted to the Taurus, to Nasser's chagrin). We'll see if it's good enough for the 9-3, but I have my doubts.
I agree, that will be a potential make-or-break. Hopefully GM Engineering is smart enough to have figured that if they want to make their universal platform strategy successful, they'd better start out with a high-level base, and not fall into what Chrysler did with the K-car platform. :eek:

As for the looks of the 9-3, I think it looks pretty sharp. I really like that dash. Hopefully they'll continue their tradition of 5dr hatchbacks, a bodystyle I've always liked, and frankly, prefer to wagons.
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
DaveN323i said:
Humm, maybe about time. The cold war seems to be ending. :)

Edit: I hope you guys understand what I mean.

The Americans, under the leadership of Ronald Reagan, perhaps our country's finest President EVER, were willing to end the cold war ions ago. It was those damn Ruskies that held out for way too long!

:D

:thumb:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: New Saab 9-3

JST said:


I don't know; I see a lot of Passat/Mondeo/Vectra in that front 3/4 view.
I agree, it looks a lot like a Ford Mondeo, which is a really good Ford :)
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top