BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So to give you run down of my last two weeks (this was going on over Christmas and New Year).
I got CEL somewhere at the beginning of December, Carly immediately show that it is metering valve.
Valve changed.
Mid December, I get 4D18 and 42FC= DNOx efficiency.
Car is still under CPO, I get the car to dealership around December 20th.
1. Car failed SCR test.
First attempt: Checking DEF line to metering valve. DEF line leaking. DEF line changed. Car fails SCR test. DEF tested. DEF at 33.5%=OK according to BMW.
2. PUMA case opened. Engineers from Germany advise for both NOx sensors to be changed (this is now after Christmas).
Car fails SCR test again.
3. Engineers advise for SCR catalytic converter to be replaced. I agree for replacement for price of approximately of $1,700 with labor.
SCR cat replaced, car passes SCR test.

Total bill after some nice talk= $1,485.
I was at 83k, just 3k above 80k State required warranty (Colorado).
Considering that now I have brand new SCR cat with two year warranty, both NOx sensors new, relatively new Passive tank, new metering valve, I might keep now car two more years.
Also, those who doubt PEAK DEF that is available everywhere, well BMW thinks it is just fine.

· Registered
643 Posts
Ugh, I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of trading in my X5, for a F15, but I'm not keen on the styling and electronic steering.

I was also quoted $1,700 for the SCR Cat, my indy said his cost would be about the same because he'd have to hire an outside welder since they have to cut out the old SCR cat and weld in the new one. I just had about $1,500 of other work done. My CBU is not bad so I may just put in the $1,700 and hope it lasts another 100K miles (I'm at 102K right now).

What are your driving habits? I'm about 30 miles per day of commuting in 50/50 city/highway. I also drive it on short trips when I go to the gym or take the family out and stuff. I do get in a long 250 mile trip to NJ every few weeks. So while not ideal for a diesel, it's not entirely short cold trips.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
huh. Sounds familiar.

However if it was under CPO why was in more than $50?

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh, I'm in the same boat. I was thinking of trading in my X5, for a F15, but I'm not keen on the styling and electronic steering.

I was also quoted $1,700 for the SCR Cat, my indy said his cost would be about the same because he'd have to hire an outside welder since they have to cut out the old SCR cat and weld in the new one. I just had about $1,500 of other work done. My CBU is not bad so I may just put in the $1,700 and hope it lasts another 100K miles (I'm at 102K right now).

What are your driving habits? I'm about 30 miles per day of commuting in 50/50 city/highway. I also drive it on short trips when I go to the gym or take the family out and stuff. I do get in a long 250 mile trip to NJ every few weeks. So while not ideal for a diesel, it's not entirely short cold trips.
I do 50/50 with some really long trips (2,000+ miles) every year. I use only Shell fuel, drive like I stole it etc.
SA said to me: keep receipt, thy might extend warranty on this part too. So maybe that happens.
I am with you when it comes to F15.

· Registered
8,070 Posts
SCR at DPF are not covered by CPO! Go figure.
Wow, I'm sure that will be a surprise to a lot of CPO owners. I would have assumed it was covered until reading the fine print, likely after purchase as that is when the contract is sent...

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I had an extended warranty and it covered. Alwys thought the CPO=BMW Gold.

Did you READ your CPO document?

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an extended warranty and it covered. Alwys thought the CPO=BMW Gold.

Did you READ your CPO document?
Yep, I read it, not covered. Was not concerned with that thinking while SCR cat is different cat, it is not completely new technology. Commercial sector is using it since 1994.
I think this might be item that will get extended warranty. I will also file complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interestingly...if it is coverede under a warranty, there is not added 2 year cover.

So if they do kick you back the $1400 you will still get the two year cover. Had they covered it for free from the get go, no so

FWIW,

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961676&highlight=4d16
Well we will see what happens, if they go with extended warranty anyway.
I highly doubt I will keep this car pass 2019 due to family size increase. Need something with real third row and much more trunk.

· Registered
643 Posts
Well we will see what happens, if they go with extended warranty anyway.
I highly doubt I will keep this car pass 2019 due to family size increase. Need something with real third row and much more trunk.

Forget about the CX-9, the 4 banger turbo is awful, even with G-Vectoring (adaptive drive), and the interior feels smaller than the X5.

XC90 TC6 Inscription wasn't bad, that'll probably be my next third-rower for my wife.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey guys,

So to give you run down of my last two weeks (this was going on over Christmas and New Year).
I got CEL somewhere at the beginning of December, Carly immediately show that it is metering valve.
Valve changed.
1. Car failed SCR test.
First attempt: Checking DEF line to metering valve. DEF line leaking. DEF line changed. Car fails SCR test. DEF tested. DEF at 33.5%=OK according to BMW.
2. PUMA case opened. Engineers from Germany advise for both NOx sensors to be changed (this is now after Christmas).
3. Engineers advise for SCR catalytic converter to be replaced. I agree for replacement for price of approximately of $1,700 with labor.

Considering that now I have brand new SCR cat with two year warranty, both NOx sensors new, relatively new Passive tank, new metering valve, I might keep now car two more years.
Also, those who doubt PEAK DEF that is available everywhere, well BMW thinks it is just fine.
My 2012 X5 35d had its SCR cat replaced at 165k miles after replacing both NOx sensors. At least one of the NOx sensors was still original, probably the post-cat sensor. It failed the SCR test after replacing both sensors because the SCR cat was essentially functioning as nothing more than a straight pipe because NOx levels weren't being reduced. The SCR cat really did need to be replaced. The cost was similar to your $1700 quoted cost. No issues with the DEF line or Passive tank or SCR metering valve. The car is only at 179k miles and is 2 oil changes away from 200k miles. I'm keeping the car and it won't be for sale anytime soon.

I use only Peak branded DEF. I get it at my local Walmart* because they have the best deal on it ($7.88 for a 2.5 gallon jug). I DIY all DEF fills using an modified AdBlue bottle as a custom funnel. I only fill the passive tank so that I know the transfer pump between tanks is still working.

Brand of DEF doesn't matter since it's all the same according to the ISO standard and used worldwide. Bottom line is DEF is DEF is DEF...is DEF.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Brand of DEF doesn't matter since it's all the same according to the ISO standard and used worldwide. Bottom line is DEF is DEF is DEF...is DEF.
I find that if I dont drink water for a day, my pee is right at the ISO standard for urea.....

:angel:

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forget about the CX-9, the 4 banger turbo is awful, even with G-Vectoring (adaptive drive), and the interior feels smaller than the X5.

XC90 TC6 Inscription wasn't bad, that'll probably be my next third-rower for my wife.
I will wait for new turbo VR6 in VW Atlas. That thing is so practical it is ridiculous, and it drives ok (do not get me wrong, doesn't drive like X5 at all). However, I am eyeing 128i with stick shift, maybe 2011-2013. I was thinking 135 but naturally aspirated engines are almost extinct. It would not be bad to own BMW inline naturally aspirated engine with stick shift.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2012 X5 35d had its SCR cat replaced at 165k miles after replacing both NOx sensors. At least one of the NOx sensors was still original, probably the post-cat sensor. It failed the SCR test after replacing both sensors because the SCR cat was essentially functioning as nothing more than a straight pipe because NOx levels weren't being reduced. The SCR cat really did need to be replaced. The cost was similar to your $1700 quoted cost. No issues with the DEF line or Passive tank or SCR metering valve. The car is only at 179k miles and is 2 oil changes away from 200k miles. I'm keeping the car and it won't be for sale anytime soon.

I use only Peak branded DEF. I get it at my local Walmart* because they have the best deal on it ($7.88 for a 2.5 gallon jug). I DIY all DEF fills using an modified AdBlue bottle as a custom funnel. I only fill the passive tank so that I know the transfer pump between tanks is still working.

Yeah I know DEF is DEF. My point was to emphasize that for people who always come back with question: should I use BMW branded DEF.

· Registered
742 Posts
Hey guys,

Valve changed.
1. Car failed SCR test.

How does your tail pipe look like?I mean any signs of soot? Read elsewhere that if you see fine layer of soot(due to cracks in DPF) can cause SCR CAT to fail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.