BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I got them back today, still waiting for help to get here to help me get the hardtop off so I can put them back in the car, Here are some pics
Remeber my cam is not so good so detail is not as great in the pics as it is in person:)
I am very pleased with the job they did on these, I thought about maybe two tone but at the time I thought I was pressing my luck by having them re done so I played it safe and went all black

Attachments

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
more...Now I can sleep better at night knowing they are home safe :)
I was worried that stitching seams would be off or not lined up right but I have gone over them both twice and these guys really did a great job on them

Attachments

·
1,421 Posts
wow, that's really impressive work. beautiful. glad they turned out so good for you :thumbup: . So Zroady sport seats have a different pattern than Zcoupe sport seats?

(BTW, have you done the Whalen seat bushings yet? might as well while the seats are out...)

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Nick, Im not forsure on the coupe vs. roady pattern, but I compared the new ones to the old covers and they are exact, is yours diff??
Yeah I have the bushing from a year ago and I went to do them before I sent the seats off, and I guess im just dumb because I could not for the life of me get the track out of the way to get the bigger bolt out of the "bushing carrier" I either had them adjuted wrong when I pulled them out or my seats are diff then the ones posted about or im a dumbass... and with my luck there is no way im hitting that 20pin connector under my seat with 12v , the way my luck goes Ill blow something to bits lol
My passenger seat has all of about 5 a$$ miles in it( no pretty girl to ride with me) so I know it will be ok
So i know i will have to do the drivers seat in the near fiuture but I agree now really is the best time for it but I have run the razors edge enough this week with my luck:)

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
installed and all is good, whewwwwwwwww ,, I still need to do a airbag reset but hopefully no biggy there
Here are pics of them installed:) and one of the old sticky skin
damn i am happy, so happy Im listening to tarzan boy the song( yeah i know)
The drivers side a$$ piece is ever so slightly "loose" but so has all the z3s I have seen so Im not really worried about it, the pic makes it look looser then it really is

Attachments

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Nice results Max. Looks VERY good!

What's with the seat bushings? Do they all have problems (haven't noticed any probs with mine yet). Yeah, I'm too lazy to do a search right now.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,
Nick, actually your seat bottom is a better design, that center line stich should keep the bottom nice and tight
Bob, the bushing are a fix for the seat that start to rock back and forth from work stock rummber bushings

·
1,421 Posts
the shoulders on your seats came out better than mine. they used more padding on the recover and some there are some wrinkles in that area...yours came out looking very stock. count yourself lucky, these seats are supposed to be especially tough for upholsterers to work with :)

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think they really did well, and yes i bet these are hard as hell to do, I was worried seams would be off or not where they should be, the leather is soft so I hope it will wear well, if you see a guy on the news standing outside his z getting arrested wearing nothing but ****** tightys you know i was only thinking of keeping my seats from getting worn

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Max, great looking seats (m)

Glad to hear that they turned out great. Is the leather BMW's? or someone elses?
They look killer! :thumbup:

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The interior shop got the leather for me, I was going to go with spinneybeck from leathez but my concern came if the shop ran into a problem or if something went wrong they could blame the leather and then i would be screwed, now after dealing with the shop I would not be worried about bringing my own leather

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
01silber said:
Yeah I think they really did well, and yes i bet these are hard as hell to do, I was worried seams would be off or not where they should be, the leather is soft so I hope it will wear well, if you see a guy on the news standing outside his z getting arrested wearing nothing but ****** tightys you know i was only thinking of keeping my seats from getting worn
Yep, that's exactly what I was afraid of :yikes:

Seats look great Max, just don't be dropping french-fries on them :angel:

·
358 Posts
Awesome. I'm very excited for you! They came out perfect. Your guy did a better job than mine with the shoulder blade divot area. I've got a few small wrinkles there (both seats).

I'm really glad you decided to go for it. I know its a little stressful to go through, but it's well worth it. Good move. :thumbup:

·
358 Posts
Oh.. P.S.

My .02 .. no more leatherique. :)

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
TurnAround said:
Oh.. P.S.

My .02 .. no more leatherique. :)
Well, what are we supposed to use anyways?

·
358 Posts
Mpire said:
Well, what are we supposed to use anyways?
Megiuars Medallion Premium Leather Conditioner is the only product I've found that keeps the leather's finish in factory condition. It has no sheen to it. It provides a soft, smooth, "dry", matte flat finish. It has mild cleaning abilities, and, shows no signs of being vulnerable to "over conditioning / use" issues.

I've tried lots of different conditioners on test swathes of new leather. Meguiars MP is the high performer for finish and feel. Note, that Meguiars makes several other lower end "auto store" leather conditioners. These are junk. The key words are "Medallion Premium", from their pro line. I've only been able to find it available on their website.

It has minimal ability to resurect older leather that has been treated with other conditioners that have left a sheen or shine.

Leather conditioners are a bit like car wax choices. Can be a touchy subject at times. My suggestion for folks is to do their own tests on new pieces of leather (never before conditioned), or inconspicuous test areas of their seats.. and make their own determination. Keeping in mind though.. that once your leather has a sheen or shine to it from other products, the test results are only partially useful. New leather is the best way to test.

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=M-96&store=%

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a update, this new leather is holding up awesome compared to the factory leather
Its strange because the new stuff is so much softer then the factory but seems more durable
I remeber JonM or AndyM saying that in most cases replacement even bmw is better then the actual factory installed, It would seem so here
I dont have the feeling that this will scuff or mar easily but yet is soft to the touch:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts