BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
That's where I purchased the top I installed. AutoTopsDirect is a distributor for Sierra Tops & Seat Covers who manufactures the tops they sell. If you have an Amazon account you can buy from them through Amazon and get the Amazon buyer protection if you want a bit of additional assurance.

https://www.amazon.com/Convertible-...1468256394&sr=8-5&keywords=z4+convertible+top

Top is as good a quality as the OEM in my opinion. It's been on about 7 months now with no issues.

·
Registered
376 Posts
z4 soft top replacement.

How long did it take to replace the top?

I've got a hole developing in mine; rub point when it folds (2007 3.0si).

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
The whole project took me two weekends with some hours in the evenings in between, but I also replaced both lift cylinders and worked out relocating the pump to the trunk area. I've seen a DIY where they replaced the top canvas without removing the top assembly from the car. I believe one could work through that in a weekend. I'll try to find that and post it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My window had been catching on the ledge right behind the seats but always managed to pop itself out and close properly... Until Thursday when it got stuck and the motor pulled on it until it shattered.

I am interested in this thread and will be buying a top today. Insurance won't cover it due to mechanical failure

Where is the best place to get one? Autotops direct seems legit. Any others to look into?

Any thoughts on the shelf that my window gets caught upon?

Sorry xjav if I have hijacked your thread... I can start a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem, you can use it as you wish.
Finally I ordered new top from TopsOnline.com. It seems that all these suppliers use the same source, probably Sierra. The only decision making factor for me was cost of shipping, because I need to have it shipped to Czech Republic.
I expect to have it delivered within 10 days and than I will try to change it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get Derek's .PDF. He just sent it to me. I read the whole thing and it gives me the sense I can replace it myself quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read it as well, but still now sure I can make it on my own. I also googled for some video tutorial, but have not found any

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I read it as well, but still now sure I can make it on my own. I also googled for some video tutorial, but have not found any
I did a lot of searching myself before I did my top and never found one. I didn't find the Sierra PDF until after I had my top installed. I used the BMW factory TIS for most of the guidance. There's a copy hosted on a Russian BMW enthusiast club site, and Google translate does a decent job of getting it into usable English.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://tis.bmwcats.com/&sandbox=1

·
Registered
138 Posts
Once everything was snugged up the seals aligned tightly and no cutting is required. The bow was sooooo incrediblybtime consuming. Probably 80%+ of the time I spent was in dealing with it.

Looking really good so far!

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Once everything was snugged up the seals aligned tightly and no cutting is required. The bow was sooooo incrediblybtime consuming. Probably 80%+ of the time I spent was in dealing with it.

Looking really good so far!
Congrats! :clap:

That rear bow is really the only difficult part. It seems like the top isn't cut right or isn't going to fit, and then you get it lined up and it finally goes together. I had a bunch of clamps to hold things in place which helped immensely.

On mine I had to help the motor get the top fully up the first couple weeks, but then it got stretched a bit with use and now it's perfect.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks!

The whole project took me two weekends with some hours in the evenings in between, but I also replaced both lift cylinders and worked out relocating the pump to the trunk area. I've seen a DIY where they replaced the top canvas without removing the top assembly from the car. I believe one could work through that in a weekend. I'll try to find that and post it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought new soft top from topsonline.com and asked my local dealership for replacement. Unfortunately new soft top does not fit....rear leak which is going to aluminium profile (C profile) is 1-2 mm bigger. Anyone having simillar issue?

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I bought new soft top from topsonline.com and asked my local dealership for replacement. Unfortunately new soft top does not fit....rear leak which is going to aluminium profile (C profile) is 1-2 mm bigger. Anyone having simillar issue?
I got mine through Autotops Direct and it was manufactured by Sierra Tops. No fit issues at all.

Post some photos of the area that's a fit issue and maybe I can provide some guidance....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately I have no pictures, I let the guys in BMW service to do it. But it was a plastic tape at rear part of the top which is normally inserted in aluminum C profile. It is approx 2 cm wide and plastic was some 2mm wider so it was not possible to insert it without slight cut. Normally I would expect to have it right size...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts