Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, wanted your quick input. I have a 04***8217; X3 and we***8217;ve had a few issues with it that***8217;s are fix. As I am a broke college student that loves his car, I wanted to know if there***8217;s stuff I can do to save gas? (Everyone body hates spending 50 bucks on gas) I***8217;ve thought about more efficient plugs and I wanted to check with what you recommend. My fear is to lose instantaneous power for better mileage. I wanted to get something that does not lose power or instant power, AND save gas or be more efficient. Please let me know if there***8217;s anything else I can also do? Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
New proper plugs will not affect your power - not sure where you got that info from. The correct plugs will actually provide a better performance feel.

No such thing as more efficient plugs either only the correct type for you car and model. What’s the mileage on the car?

Depending on mileage the following would help with fuel savings. Cheapest to most expensive parts.

Air filter, plugs, fuel filter, coils.

Any check engine lights or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
107 Posts
The stock plugs are about the best you can get. In general, plugs aren't going to provide you with better responsiveness or mpg unless your current plugs have deteriorated. As long as the plugs are sparking correctly and allowing the fuel/air mixture to ignite fully, the only changes you'd get would have to come from a change to the computer mapping of fuel/air mix/amount or timing changes or mechanically you could modify the intake and/or exhaust. None of these would be worth the effort. You're not going to find a $5 modification that gets you 40 mpg.

The absolute best way to get the most mpg out of any vehicle is the egg approach. Drive like you have an egg between your foot and the pedal. Slow acceleration, planned braking, etc. I ran an extended test in my 2008 Tacoma years ago and drove several months normally, tracking the mpg obsessively. Then I drove another few months like a grandma scared of speed. Gained about 25% mpg. It's really the only solution but one that might be difficult for a college student to embrace. It's worth it though. Savings in speeding tickets is also a nice bonus (spoken from experience).

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Ensure the car is tuned up with not codes (either illuminating a dash light or hidden soft codes). Magic spark plugs or other fuel savers are money wasting snake oil. Other than that:

-overinflate the tires by 5-10 psi. ride will suffer.

The rest is re-calibrating the simian behind the wheel.

-don't use the brakes to control vehicle speed or every time a bird flies in front of you. brakes should only be used to avoid imminently hitting something. unnecessary use of brakes wastes energy.
-apply steady throttle both when cruising, and accelerating. jabbing throttle wastes fuel. jackrabbit starts waste fuel. Seemingly contrary, slow lethargic acceleration into traffic also wastes more fuel than deliberate, but not "floored", acceleration into traffic.
-use cruise control whenever possible. keep vehicle speed below 70.
-stop letting the vehicle warm up. Start it, wait a few seconds for the idle to smooth, then drive but don't get out of 2nd gear for a few minutes. When cold, the engine is running pig rich and all that fuel is diluting your oil, whose flow rate is also at a minimum. engines should be warmed up with a light load. avoid driving in cold weather as much as you can.
-ensure all drivetrain fluids are fresh and full synthetic, all 4 wheels aligned properly, and no brakes are dragging.

All this amounts to mere cents per mile, which is far less than the yearly cost of keeping a 15 yr old BMW functioning properly. Penny wise and pound foolish is the phrase...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 144,000 on it now. I have a high end reusable air filter, and 2 new coils on it as well. MPG is around 14-15 and I'm driving like a gam already. trying to save those extra cents.

New proper plugs will not affect your power - not sure where you got that info from. The correct plugs will actually provide a better performance feel.

No such thing as more efficient plugs either only the correct type for you car and model. What’s the mileage on the car?

Depending on mileage the following would help with fuel savings. Cheapest to most expensive parts.

Air filter, plugs, fuel filter, coils.

Any check engine lights or anything?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have 144,000 on it now. I have a high end reusable air filter, and 2 new coils on it as well. MPG is around 14-15 and I'm driving like a gam already. trying to save those extra cents.
That sounds like an awful mileage and you should be getting more than that. My car has approx. the same as your's on it, 143k mine is a 6speed manual. Being in Canada my computer tells me 12.1L/100 that is mostly city driving which works out to 19MPG.

If I were to hit the highway I can get it down to 9-10L/100km = 23-26MPG. I use supreme fuel, which is is 91 octane.

If you don't know how old your spark plugs are, I'd start with those. If their original their overdue. Get the proper type of plugs in there. The air filter I'd be careful, if its one of those oiled ones get rid of it asap it will foul your MAF. El-Cheapo Mann Filter will do, $15.

If you can DIY, pull our VANOS solenoids and Vanos Check Valves, clean them out. That's basically free if you can get your hands on brake cleaner. What year is your X3? 04-06? If so, you have a IAC, pull that also and clean it. If its 07+ you won't have this.

And don't buy anything from the dealer.

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Take that garbage filter and throw it as far as you can. Wasting money on it was your first mistake. If oiled, the MAFs hate them, driveability, mileage and longevity suffers. If not oiled, they let in too much debris, scoring your cylinders, and all of the above suffers. Even if oiled, they let in too much crap. They're "Hi-FLOW" because they don't filter as well. Flowing more air equals more fuel through the injectors, so that filter alone is part of why your mileage sucks. Sell it to BimmurBrothor on here, he loves them.

Why 2 coils? You need all 6, because you are probably on original plugs and the coils have reach their end of life. Get four more (hopefully you got either Bosch or Delphi, so get the same brand)... if you got some garbage coil of Amazon, also sell the 2 and buy 6 of the real deals. In a pinch, buy 6 from Autozone... they'll sh!t the bed far sooner than the OEM coils, but at least they have lifetime warranty and you'll never have to buy another coil again. Get 6 NGK spark plugs, from an online supplier such as ECS, FCPEuro, Bavauto or Pelican Parts. FCP has lifetime guarantee.

Here... even found what you need for ya:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-ignition-service-kit-12138616153kt3

If you can't afford to do the job right, you'll have to afford the consequences of doing the job wrong.

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Keep your oil, air and oil filter(s), idel control valve, throttle body, disa valve clean and maf sensor clean. Yes...get those new plugs...but they must be the correct plugs...go to the NGK site...supply the car's info and you'll get a list of appropriate plugs that fit your car. The longer lasting plugs will cost the most...your choice. Much has been said here, most I agree with... some misapplied. Never the last it you car and you make your own and final decision...you are smart in seeking out counsel but again, only you can judge what's right for you.***x1f60e;

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
The DISA problem isn’t cleanliness but that its axle pin wears out its holes and the valve dances around. If your engine idles and runs smooth don’t worry about it right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts