BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
G20 3 Series interior

Our photographers also snagged some interior images, and the cabin appears similar to the current 3 Series. The center console retains the current model's layout, though the HVAC controls appear to have grown in size and have fewer buttons.
Not sure if Tim had posted these elsewhere or not. I found this on Autoblog, and this is the clearest look yet I have seen of the G20 interior. I'm a bit disappointed because it looks cheap and likely won't compete well with the A4 or C Class. :cry:

G20 next gen 3 series

Up front, the new 3 Series takes styling cues from the latest BMW 7 Series with rounded headlights that flow into the car's oval kidney grilles. The rear of the prototype still has protruding round taillights that were spotted on a previous prototype. They likely won't be used in the final design.

As previously reported, the next-gen 3 Series is expected to have a longer wheelbase and be wider than the current model. Despite growing in size, lightweight materials will help the upcoming sedan cut weight.
See more new G20 Spy shots!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,793 Posts
I wouldn't worry. It's way too early to make any judgements about the G20 interior based on what is seen in spy shots. I can tell for sure that iDrive screen isn't what will be in the actual car. I think the new 7er and the upcoming 5er will yield much better clues to what the G20 interior will look like. BMW isn't designing in a vacuum. They're well aware of what their competition is doing. I expect the G20 interior will be along the lines of the new B9 A4.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think the new 7er and the upcoming 5er will yield much better clues to what the G20 interior will look like. BMW isn't designing in a vacuum. They're well aware of what their competition is doing.
Fully agree.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I wouldn't worry. It's way too early to make any judgements about the G20 interior based on what is seen in spy shots. I can tell for sure that iDrive screen isn't what will be in the actual car. I think the new 7er and the upcoming 5er will yield much better clues to what the G20 interior will look like. BMW isn't designing in a vacuum. They're well aware of what their competition is doing. I expect the G20 interior will be along the lines of the new B9 A4.
The 5 and 7 seem to be similar, but it's 1, 2, 3, 4 that share similar parts.

For me, the F3x's interior design is not a problem. I could live with my current interior forever--it's simple and functional. Most of the enhanced functionality will come through software anyway, so minor tweaks to the interior (as there are to the instrument cluster) are probably enough.

What I don't like is the way it's been put together--too many rattles and squeaks.

Also, there is very poor insulation. When the stereo is playing even at very low volumes, it can be heard when standing outside the car with all the windows and doors closed. I don't remember that being the case with my E46 (or any other car that I have owned).

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
What is with that thing sticking out and up between the exhaust pipes? I hope THAT doesn't make it to the production, it looks awful! :D

These Germans ... when will someone tell them that the tow hook doesn't belong on a 3 series BMW and especially so on a 340i. Why? Because luxury! And because racecar! :bigpimp:

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
The interior is pieced together so it really doesn't show much. What worries me is that the 3 Series is again getting longer and wider. It's already a large car, and it is getting bigger still. At that point why get a 5 Series when a 3 has plenty of room?

I assume the next 1 and 2 Series will also be larger and basically take the place of the old 3 series.

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts
I am a little disappointed so far.

The car looks bigger and the interior appears to be identical. It better be a great drivers car, otherwise I will consider other brands.

Will the 3 be only built in Mexico? Or will BMW build the 3 in Germany for Euro delivery customers?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The cluster looks like it's straight out of an Accord/CR-V with the shape of that speedometer.

IMO, the cluster is the only part of the F30 that needs any improvement to compete in today's market. The gauges look very outdated, everything else is fine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I imagine that the instrument cluster is a screen now, judging by the reflections.

...More importantly though, can we talk about the fact that the hazard lights button is now protruding out between the two air vents like a... nevermind.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I imagine that the instrument cluster is a screen now, judging by the reflections.

...More importantly though, can we talk about the fact that the hazard lights button is now protruding out between the two air vents like a... nevermind.
That looks like a bolt-on. It'll probably be cleaned up. Otherwise you're missing the temp control.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,793 Posts
I am a little disappointed so far.

The car looks bigger and the interior appears to be identical. It better be a great drivers car, otherwise I will consider other brands.

Will the 3 be only built in Mexico? Or will BMW build the 3 in Germany for Euro delivery customers?
The 3er will not only be built in Mexico.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I assume the next 1 and 2 Series will also be larger and basically take the place of the old 3 series.
- But ... I really don't think that ...

= You don't think what? Your own prejudice prevents you from seeing the greatness.

- No, I meant I really don't think you can compare the two because ...

= Because what? Because you are caught in this "enthusiats" stupidity and can't recognize the greatness when you see it!

- But no, the thing is ...

= Thing is what? Too heavy? Too long? Too GOOD for enthusiats?

- No, it is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE you fooken moron!

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
The Mercedes C class is built in Germany and the U.S. However, it is not available for European Delivery.

BMW could go both ways. Have European Delivery and deliver German made 3 series cars for Canadian and US customers or make it so you cannot get a 3 series by European delivery.

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts
The Mercedes C class is built in Germany and the U.S. However, it is not available for European Delivery.

BMW could go both ways. Have European Delivery and deliver German made 3 series cars for Canadian and US customers or make it so you cannot get a 3 series by European delivery.
The thing is Mercedes was not built in America on the reputation of a C class. In fact, it was a brand that already had a reputation for luxury and then decided to compete on the BMW turf by offering the C class.

If BMW keeps cutting the balls out of the car that brung it (I.e. 3 series) they will pay the price. The 7 series isn't really a great S class competitor, the 5er has already been largely neutered. They don't offer a 2 GC or sedan as of yet.

They could do irreparable harm to the brand. The kind that sees people uninterested in their not quite luxurious not quite sporty bloated sedans.

Heck why not get an Acura or Lexus if that's what you're after. Especially if you live in an area where RWD is a bad thing. (I.e. I don't want my wife driving in snow in RWD cars)....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just noticed something, this is the same dashboard as the current F30, they must be reusing it for this test mule. Looks like they just swapped out the AC controls and the instrument cluster. Take a closer look and compare it to the first photo.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The interior is pieced together so it really doesn't show much. What worries me is that the 3 Series is again getting longer and wider. It's already a large car, and it is getting bigger still. At that point why get a 5 Series when a 3 has plenty of room?

I agree. It is too big already. I preferred the size of E91, which was perfect IMO. And I am 6'2".

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just noticed something, this is the same dashboard as the current F30, they must be reusing it for this test mule. Looks like they just swapped out the AC controls and the instrument cluster. Take a closer look and compare it to the first photo.
Nah, that's just what BMW does lol. Their interiors never change much

1 - 20 of 79 Posts