BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel had some serious sun damage so I decided to order a new wheel. I just received this on Saturday and installed it on Sunday. It only took about 45 minutes to install from start to finish. The only special tool needed is a torque wrench to properly tighten the wheel nut.

Major improvement in feel from my sun-damaged stock wheel. The cost was $285 plus shipping from Germany (total $340) and no need to return the stock wheel like some other vendors require. Here's an ebay link to one in alcantara from the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item335d913059

The seller (tainik) was very responsive to e-mailed questions and I received the item from Germany in just over three weeks. I'm very pleased with the wheel and the seller. Here's a couple of quick pics so you can get an idea how this looks. I love the way it looks and I really love the thicker profile.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the part number for your wheel? Looks great!l
If you're asking for the stock wheel part number, mine was 32342229103. I e-mailed the seller to confirm I was getting the right wheel since he had several models available at the time I placed my order. He quickly e-mailed back the wheel he would send had the same part number. It was a direct swap and took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice touch with m colour stitching........why put old style wheel on facelift model?
Not sure I understand your question. The new wheel is the exact same part number as the one that came off. It's just been recovered with new leather.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Very nice. Does the vendor use leather, and I will be curious how it holds up, but the price sure is attractive! ;)

Alcantara is a cool option as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice. Does the vendor use leather, and I will be curious how it holds up, but the price sure is attractive! ;)

Alcantara is a cool option as well.
It is leather and appears to be of high quality. We'll see how it holds up in the FL sun! I'm not sure about alcantara for a steering wheel. I've seen several low mileage M3s with wheels that looked like they were 20 years old. I think I'll stick with old fashioned leather.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Looks good but some carbon fiber would really look nice. Just my .02

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a non sport wheel on my car and would love a sport wheel. my only question is how much would it cost to get an airbag and an airbag cover for this unit?
Keep checking the for sale forums and ebay. I was watching this wheel / airbag before deciding to buy the new wheel since I already had the airbag. Winning bid was $252.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300443341261

It wasn't hard to locate a wheel with airbag in this price range. Most had worn wheels but you'll be replacing that anyway. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
It is leather and appears to be of high quality. We'll see how it holds up in the FL sun! I'm not sure about alcantara for a steering wheel. I've seen several low mileage M3s with wheels that looked like they were 20 years old. I think I'll stick with old fashioned leather.
Yes, alcantara looks nice, but is not terribly durable material. Great for headliners and dashboard. I have a Recaro office chair with alcantara side bolsters (fabric center panels) and seems to be wearing well...I use it daily for about four years now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.