BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the car in today to solve my dashboard warning light jackpot issue. They replaced the throttle housing, part number 13-54-7-502-445. The car is back to normal and I had a lot of fun getting to rev the engine like normal this afternoon with the EML off. :)

However, when I got home this evening I noticed the smallest of dings in the rear passenger side door. .:bawling:

I didn't far park and I guess that's what you get when you take your chances. I'll have to get a paintless dent removal person to get rid of it. The paint looks OK. Is it the curse?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
webguy330i said:
It's the curse!!! RUN!! :yikes: :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

Sorry to hear man, at least you have a PDR guy locally (I don't!).
Thanks for the sympathy. Luckily for a small population area there are a good assortment fo PDC options. My dealership has a guy who will do it there under their supervision while you wait. He's pretty cheap too.

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
I posted last week that I had the exact same problem.. The thing is, on Monday I was driving home from work and my accelerator just STOPPED WORKING. No power anymore. Well, very little.. it just held at about 1500 rpm, without me pressing the throttle.. and it fluctuated rapidly between about 1500 - 2500 rpm if I gave it any gas. It wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Needless to say, I called BMW Roadside Assistance and had it towed to my service center (that had already ordered the part because I brought the car in last week for them to check out) so they could fix it.

Of course, the wrong part came in. Fine, they'll order it for the next day. Of course, the next day they tell me that BMWNA again superceded their request for a different part and sent them the SAME WRONG PART. And of course, I'm sitting there wondering how the hell I was going to get home and back to work, and of course get to my gig at the House of Blues that night. Wonderful. There's only so many times you can ask your roommate for a ride, you know?

That's the day I got my Dodge Neon loaner car. I'll tell you, if that car's sole purpose was to make me appreciate my bimmer, it succeeded! Of course, it did get me home that day and back to Boston the next day.. but ACK! So horrible (the pain.. the pain...)

So, they finally got the right part in, fixed it all up, and gave me my car back.

I don't remember the part, It wasn't the part that bol suggested, but more like the actual accelerator pedal or housing. (I'll have to check the paperwork)

One thing to note: BMW Roadside Assistance is pretty cool, but the woman on the other end of the phone couldn't determine what town I was in from my description of where I was stuck, and apparently they need a zip code to know which towing companies to call... so it took about 45 minutes before I even got a tow company on the line. UGH. I bet if I had nav, it would've taken about 5 minutes. Of course, then I wouldn't have an in-dash CD player for the 99.999% of the time I don't need to be towed.. heh

- Cowboy

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles Cowboy. I have to admit I was concerned myself driving around with a fly by wire throttle that was going bad. Mine was a tad skittish or jumpy at low rpm's but it never just stopped working, luckily I guess. Do I hear a recall coming?:eeps:

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Erratic tach speed at 35 MPH

Sorry to hear of your problems. Happy that your dealers fixed them.

When I leave my home in the AM and set the cruise on 35 in a 30 MPH zone that is well patrolled the tack fluctuates up and down at abouit a 700 RPM thing.

Do you suppose this could be the onset of similar problem, and do you advise I notify my tech of this?

This and the lack of audio adjustment on the Nav unit are the only problems I have experienced in the almost 2 months I have had the car. It has about 2300 miles and sure is a honey in all respects. My dealer is small and very cooperative you know, one of these guys that you just walk back in the service department and look for your favorite tech amongst the ten or so that are working.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Erratic tach speed at 35 MPH

rwebbe said:

When I leave my home in the AM and set the cruise on 35 in a 30 MPH zone that is well patrolled the tack fluctuates up and down at abouit a 700 RPM thing.

Do you suppose this could be the onset of similar problem, and do you advise I notify my tech of this?

This and the lack of audio adjustment on the Nav unit are the only problems I have experienced in the almost 2 months I have had the car. It has about 2300 miles and sure is a honey in all respects. My dealer is small and very cooperative you know, one of these guys that you just walk back in the service department and look for your favorite tech amongst the ten or so that are working.
I wouldn't worry about reporting anything until the car's computer system tells you there is a problem. You'll get warning lights on the dash and the computer will record a fault code for them to check out.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Erratic tach speed at 35 MPH

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
For Topaz Throttle House etc.

Hey Topaz,

I hope to ne in Vermont this fall in I think Morrisville. Glad to hear there is a cooperative dealer in the State, as I hope I can drive it from Florida. Lot of places I want to go in Maine also and a plane would be a pain.

Thanks for your advice. I am not worried jusy want to be ready.:angel:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: For Topaz Throttle House etc.

rwebbe said:
Hey Topaz,

I hope to ne in Vermont this fall in I think Morrisville. Glad to hear there is a cooperative dealer in the State, as I hope I can drive it from Florida. Lot of places I want to go in Maine also and a plane would be a pain.

Thanks for your advice. I am not worried jusy want to be ready.:angel:
If you are in Vermont and need dealership assistance the place you can go is The Automaster in Shelburne, VT. They are the only BMW dealership in the state but they are the best dealership I've dealt with for any make of car period. I'm on my third BMW I've leased through them. If you see me on the road, wave.:thumb:

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
rwebbe, believe me - if what happened to me happens to you, you will DEFINITELY know what I'm talking about, and you will take it to your dealer because the car becomes totally undrivable... and this of course is preceeded by the Brake, DSC, ABS, EML, and Service Engine Soon lights coming on.

BTW Topaz330xi, the damn accelerator DID IT AGAIN! After they "fixed" it. It turns out that the part bol posted about, that I *specifically* told them about, was the part that needed to be replaced. So, they ordered the part, and my car is in the shop AGAIN waiting for it.

My car has been in the shop now for about 5 days over a 2-week period. Still, at least I have a 325 loaner ('02 sedan, no SP, no PP, ugh) instead of that horrible Dodge Neon.

I can't wait until they FIX this problem. I miss my car.

[email protected]#$

- Cowboy

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cowboy said:

BTW Topaz330xi, the damn accelerator DID IT AGAIN! After they "fixed" it. It turns out that the part bol posted about, that I *specifically* told them about, was the part that needed to be replaced. So, they ordered the part, and my car is in the shop AGAIN waiting for it.

My car has been in the shop now for about 5 days over a 2-week period. Still, at least I have a 325 loaner ('02 sedan, no SP, no PP, ugh) instead of that horrible Dodge Neon.

I can't wait until they FIX this problem. I miss my car.

[email protected]#$

- Cowboy
Sorry to hear about that. I think that they have a throttle design issue that will hopefully get addressed. There have been a lot of complaints about the sticky feel and now all of these reports about the warning lights and replacement. Mine's still fine, knock on wood.

I hear you about the Neon. I had a Suzuki for about a week once while they diagnosed and worked on a tricky problem with my previous E36. Really made me appreciate my car when I got it back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts