BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems people are always looking for good tires. My PZero Rossos disappeared out back in 12k mi, and I was never too crazy about them. This time, I thought I'd try something new. The Yokohama AVS ES100 was released just recently; so new that TireRack still doesn't have any info on their Specs page for it.

It evidently is a replacement for the rather old AVS Intermediate, and is marketed in some parts of the world as the 'DNA GP.' Its UTQG is 280 AA A, so hopefully I'll get a bit more life out of these than the PZeros without sacrificing too much performance. That still remains to be seen.

It has a squarer shoulder and a slightly wider sidewall profile than the PZeros, so the same 235/40/18 on the 18x8.5 wheels I have in rear provide about the same curb rash protection as the PZeros on 18x8 I still have in front.

They're not broken in yet (70miles since getting em mounted at lunchtime today) so I won't know how good they are for a little while, but so far, it seems to ride well and be pretty quiet. More to come in a thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Huh? 12k and your Pzeros are gone???:eek:

3 AutoXs, 1 Buttonwillow, 15k+ later, mine still going. Though the sides have worn (or burnt) quite a bit.

Looking forward to your review. Btw, there is an AutoX at Irwindale, Sept 21. Think you can test out the new tires there? :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

3 AutoXs, 1 Buttonwillow, 15k+ later, mine still going. Though the sides have worn (or burnt) quite a bit.

Looking forward to your review. Btw, there is an AutoX at Irwindale, Sept 21. Think you can test out the new tires there? :p
My rear S-03s are almost gone with less than 8K :dunno: They should be bald soon. Fronts look better, but still don't pass the penny test....

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, the middles of the rear tires were down to the wear bars. I do some canyon carving on a pretty regular basis but 0 track or auto-x time, and no burnouts or anything either.

But the fronts are still at least 50%. :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Kaz said:
Oh yeah, the middles of the rear tires were down to the wear bars. I do some canyon carving on a pretty regular basis but 0 track or auto-x time, and no burnouts or anything either.

Taken today, 7800 miles :dunno:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Nate: You autoX/track a lot more than we do right? But wearing out at 8k is still a bit scarry.

Kaz: I hear ya...

Hmm...maybe my Michelins had some special ALPINA treatment. :lmao: :lmao: I will probably take some pics of mine later today too.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Kaz said:

I'm not sure if there's any scientific proof behind this, but I think heavier cars tend to wear through tires faster?

My Z3 had Z rated Michelins for 30,000+ miles before needing replacement. That car weighed in at about 2,800 lbs. The 323Ci needed new tires at 20,000 miles, and it weighed in at about 3,200 lbs. My driving style hasn't really changed all that much.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
The HACK said:

I'm not sure if there's any scientific proof behind this, but I think heavier cars tend to wear through tires faster?

My Z3 had Z rated Michelins for 30,000+ miles before needing replacement. That car weighed in at about 2,800 lbs. The 323Ci needed new tires at 20,000 miles, and it weighed in at about 3,200 lbs. My driving style hasn't really changed all that much.
Probably true, also the 323 has a lot more power

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Nate: You autoX/track a lot more than we do right? But wearing out at 8k is still a bit scarry.

Hmm...maybe my Michelins had some special ALPINA treatment. :lmao: :lmao: I will probably take some pics of mine later today too.
Not that much more :dunno:

Although, I do mostly city driving...

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My old Mitsubishi weighed ~3100lb and I always got at least 25k, although I could do F/R rotation on it, and it wore the fronts first (FWD).

I think the PZeros just wear poorly.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
What was the Mitsu wearing?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The HACK said:
What was the Mitsu wearing?
GY Eagle GA (Stock)
Dunlop D40M2
Pirelli P700z
Firestone SZ50
Dunlop SP8000
Bridgestone RE71
Bridgestone RE730

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:

Vince, I burned through my Michelin Pilots in about 14k, 8 or 9 track days, two autocrosses and lots of aggressive canyon driving! :D I am not surprised Kaz's tires did not last that long, Pirellis are not famous for lasting treadwear.

·
10,856 Posts
People who always leave DSC on while they drive aggressively also get much better tire wear. I drove one of my favorite roads a few days ago with DSC on... Hardly any change at all in my tires. I usually manage to "feather" the tread a fair bit there.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run with DSC on about 98% of the time. In my case, I think the fact that my rear sways are set to full stiff might promote further rear tire wear.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ahh... :)

And I drive like an old grandma in LA too.:eek: Think I will be knocking on TireRack's door after another track and 2 AutoXs? :D

Btw, got your message about SpeedVentures. Very tempting...

Raffi said:

Vince, I burned through my Michelin Pilots in about 14k, 8 or 9 track days, two autocrosses and lots of aggressive canyon driving! :D I am not surprised Kaz's tires did not last that long, Pirellis are not famous for lasting treadwear.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Ahh... :)

And I drive like an old grandma in LA too.:eek: Think I will be knocking on TireRack's door after another track and 2 AutoXs? :D

Btw, got your message about SpeedVentures. Very tempting...

Vince,

You have to convince yourself that you ARE driving an Alpina and push the tires harder :D You'll probably need new tires soon too... Congrats :thumbup:

Let me know about Speed Ventures, I will most likely do it. Cheap and fun. Are you going to the CCC school at Buttonwillow?

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
I'm with you Kaz. My original tire rack order of Sumi's HTR ZII's were on back order and found out today that it would be another two weeks to get here.:cry:

So surfing on their website, I looked into the ES100 and they look pretty good and were only $5 a tire more than the Sumi's. My tires are basically bald and decided to try them out. Hopefully, they'll be here by Friday at the local installer.

Plus they're giving away a cool remote control Porche 911. :bigpimp:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Ugh. Not that I'm bitter or anything, but Yokohama are the ones that complained to the BMWCCA L.A. board and raised a fury over there about the legitimacy of my solicitations. :dunno:

If they didn't want to send me a set of tires to test, fine...I'm okay with that. Tires are expensive. I don't know why they had to complain to BMWCCA L.A about though, I stated very clearly in my communications my title and intent, and I even said nicely that the tires will be returned as soon as the evaluation periods are over.

My experience with Yokohama's hasn't been exactly stellar either...My first set of Yoko's lasted all of 20,000 miles on a low power, Acura Integra. And those were H rated all season tires. And how did I find out it's time to replace them? One of the sidewalls failed on an emergency highway lane change manuever and nearly took out 4 lifes along with the failure. My car was heading for about a 15 feet drop at ~60mph when I finally wrangled the steering wheel back and planted my car into some icy plants along the side of the highway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts