BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
sk328xi
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what tires would you buy for your 328 x drive ??? need advice I am currently running continental all season RFT, they seem very decent, so i am wondering should i just stay with contis or is there anything else better out there, NOT considering bridgestones I think they suck. anyway please help !!! I want to replace all 4 tires because they are getting worn, about 20,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
go to tire rack they have reviews

go to tire rack they have reviews.
you can also sort the reviews buy car type.
If you don't want RFT's again Continental DWS are very popular.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The OEM Continental ContiProContact SSRs are pretty good if you're looking for a Run-Flat all-season. There is also the Pirelli PZero Nero all-season in both non-RF and RF applications.

The Pirelli [email protected] is the OEM fitment for European cars and is a summer tire. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 is also a good summer tire thats available in RF.

Note that Continental will increase its tyre prices in all countries effective 1. May 2011.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I have a secret endorsement deal with Continental and Pirelli. Just kidding.

We have 2 BMWs, an X3 since 2004 and a 325i with the sport package since late 2007. In my experience, the tires I've used from both these companies consistently provide the performance and driving characteristics I want expect from a BMW. Low noise, sticky handling with good feel transmitted to the steering wheel and a progressive breakaway once I drive beyond the limits. Braking in the dry and wet is secure and short. Admittedly I haven't tried Pirellis on the 3er, on the X3 (both M+S from the factory and winter tires) they were superb and had good tread life too.

They've scored well in tests in Germany (summer and winter respectively) as well, and meet the European pass-by road noise standards. Plus, they don't cost a fortune like Michelins.

The reason I noted the Pirelli [email protected] is because that is what comes equipped as standard on European-spec 3ers (not M+S like in the US). Manufacturers test their cars with a certain set of tires and I try not to stray too far from that. The Cinturato is used on the X3 xDrive35i and on my test drive, they rode very well and were quiet.

The 325i came with Bridgestone Potenzas which were.........not nice to say the least. A friend has the standard 325i with Bridgestone Turanzas and they're horrid. I tried Kumho summer tires on my X3 once and regretted cheaping out; at-the-limit handling was tricky and they got noisy as they wore on.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
. A friend has the standard 325i with Bridgestone Turanzas and they're horrid.
If he has the original OEM EL42s, he should have had them replaced per the class action suit. I have the re-formulated version and they aren't bad for a touring all-season - decent ride, good cornering feel, and good snow performane. But they are awfully expensive.

I'd lean toward the (RFT) Conti SSR or (non RFT) DWS.

Tom

·
sk328xi
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tom and azn yes thank you both for the kind replies, i will very seriously consider the contis and the pirellis, and yes tom i too had the crappy potenzas which were indeed replaced under warranty at 11,000 miles, good riddance potenzas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought BF tires, all season, and they are excellent. I would STAY AWAY from fun flat tires. They are too bump and get few mileage on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts