Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the 2nd owner of a 2014 X5 35d with Pirelli run flats and it is time for new tires. These run flats have not given me a problem but then again I only drive 25 miles a day on average. I considered purchasing run flats again but after reading so many negative posts about them I think I have decided to rethink that.

I am looking for an all season tire that handles very well in snow, slush and ice as I live in the northern part of the country and I would like a quiet and comfortable ride.

I am interested in the following tires-

Yokohama YK740 GTX (I think this is a Discount Tire exclusive) Discount Tire suggests but online reviews are mixed

Nitto NT421Q

Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S or A/S Plus

Does anyone have experience with these tires or have any suggestions?
For those that have gone from run flat to non run flat, what type of spare, if any, did you buy?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 are what I replaced the Dunlop Summer runflats with.

I have 20 inch rims, and a staggered setup. The Dunlops were ok, but driving back and forth from Arizona to Wisconsin, I needed All Season tires, and no one makes all season run flats in my size configuration. So I went with the Continental non run flats and the ride and handling are much better.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Does anyone ... have any suggestions?
NOKIAN WR G3 SUV, G4 is now available. Much quieter ride than my CPO OE Stone Bridges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 are what I replaced the Dunlop Summer runflats with.

I have 20 inch rims, and a staggered setup. The Dunlops were ok, but driving back and forth from Arizona to Wisconsin, I needed All Season tires, and no one makes all season run flats in my size configuration. So I went with the Continental non run flats and the ride and handling are much better.

I have the same staggered 20” wheels and went with the above tires. The ride on these rutted Nebraska roads is night and day better. I literally felt the summer performance tires were trying to throw the 5 into oncoming traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
You are in cold snow country. I would suggest to get dedicated winter tire for best performance. Those tires compound is ok to use up to 45 Fahrenheit, you should be able to use them min 6 months a year. If you insist on AS tire for your area stick with Nokian WR as Dug mentioned.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
NOKIAN WR is NOT All Season.

NOKIAN WR G3 is all weather, compound -25°C to +35°C (-13°F to 95°F), with snow / ice siped tread. G4 is now available

·
Registered
38 Posts
continental extreme contact dws 06 are what i replaced the dunlop summer runflats with.

I have 20 inch rims, and a staggered setup. The dunlops were ok, but driving back and forth from arizona to wisconsin, i needed all season tires, and no one makes all season run flats in my size configuration. So i went with the continental non run flats and the ride and handling are much better.
+1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts