BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Tires$$$$$$$

1433 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  pointandgo
I am new to this site so please pardon me if this has been discussed previously.

I recently had to purchase two new tires for my 08' 335XI and spent almost $1000 due to the fact that they can not be rotated. I understand that I will never be able to rotate to the front, as they are staggered, but I would like to be able to rotate between the two rear and two front tires.

The tires that I got (because it was all that they had) were Potenza RFTs.

Does anyone have a good sugestion as to what tires I could purchase that are NOT directional and still RFTs?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Have you checked tirerack.com? It's listings of tires include whether tires are directional or not. There are also some articles about rotating on their website (use the search function.)

IMO, rotating left/right isn't going to help you. BMW's alignment and suspension setup generally wears the inner of the fronts, and the center of the rears. That's not going to change by swapping L/R.
I recently had to purchase two new tires for my 08' 335XI and spent almost $1000 due to the fact that they can not be rotated. I understand that I will never be able to rotate to the front, as they are staggered, but I would like to be able to rotate between the two rear and two front tires.

Does anyone have a good sugestion as to what tires I could purchase that are NOT directional and still RFTs?
where did you go that you paid almost 1K for two tires?

the OEM potenzas are not directional. i dont think the michelins are either. if you notice, they say "OUTSIDE" on the sidewall vs having a rotation arrow. unless you bought a non OE tire, you can rotate them left to right.

rotating left to right wont help for the reasons floydarogers note. rotating left to right can also increase wear as the tire has to wear in the high spots on the blocks to match the new rotation direction
I am new to this site so please pardon me if this has been discussed previously.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a dealer. Next time, use TireRack as they will ship to a local installer and your total price will be significantly less.

Tom
where did you go that you paid almost 1K for two tires?
The tirerack price for a set of Bridgestone RE050A 255/35R18 90Y RFT (or similar) is around $750. The dealer (probably) didn't rip him off too much.:mad:
Sounds like a dealer. Next time, use TireRack as they will ship to a local installer and your total price will be significantly less.
Of course, the OP didn't specify front or rear - and while the rears are $346 each, the fronts are "only" $275 a piece.

I realize my RWD BMW rear tires normally wear out first - but is that also true for the AWD models?

At any rate, these prices, along with the greater possibility of wheel damage, make me even happier with my "small" 17" wheels and tires.

Tom
The tirerack price for a set of Bridgestone RE050A 255/35R18 90Y RFT (or similar) is around $750. The dealer (probably) didn't rip him off too much.:mad:
Just an FYI...I've gotten the dealer to match Discount Tire and Firestone quotes.
? I have a 08 335xi and they have the same tires all round? WHy is yours different? Do you have 18" tires?
I shopped locally & on tirerack as well & got the dealer to match costs. And recieved the Michelin summer rebate.
Just an FYI...I've gotten the dealer to match Discount Tire and Firestone quotes.
The 18" wheel upgrade is a staggered configuration.
? I have a 08 335xi and they have the same tires all round? WHy is yours different? Do you have 18" tires?
+1

it also gives the raised speed limiter and auxillary oil cooler to go with the staggered summer performance tire.

the 335xi with sport but no wheel upgrade get square all seasons, 130mph limiter, and no aux oil cooler.
The 18" wheel upgrade is a staggered configuration.
I hate the eventuality of having to
Buy new tires. I end up buying new tires (about $1000 each set) every 16 months. I think it's a horrible expense. So it's an annual cost of about $1500 on my 335. I really really hate that about this car. What's more is that I hate having to hear "oh you must be driving it hard.. Blah blah blah" no **** Sherlock its an BMW why would I be driving it any other way- none the less it's aggravating. I wish they could produce tires that could sustain my driving.
So buy a civic, or get hard-as-a-rock all season tires.

Yokohama AVIDs are $676/set of 4 (staggered), and have a 560 UTQG rating.

Quit-cher-whining
I hate the eventuality of having to
Buy new tires. I end up buying new tires (about $1000 each set) every 16 months. I think it's a horrible expense. So it's an annual cost of about $1500 on my 335. I really really hate that about this car. What's more is that I hate having to hear "oh you must be driving it hard.. Blah blah blah" no **** Sherlock its an BMW why would I be driving it any other way- none the less it's aggravating. I wish they could produce tires that could sustain my driving.
Is rotating side to side really going to help you with wear patterns?
Yeah, heaven forbid he should come to a BMW chat board looking for help with a feature he doesn't like. :wahwah:

This may have changed, but I thought all season RFTs were not available in a staggered setup?

OP, I had RFTs summer-onlys on my car, which is 225/45 17" at each corner (I don't have ZSP). I rotated frequently, but the wear characteristics were fairly unimpressive. I think that is just the reality with summer tires. You get that nice bit into the road associated with soft rubber, but you don't get more than a year or two out of them.
So buy a civic, or get hard-as-a-rock all season tires.

Yokohama AVIDs are $676/set of 4 (staggered), and have a 560 UTQG rating.

Quit-cher-whining
Kilgore,
After a long wait, the B'Stone RE960AS RFT is available for the 335i Sports Pkg. (18" staggered). These are A/S of course.
Yeah, heaven forbid he should come to a BMW chat board looking for help with a feature he doesn't like. :wahwah:

This may have changed, but I thought all season RFTs were not available in a staggered setup?

OP, I had RFTs summer-onlys on my car, which is 225/45 17" at each corner (I don't have ZSP). I rotated frequently, but the wear characteristics were fairly unimpressive. I think that is just the reality with summer tires. You get that nice bit into the road associated with soft rubber, but you don't get more than a year or two out of them.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.