BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
It is time for new tires on the 05' 330Xi.

I have been looking at the EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=05WR7DWS06XL&fromSurvey=true

Those seem pretty good to me. Has anyone used these tires?
Everybody seems happy with them. The x-Drive crowd especially loves them. I bought some for Frau Putzer's Honda after her Michelin's started having chunks of tread fly off after about 40k miles. DWS06's are one of the few all-season tires that get a U.S. government "AA" traction rating, which measures traction in the wet.

I have DW's on my Chevy, and soon on my 535i. But, we might be donating Frau Putzer's Honda to one of her semi-functional or dysfunctional friends or relatives who live up north. So, I got her DWS06's instead. DW's are lethal in snow, or even below 30F.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For some reason my car has 225/45R17 does anyone know why that might be?

The previous owner installed these tires

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
For some reason my car has 225/45R17 does anyone know why that might be?

The previous owner installed these tires
The link doesn't work.

The base-trim versions of BMW's (not M-Sport, Luxury Line, etc.) generally have smaller diameter wheels (the "17" means 17-inch diameter wheels). higher aspect rations (the "45" means the sidewall height is 45% of tread width) and often the same tread width (the "245" means tread width in millimeters). The "R" means "radial."

You can often "plus-up" tires by going up 10mm in tread width and going down 5% in aspect ratio and have roughly the same outside diameter, without adverse consequences (rubbing, speedometer errors). But, I practice the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
I'll just go with the stock size. There is a reason BMW picked it.
You are WAY overthinking this ! What you currently have is the perfect size for your vehicle. Just leave it alone !

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts
Slow down a second there, Tex. ;)

All-wheel-drive cars indeed had the 205/50R17x7" wheel & tire fitment as original equipment. However, the AWD cars can also accept the 225/45R17x8" fitment that was OE on some RWD variants, for a modest bump in handling performance. When I had my 325xi I upgraded to that RWD size for my summer wheels, keeping the OE set for winter (narrower tires are better in snow). Your car's previous owner may have done the same.

Notice, however, that the wheels are wider (the dimensions I boldfaced above), not just the tires. If the previous owner upgraded to the wider wheels, you should not try to fit the original 205/50 tires on them--they will be a little stretched to fit. That could have a slight adverse effect on the ride quality and the tires' resistance to pothole impacts (very important here in NJ!). Conversely, if the car is still riding on its OE wheels, the slightly wider tires do no harm; you could replace them with either the 225/45 or the original 205/50 size as you see fit.

Before you buy tires, pull a wheel and check the size cast into the back side (usually on one of the spokes). It will be 7Jx17, 8Jx17 or similar. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I could take off the rim I would.

I really like the price and looks of the Continental tires; however, my vendor only has them in the OE size.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts

I really like the price and looks of the Continental tires; however, my vendor only has them in the OE size.
So, screw "your vendor", get them from one of the many online suppliers, and have any tire shop install them for you.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,650 Posts
:dunno: What's stopping you?

Your car has a jack and wheel chock in the trunk, under the floor. There is a lug wrench in the tool kit inside the trunk lid. If you don't have a garage or level, firm pavement at your house/apartment, drive to a supermarket, big-box store or whatever. Park in a remote corner of the lot and get to work. (Do it early in the morning if you're shy.) From the time you park to the time you drive off again, it's not 15 minutes work even if you've never done it before in your life--and if you never have changed a wheel in your life, say so. Plenty of us here are willing to point you in the right direction.

Another option is to stop by a tire shop, Pep Boys or whatever, explain your problem and offer them $20 to R&R a wheel for you.

Another other option is to take a clear, close-up photo of the entire face of your wheel(s)--just the wheel, not the whole car--and post it here. Many of us can identify BMW wheel styles by sight for the model(s) we own and can tell you the style number and dimensions. For the ones we don't recognize right off, there are several on-line photo catalogs that provide the information.

Bottom line: You need to know how the previous owner altered the car from stock if you want to make intelligent, correct choices for its maintenance.

So, screw "your vendor", get them from one of the many online suppliers, and have any tire shop install them for you.
And +1 to this. Any vendor that cannot order the tire you want in the size you need (assuming it exists) is one you don't need to patronize.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
:dunno: What's stopping you?

Your car has a jack and wheel chock in the trunk, under the floor. There is a lug wrench in the tool kit inside the trunk lid. If you don't have a garage or level, firm pavement at your house/apartment, drive to a supermarket, big-box store or whatever.
Did you happen to notice this guy doesn't stop long for advice or listen to it when he asks for it?
And reading comprehension doesn't factor in big either. He skipped over the part where you told him to pull a wheel. He thinks you meant pull a tire off a wheel.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts