BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie, would like feedback from forum members. I am considering in 2007 purchasing a new 525i or 530i. Several questions to ask.

• Power difference between the 525 and 530?
  • Which options should I go with?
  • Which options should I stay away from?

Would like to hear if you are happy with your purchase and any concerns with these vehicles.

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Both the 525i and 530i get a 3 liter inline-6 engine, but more advanced software gives the 530i an additional 40hp and 35 lb/ft of torque up to 255hp and 220 lb/ft tq. (there's all the specs on www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5 )

Depending on which model you use, the equipment levels are a bit different. So I'll just say get these:

xenons, split-fold down rear seats, sport package if you have sporting aspirations, multi-contour seats (try these at dealer), and likely PDC. Cold weather package bundles the heated steering wheel, which is more useful than it sounds (my X3 has it). Logic7 is great if you're willing to pay, since I don't really like the standard 5-series audio although it's not bad.

And stay away from: active steering. I'm sure someone on this board will say they love it and such, I personally think it's something that can break and lead to unnecessary trips to the dealer. Just look at all the stickys posted on this forum.......

·
Registered
171 Posts
surburban99 said:
I am a newbie, would like feedback from forum members. I am considering in 2007 purchasing a new 525i or 530i. Several questions to ask.

Would like to hear if you are happy with your purchase and any concerns with these vehicles.

A few weeks ago I had the same questions you have now. The differances are that the 530 has a 3 stage intake manifold and the 525 has a 1 stage. The 530 produces another 35 HP. I drove the 525 and found that it had more than enough power for me so I didn't test the 530. Other than that the 530 throws in lumbar support in the seats and the active xenon headlights.

Options depend on various personal reasons. Although, I would suggest staying away from Active Cruise because of cost. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I thought the approximate 20% power boost provided in the 530i was worth the additional marginal cost.

As far as accessories, I would not recommend the premium sound. I really enjoy the bluetooth capability with the premium package. The other things that come with the premium package are also great. Cold package - My wife loves the heated seats even though we live in a warm climate and will only use them 3-4 months of the year at best. Xenons are a must. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the sport package and a head up display. I think you have to order the sport to get the HUD.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Z4luvr said:
Sometimes I wish I had gotten the sport package and a head up display. I think you have to order the sport to get the HUD.
Nah, HUD requires the navigation system. It has nothin to do with sport package.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMHO, the absolutely no brainers are:
1) Sport package, which include the great comfort seats
2) Logic 7 stereo if you are particular about your sound

Nice but not necessary
1) Active steering - nice but you will never miss it if you don't try it
2) Cold weather package (heated seats, wheel) if live in cold climate
3) PDC (parking sensor) - if you live in big city where parking is tight

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
And stay away from: active steering. I'm sure someone on this board will say they love it and such, I personally think it's something that can break and lead to unnecessary trips to the dealer. Just look at all the stickys posted on this forum.......
I think that if you look at the stickys you will see that it is the non-active steering cars that are having the biggest problems right now.

Options are personal. Try them out and see what is important for you with the money you have in mind to spend. PDC would be way down on my list as is the active cruise control. Others may put them at the top. Different strokes for different folks. For me, Sport Pkg., Active Steering, Manual tranny, Nav, HUD, Multi Contour Seats (now part of the Sport Pkg.) would be on the top of the list. Best of luck in building your own "new and personalized" Bimmer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
328 Posts
LowOrbit said:
IMHO, the absolutely no brainers are:
1) Sport package, which include the great comfort seats
2) Logic 7 stereo if you are particular about your sound

Nice but not necessary
1) Active steering - nice but you will never miss it if you don't try it
2) Cold weather package (heated seats, wheel) if live in cold climate
3) PDC (parking sensor) - if you live in big city where parking is tight
I Agree ^.

If you're not so big on power save money and get the 525i the power is adequate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I love the active steering and if you do read the stick on the steering sensor, Both active and non active steering equipped cars are having problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tested both...525xi first...then the 530xi. - second trip tested the other way, 530xi first and 525xi last...honestly, I could tell the difference, but if I hadn't driven the 530 I probably would have been just as happy with the 525! I previously had the Mercedes E320and always regretted not getting the E500, so I was thinking about not making the same mistake twice of being underpowered...but I think the difference is not that great - so if you don't feel the need, save your money and get all the options!!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
525i vs. 530i

525i is under powered if you need that little extra get up and go. If you are the opposite the 525i will be fine.

Options:

L7, NAV, HUD, Lux seating, and PDC. That should do it.

530i as you guess will prove to be faster. Same options as mentioned above.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
gbelton said:
525i is under powered if you need that little extra get up and go. If you are the opposite the 525i will be fine.

Options:

L7, NAV, HUD, Lux seating, and PDC. That should do it.

530i as you guess will prove to be faster. Same options as mentioned above.
How can you say a 525i is underpowered? If a Lexus IS350 has over 300HP then one would assume a 530 is underpowered too no?

The new 525i has a more powerful engine than its previous and very close to the 2005
530i.

Also the 530i does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds (manual) and the 525i does it in 7.3 seconds manual. Thats only 1 second.

I've driven the 530i before I got the 525i and the extra 40 HP isn't worth it when the 525i has the pick up and go enough for me and others.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
surburban99 said:

First off - welcome to the 'Fest (since none of the other posters had the courtesy...)

I opted NOT to get the sports package simply because it comes with run-flat tires and lower profile tires. I drive on lot of bad roads in Los Angeles area and low-profile tires with official BMW warnings did not make sense. The standard suspension is fine for everyday driving and unless you track your car, you will never miss Active Roll Stabilization (included with the sports package).

The standard seats are not very good, so consider spending money on the awesome Multi-contour seats (also part of Sports package).

Do you carry a local map in your current car? If so, get Navigation which include the very cool voice recognition feature.

Remember that the folks that hang out in this forum are NOT your typical BMW driver. That is why you see all the "gotta have the sports package" posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
525i is a tune down version of 530i, or 530i is a tune up version of 525i. If you like the extra 35 horse for $4000, why not..

I like the comfort access, work great and looks good without any extra button at the door. Logic 7 is a must if you enjoy listening to CD or MP3 in the car. You can't stay away from it after you listen to stock and logic 7. BMW has one of the worst Navigation system compare to other cars, but can't go anywhere without it once you got use to some computer leading the way. Bluetooth is excellent, make sure you got the compatible phone. Voice activation is one of the best. You can control pretty much everything with it and very accurate without any kind of training, except 2 words, CD and City..

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
DBU said:
First off - welcome to the 'Fest (since none of the other posters had the courtesy...)

I opted NOT to get the sports package simply because it comes with run-flat tires and lower profile tires. I drive on lot of bad roads in Los Angeles area and low-profile tires with official BMW warnings did not make sense. The standard suspension is fine for everyday driving and unless you track your car, you will never miss Active Roll Stabilization (included with the sports package).The standard seats are not very good, so consider spending money on the awesome Multi-contour seats (also part of Sports package).

Do you carry a local map in your current car? If so, get Navigation which include the very cool voice recognition feature.

Remember that the folks that hang out in this forum are NOT your typical BMW driver. That is why you see all the "gotta have the sports package" posts.
I strongly disagree with the observations about the ARS. You can feel the ARS kick in whenever you are taking a sharp turn, like an exit; you do not have to track it for ARS to be felt. The good thing about the ARS is that it is not just meant for the driver. It makes the ride a lot more comfortable for the passengers, allowing you to drive in a spirited manner even when driving others. As a driver, you can anticipate the G-forces and the body roll; it is the passengers who are spared the tossing around. I think Beewang once linked to an article on how ARS actually makes the ride smoother with the ZSP since it decouples some parts which may have transferred the impulse forces coming from a road bump. The ride of my run flat equipped 525 E60 is smoother than the non-runflat equipped E39 525; both with ZSP. The 530 has bigger 18" wheels with the ZSP, which can have a greater impact on the ride (make it harsher) than the 17" wheels on the 525 with ZSP.

The Sports Suspension does make a difference in the handling. You have drive both and see if you can make out the difference.

The bottom line is this: Most people on this board buy Bimmers for their handling characteristics, especially around curves. There are much better cars available for straight-line power or luxury point of view. Not getting the Sports Suspension compromises the best thing about Bimmers.

If you are spending 50K on a car, what is the big deal in having to change a tire or a rim over your period of ownership? It is not that people did not have bent rims before. In fact, since the run flats have stiffer walls, they might even prevent bent rims, since the rigidity of their side wall allows them to tolerate more force without deforming.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Options, options options . . .

My options are in my signature. I would add the HUD and delete the Sirtius radio - I've had nothing but problems with the reception and three trips to the dealer did not fix it. I was only considering four wheel drive and wanted the extra horspower of the 530 for safely entering highways, etc. After four months I can honestly say I'm glad I got the 530xi with the extra horsepower! I really enjoy listening to music in the car - I can crank it up without bothering anyone. I'd go with the Logic 7 to be able to add the iPod interface. I'd also get a lighter color since the Monaco Blue is tough to keep clean.

Welcome and good luck!:)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well you can get a speeding ticket in either model ! I think a part of your decision should be based on what you're used to driving. If you don't have a heavy foot, the 525 will work very nicely. Get options that you find useful,if you are a true audiophile, you'll bring your own CD with, and play it in both vehicles, with and without Logic 7 to heard the difference
for yourself to see if it makes sense for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am very happy with mine and the options that I selected. In retrospect, I would have added heated seats. I also regularly get about 29 mpg and am satisfied with the miles per gallon. I drove both the 525 and 530; for the money, I am very happy with the 525i.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.