BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father is unable to get in and out of his X3 anymore so now it's mine. He is obsessively meticulous about maintaining his cars so I know it was maintained at least to the schedule. I know it was driven very little for the last 2 years. The car has 83000 miles, I am not sure how much maintenance was done in the 2 years it sat besides oil and tire rotations. I do know between 60000 and 70000 miles the car got a new radiator and coolant, a new battery and alternator, and a new timing belt (or chain forgive me I know little about German cars but I'm pretty handy with Japanese autos).

I took it to a local indy shop that does only German cars and got an oil change since the display said it was about time. The car shows no indicator lights and drives well with zero problems.

I got presented with a suggestion of over 6000 worth of work to be done to the car NOW. I know BMWs are not cheap little toys. I also don't know how two pages of items are mission critical must be done now or the car will die when the guy spent 30 minutes with the car and won't tell me how or why on any of it. I did all repairs on my Prius and got it to 250000 miles. I had a Paseo before that, it made it 17 years. I only did basic maintenance on that, it was the car I started to learn on.

If it was your X3 where would you go from here? Forgive my long message.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It would help if you provided a list of what the mechanic said needed to be repaired. Why was the timing chain replaced? That's very low miles for the chain to be done.

I believe items that commonly go out around the 80k mark are water pump and thermostat.

Might want to change:
Transfer case oil
Differential oil
Transmission fluid
Brake fluid
Power steering fluid
Coolant expansion tank
Air filter
Cabin filter

Check for oil leaks:
Valve cover gasket
Oil filter housing
Oil cooler gasket

Optional:
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
Vanos solenoids
Oil return check valves
Accessory belt/tensioner/pulley

All of this can be done for a small fraction of the price if you do it yourself.

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
Between 80k-120k you're in for a world of hurt if you're not going to do the work yourself. The only thing accurate about the BMW's maintenance schedule is that it was designed to sell cars, not to make them last much longer than the warranty period.

The items by themselves aren't necessary the "mission critical" aspect, but the resulting chain reaction of a cheap item causing a more expensive item to fail, which in turn leads to multiple failures of expensive pieces. Case in point: people having to replace actuators or whole transfer cases just to save $260 in fluid over 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
A Prius is a well engineered, low stress machine that needs minimal maintenance. An X3 is a powerful performance machine that requires more maintenance, and much more if it's driven to its capability.

Plan on 7 cents per mile for repairs if you do them and 21 cents if your mechanic does them. If that doesn't fit the budget,sell now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts