BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2000 328i! I'm really excited :bigpimp: about it but there are a few minor issues that i need some help with.

1) The sunroof interior ?cover? appears to be stuck inside the roof it wont slide. I can feel it when reach back should i just yank it forward? It also jams the glass when i retract it.

2) I have several blown speakers :mad: and I'd like to replace them. Is there a place to get the original H/K speakers? How do the H/K speakers sound in full force? Also I'm looking at the BSW set do they sound better than the H/Ks?

3) My key buttons don't seem to work the car. I replaced the battery it lights the key but no dice on the unlock. Any ideas?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just purchased a 2000 328i! I'm really excited :bigpimp: about it but there are a few minor issues that i need some help with.

1) The sunroof interior ?cover? appears to be stuck inside the roof it wont slide. I can feel it when reach back should i just yank it forward? It also jams the glass when i retract it.

2) I have several blown speakers :mad: and I'd like to replace them. Is there a place to get the original H/K speakers? How do the H/K speakers sound in full force? Also I'm looking at the BSW set do they sound better than the H/Ks?

3) My key buttons don't seem to work the car. I replaced the battery it lights the key but no dice on the unlock. Any ideas?
1) Common problem, the sunroof cover has plastic clips that break easy. Do a search and there are part numbers and a DIY.
2) If you want to but used speakers I'm sure you could find them at e46fanatics.com under the classified section. BSW speakers, from what I have read, do sound better then stock HK and they are plug and play but some people think that for the price you could go aftermarket.

3) I had the same problem and it ended up being my GM5 module. Do a search, there is a guy who fixes them and it's worth the price. If you get a new one eventually it will fail again and the price is a lot higher then getting it fixed. There is also a DIY on how to remove it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1)
2) If you want to but used speakers I'm sure you could find them at e46fanatics.com under the classified section. BSW speakers, from what I have read, do sound better then stock HK and they are plug and play but some people think that for the price you could go aftermarket.
One more question actually 2.
With after market I'm hearing people advise against it b/c of some degradation of sound. I just want to change out the speakers and not how my speakers flatulate every time i listen to them plus i'd like some crisp sound and budget is an issue. I heard infinity reference were good speakers any thoughts?

Also what size are the speakers it appears different e46's have different sizes i have a 2000 328i.

Thanks again in advance

·
catso
3,163 Posts
One more question actually 2.
With after market I'm hearing people advise against it b/c of some degradation of sound. I just want to change out the speakers and not how my speakers flatulate every time i listen to them plus i'd like some crisp sound and budget is an issue. I heard infinity reference were good speakers any thoughts?

Also what size are the speakers it appears different e46's have different sizes i have a 2000 328i.

Thanks again in advance
If you want to save some money, you can replace the foam rubber suspension rings on the deteriorated speakers, that's usually all you need. It's cheap and pretty easy. I've done it many times, including on some very sophisticated home speakers and the results are always good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say aftermarket will sound bad what do you mean? As an average non-audiophile will I hate the sound? Or are you saying from a professional perspective it'll sound like crap? And can anyone tell me where else i could find speakers that'll fit?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
To the OP and all other noobs with early-model E46s (i.e., pre-2002)....go to the dealer and have them run the VIN # to see if your car was inspected for/ or repaired from subframe damage. There`s no point in investing any money until you know if you`re building on a good foundation....

·
Registered
523 Posts
You could do a search on subframe. I believe smolck had a big write up on what he went through.

As far as the speakers try reading up at www.e46fanatics.com under the BSW audio forum. If you do a search you will learn a lot about how the stock amplifier works on a 2 ohm rating and most speakers are 4 ohms. I believe that was the biggest issue with adding aftermarket speakers to a stock amp.

If you're new to BMW I would read the wiki. It has a lot of useful info and a lot of DIY links which will end up saving you a lot of money.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
I ran a carfax is that what you mean?
If you`re addressing my post, no.....Carfax isn`t worth much more than toilet paper....I mean *PHYSICALLY* go to the dealer with the VIN# and proof of ownership, and ask them to run the VIN to see if that car was inspected/repaired for subframe failure.

If you don`t know the history of what we`re talking about, Google "BMW E46 Subframe Lawsuit", and educate yourself....you *should* know what`s happening with the car you drive, **your life depends on it**....

Also, noobs....when responding to someone else`s post, please use the QUOTE function, so we all know what/who you`re referring to....it helps the continuity of the thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts