BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently shopping for a 2011 550i....found one that is super clean, drives smoothly, no damage and clean car fax. Car has 87k miles. What is your opinion on this purchase. Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
Ask for service history and make sure there aren't visits that needed fuel injectors (other than the CCP). Many owners have had trouble with oil consumption and Drive train malfunction warnings. I would carefully vet any V8 BMW built between 2009-2012 and, in general, would recommend stay away from them just because of the potential hassle and massive cost involved. The odds are too high that someone dumped this car due to one or both of those issues.

Best of luck in your decision, just my .02

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless you really need/want the extra power, id go for the 535GT. I have a 2011 and have never had an issue. While not a racer by any means, t's got enough power for me. They appear to be allot more reliable than the 550's...

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
Just an FYI, it's bimmer, not beamer... (hence the name of this forum)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
There are a few engine configurations that are inherently balanced and BMW sells a few:
- I6
-V8
-V12 (but not in the GT).
-H4 or 6 'boxer' (not sold by BMW, at least for cars)

While the GT is fairly heavy, I agree, I've never had an issue with the power of the 535 and it is smooth. Few other company's use an I6, and go with a V6, which requires all sorts of things to make it smooth, and then, it never really is as nice as those listed above. The hassle is, though, that it is longer. Fewer cylinders means fewer parts, less internal friction, and the potential for greater efficiency along with less expensive maintenance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just an FYI, it's bimmer, not beamer... (hence the name of this forum)
Indeed. A bimmer has four wheels while a beamer/beemer has 2 wheels.
It all started back in the day when BMW was racing motorcycles against BSA. The BSA was called a beaser and so BMW was nicknamed beemer.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you are seriously considering a GT, then I concur with the wise advice/views of daders, kosd, and jad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts