BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!
About a month ago I was given a 1988 BMW 325i Convertible. It has been sitting for years (not sure how many) but my family is trying to help me out. Great link to the repair manual. I really need it!
I have a bunch of questions, but I will start with the two most pressing.
1. Will a convertible top from a 89 325i fit on the 88? Is the top interchangeable? ( I need this answer ASAP. Hubby found one at the Junk Yard and did not get it. That was Sunday, we are moving in on Tuesday) :0:yikes:
2. Of course we put in a new battery. There is spark from the plugs but it will not start. Having in mind it has been sitting for years, what should be the next guess of it not starting? My husband is saying the fuel pump. Any guesses?
Not sure if this car is worth fixing, but right now it is free to me and I need a car. But I am excited about it.
If anyone can help, please send me a response.
Peace and Blessings!
Talk2cee

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Yes it is typical of these cars that the fuel pump will go bad while sitting unused for long periods. The injectors are prone to sticking as well from sitting. You'll want to drain the fuel from the tank as well. But the fuel pump I can almost guarantee is bad.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
I would also recommend changing the T-belt, and H2O pump as soon as you get it running as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts