BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just joined this Forum - I sold my '99 Z3 a year or so ago (stupid me) and am on the market for another. So, I thought I'd get back in the swing of things and see what is new on the BMW side of things. I've been searching for a month or so for exactly what I want in a Z3 and nothing so far. (1999 or 98, Red, Blue maybe White or any of the "weird" colors like Palmetto or Turquoise, 2.8L and manual transmission of course!) I live in the SE. One question I had - do you all think there is that much difference in the 2.3L and 2.8? I understand the difference in horsepower and stroke, I'm talking about in everyday driving to and from work or in the mountains on a Fall day, not drag racing or anything. Thanks for any advice!, Donna

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2018 M4 Competition Package•2019 540i MSport
8,363 Posts
Welcome aboard. :hi: You have been officially welcomed to the 'Fest. :thumbup:

·
Dragon Master of TEXAS!
876 Posts
Welcome to the 'FEST! :)
Other than the Hp & Tq difference, there really is no major difference. The 2.3 is a capable machine and will do fine as a daily driver. Heck I know owners with the original 1.9 and they have no issues and if you wanted more power, there is the supercharger you could dump on to the 1.9 for about $3K.

One other piece of advice I can give is to contact your local BMWCCA or ZSCCA (area representitive) to attend an event to check out the 2.3 and 2.8 Z3 and ask the owners their feelings on their rides. Hope this helps and post a photo of your ride once you get it!
Take care!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Nathan, for the info. When I bought my '99 I just happened upon the 2.8 and really liked the zip it had. So, I've never driven a 2.3 or 1.9. But, I'll check them out and I knew about the supercharger but didn't know the cost!! I'm the "car" person in our family as my husband doesn't get into the details like I do, but I grew up with classics so really enjoy cars. I've been searching for a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint for a long time but then, that's a whole new story...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts