BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey well after a month of thinking about it, I went ahead and bought the Z3 I was looking at. Unfotunately I do not have the pink slip yet, its being sent to me, and will not be able to drive it for about a week. In the mean time, I'd like to fix some of the minor problems the car has, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advise. For instance:

1) Airbag light stays on constantly, but the car has never been in an accident. The battery in it was dead for about 6 months or longer, so would that effect it?

2) The clock/gas/mile indicator etc. shows PPP and does not allow me to change the time etc.

3) I also need to check out a vibration that is coming from the driver rear side of the car while on the freeway. The bar that pulls the top down and up is broken and the eye linkage may be what is causing that noise, but I'll have to take it apart to see.

Oh by the way, the car is a 98 Z3 inline 6 2.8 liter. The car starts up and runs extremely well. Oh and one more thing, when do the timing chain guides need to be changed out? At what mileage?

Thanks...
Dan

·
Inquiring mind
879 Posts
sdz3 said:
Hey well after a month of thinking about it, I went ahead and bought the Z3 I was looking at. Unfotunately I do not have the pink slip yet, its being sent to me, and will not be able to drive it for about a week. In the mean time, I'd like to fix some of the minor problems the car has, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advise. For instance:

1) Airbag light stays on constantly, but the car has never been in an accident. The battery in it was dead for about 6 months or longer, so would that effect it?

Battery being dead would cause you to lose memory. There is a tool that resets the airbag light. Try a dealer or best advise is find local Z3 club.

2) The clock/gas/mile indicator etc. shows PPP and does not allow me to change the time etc.

Agian this could be related to the batery. Check with dealer

3) I also need to check out a vibration that is coming from the driver rear side of the car while on the freeway.

could be as simple as tire balance or a broken shock There are many old treads relating to the various noises, rattles, vibrations in these cars.

The bar that pulls the top down and up is broken and the eye linkage may be what is causing that noise, but I'll have to take it apart to see.

Oh by the way, the car is a 98 Z3 inline 6 2.8 liter. The car starts up and runs extremely well. Oh and one more thing, when do the timing chain guides need to be changed out? At what mileage?

Thanks...
Dan

FYI Dan even though this is a Z3 board most posters here are M Roadster &/or M or 3liter Coupe owners who are very much into advanced hands on nuts and bolt performance modification. Best advise for a newbee looking at fxing and mild mods id to go to the Leather Z site, Z3 solutions site, and other tuner sites like HMS motorsports, Bavarian autosport, But first go to and join Z series car club of America at www.zscca.org. lots of good people and good links.
Enjoy your new ride.. :thumbup:

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
1) You need an airbag reset tool, assuming everything is actually all right. Dealer or good independent BMW shop.

2) Hmm, no idea, but a couple of people here have had the cluster out more times than most people have the wheels off.

3) Top up or down? Maybe what you mention, but maybe wheel or tire problem. BMWs tend to be very sensitive to wheel balance, roundness, and wheel striaghtness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts